Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? In general it is easier for the human eye to see wide than vertical.
Do you also wish your TV at home had a vertical layout? :p

I don't navigate with my tv and I don't sit extremely to the side it either. I drove a co-workers P3D the other day at his request to compare wh/mile with my P85D on the same test loop. It was very disconcerting not being able to see instruments in front of me. I was soooo distracted having to look to the right all the time to do anything. Plus I wear reading glasses and the left side of the display is so close to me that it was fuzzy.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
I'll tell my buddy that since you have no issues with your bifocals that it can't possibly be his bifocals causing the problem being blurry across half the lens when he looks to the right.

Your sample group of one means there's no other possibility :rolleyes:

If your buddy have that bad vision I question why he/she drive at all? It seems to be very unsafe for other drivers around if one can't see things on the screen, how then detect things around the car and act upon them?

I don't navigate with my tv and I don't sit extremely to the side it either. I drove a co-workers P3D the other day at his request to compare wh/mile with my P85D on the same test loop. It was very disconcerting not being able to see instruments in front of me. I was soooo distracted having to look to the right all the time to do anything. Plus I wear reading glasses and the left side of the display is so close to me that it was fuzzy.

I think you need more time to adapt than just a quick drive. I mean, if you're used to PC and I throw a Mac at you then you would have difficulties the first minutes navigating shortcuts and other things. And of course the other way around. But after some time with that Mac you will adapt and might even find it the easier and better solution. (it's not ment to start a Mac/PC discussion and just an example ;))

I had issues with it first hours after coming from my Model S. Now after some time it is just excellent and when driving other cars it feels wrong.

This entire discussion is a bit absurde and we prefer different stuff, that is clear. But what I originally opposed against are when people with none or limited experience with the 3 make definitive statements.

If your buddy have that bad vision I question why he/she drive at all? It seems to be very unsafe for other drivers around if one can't see things on the screen, how then detect things around the car and act upon them?
They have no problem seeing a regular dash, it's the way the model 3 screen sits, a bifocal has a different prescription on the bottom of the lens, not the side.

I end up having to turn my head to see the model 3 screen where as the S I can look down with my eyes.

I’ve worn bifocals since I was two and was completely unaffected by the center screen config in the Model 3.

I get that change is hard, but we’re starting to grasp at straws...

I have bifocals but won't drive with them I need my entire field of vision sharp for driving. I get we sometimes have to adapt. Sometimes it's adapting to improvements. Sometimes it's adapting to something that is made worse....as it is in this case.

In this case, I don't have to adapt. I won't buy an M3. If they change the S to be similar, I won't buy that either when it comes time for me to get a new one. I have about 3.5 years left before I start shopping. I may end up getting a clean used low mileage S that is the last to have the larger vertical better integrated into the dash screen. I will miss the nosecone and can barely stand the duck bill faced look but that by itself isn't a deal killer.

Reactions: kavyboy and Inside
They have no problem seeing a regular dash, it's the way the model 3 screen sits, a bifocal has a different prescription on the bottom of the lens, not the side.

I end up having to turn my head to see the model 3 screen where as the S I can look down with my eyes.
May I make a suggestion? Have you tried bifocal contacts? They don't pose the same problem since they are not made the same way as bifocal lenses in glasses. Some people may not want or are unable to wear contacts. YMMV

Reactions: pilotSteve
May I make a suggestion? Have you tried bifocal contacts? They don't pose the same problem since they are not made the same way as bifocal lenses in glasses. Some people may not want or are unable to wear contacts. YMMV

No such thing. Can't get around the laws of physics. Now if you mean monovision(two prescriptions..one for each eye) or multi-focal, that's a different thing but they mess with your vision WAY more than bifocal each for different reasons.

I’d be curious as to which law of physics got violated here.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/bifocals.htm

...unless you could design a contact lens that doesn't move when you look down :rolleyes: But you understand that any lens that moves with your eye can't be bifocal. Apparently they achieve this non moving lens by having it locked into place by your lower eyelid. That would drive me BONKERS.

Sounds plausible (although I'm sad the refresh would come that late) except for one thing. I bet it's Model 3 permanent magnet REAR and induction motor in FRONT. The reasoning is: 1) permanent magnet has a few percentage points more efficiency, and since most of the power is delivered in the rear, you get the greatest benefit to total efficiency by having it there; 2) the benefit of induction is the ability to do torque sleep in the front while power is delivered to the rear, so induction goes in the front; 3) cooling is easier in permanent magnet motors, so having those in the rear allows track use (as in the M3P) without going into limp home mode. Also, the rear permanent magnet motor may need to be larger than in the 3, perhaps a double-sized design for Model S performance versions.
I was wrong, CraZ8 was right - the permanent magnet motor is in front. It was just announced. I bow to you and your sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.