Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S randomly starts blaring music in the middle of the night...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

We've got a '15 Model S and a '19 P3D. In the last month the S has randomly started blaring radio music right at about 3am each time. It's loud enough to wake both my wife and I up...

I contacted Tesla and they sent an update to the car hoping it would resolve itself but now it is back. Have any of you experienced this? I've found some other threads but they seem to mostly be about the music randomly starting after you walk away from the car.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Any way a fob could be near or getting near the car? That’s about the only ‘legal’ way the car should wake up.

That could be it, any reason why it would only occur every so often? The key is always in the same spot inside the house which is definitely within range of the car but it seems strange that both times it occurred were between 3-4am. :confused:

maybe at that hour of the night the general "air-waves pollution" from nearby radio transmitter/receiver goes down, and the car can finally detect the fob in the house.
Try putting the fob in an anti-radio waves pouch when leaving it at home and see if it solves the problem.
Another solution could be an exorcist... o_O

Reactions: maxshuty
Any way a fob could be near or getting near the car? That’s about the only ‘legal’ way the car should wake up.
Definitely put your fob in a metallic container away from the car. For security purposes, I keep mine in a stainless steel drinking container, about 75 ft from the car. I got scared by the YouTube videos showing professional car thieves stealing Teslas right off of the homeowners driveway.

Yep it plays the same radio station my wife listens to. I purchased an RFID blocking pouch today where I'll throw the keys into. My fear is that it might be one of our phones because the garage is on the other side of our bedroom so definitely within range of bluetooth. It just seems so bizarre that it's only happened twice (10/18) and today both times seemingly at the same exact time somewhere right around 3-4am. It's never happened during the day.

The first time it was a bit scary because I thought people broke into our garage so here I am getting all prepped to confront intruders and I walk in and it's just our freaking car going nuts blaring that "something something Minnesota Vikings" song by Lizzo. :p

I'll try the key fobs in this pouch once it arrives and see if that does the trick and report back here later. If it's not the key fob's then it's going to suck if I'm forced to remember turn off bluetooth on all the devices every night before bed.

I haven't yet figured out if the car is turning the volume up or not but it does seem pretty loud but maybe that's just because it's in the middle of the night... I guess the other option would be to just remember to turn the volume all the way down

this story takes me back to the 80's when ...........

Christine-Movie-Theme-Music-Video-Director-John-Carpenter.jpg

I have noticed that if I am on the phone talking to someone and I get out of the car, the radio will actually stay on. It's quite odd. It even happens if I change the output of the audio to the phone first and then get out of the car. I've come back to my car at work hours later and the audio is still on. It's very weird.

Any similarity to your case?

I have noticed that if I am on the phone talking to someone and I get out of the car, the radio will actually stay on. It's quite odd. It even happens if I change the output of the audio to the phone first and then get out of the car. I've come back to my car at work hours later and the audio is still on. It's very weird.

Any similarity to your case?

It sounds familiar, I believe my wife has mentioned this happening a couple times to her as well... looks like you're overdue for the car to start waking you up in the middle of the night :D

I've been having a similar problem with our M3 recently, where it briefly makes bizarre noises in the middle of the night. At first I thought it was a neighbor.

I was able to finally capture one of these events on video, and found that when the noise occurs, the display also becomes distorted.

Not sure what to think of this. SC has not yet responded.

Last edited:
I've been having a similar problem with our M3 recently, where it briefly makes bizarre noises in the middle of the night. At first I thought it was a neighbor.

I was able to finally capture one of these events on video, and found that when the noise occurs, the display also becomes distorted.

Not sure what to think of this. SC has not yet responded.

Damn you !!! that is the best RR ever !!!