Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the artist also does slightly altered renderings; I do like me a flat gray actually.
gray away.jpeg

The interesting part for me is that the change in badging to "dual motor" now makes more sense if the tri-motor rumors are correct:

The Tesla Model S Could Be About to Cross a Crucial Electric Car Milestone | Inverse

From the article:
The refresh is also expected to offer a tri-motor design, similar to the $200,000 second-generation Roadster expected to launch next year. Current tests involve a “micro-motor” in the front and two larger motors in the rear. Both standard and performance variants are under testing, meaning enthusiasts may have a new most-coveted electric car on the way.​

Anyone else thinking the same way?

That’s an interesting thought. Dual motor badging foreshadowing tri motor badging. Would be super into this.

Ok - simple question...is waiting for the refresh worth it? The active aero is nice - but I like the current interior - unless it will be a lot quieter.
I hear the door seals are to be changed so the car WILL be quieter. The interior will be similar to the 3 but more features. Personally I would have loved a curved roadster screen but what the hell I’ll wait and see.

Tesla should do model years like everyone else, then its clear about what is available. It shows respect for the customer.
Versus make a major change, announce it several weeks later.
Plus sometimes they use up the old parts for a while so you not exactly sure what you have if you order then.
That is weak and a sign of bad planning.

And yes this would likely require more planning with your suppliers.

Seems strange to change the motor setup after the Raven update. That makes the raven update a very short run and costly for no reason...

now I need to hold my deposit a little longer.

I don't know that it cost anything more than it would have to do it later. The new front motor is will remain after the Sept-ish refresh. It was something that they could get done and put away, and not have to worry about later. The only issue that I see is that you're going to have a short run of cars with slightly different drive system software than either the long run of cars that came before and the, presumably, long run coming afterward.

I wonder if the new rear motors are just going to be two of the current M3 rear motor. It would make a lot of sense.

Tesla should do model years like everyone else, then its clear about what is available. It shows respect for the customer.
Versus make a major change, announce it several weeks later.
Plus sometimes they use up the old parts for a while so you not exactly sure what you have if you order then.
That is weak and a sign of bad planning.

And yes this would likely require more planning with your suppliers.
Model years are meaningless to all car manufacturers. Sometimes they release the "new" model year in September, some times later, some times earlier.

Reactions: cdub
...I wonder if the new rear motors are just going to be two of the current M3 rear motor...
One of the motors has to freewheel or else range suffers. The PMSR motor doesn't freewheel, since the magnets drag if not engaged.

On the 3, since the RWD came first, the PMSR is in back and an induction in front.

On the S/X raven the PMSR is in front, which is is convenient since there is no RWD S/X.

Many are speculating that the new roadster will have a single PMSR in front for effeciency and range but dual induction in back for performance, so likely if they put dual rear motors is the S/X it would be the same setup.

Last edited:
Well, I am driving to Richmond, VA (from Hampton, VA) for my first really close look and drive of the Model S. I have been lurking here for some time and "think" I know many of the pros and cons of the Tesla cars and Tesla company. I have tentatively decided to buy a Model S BUT when I discussed the upcoming refresh with the salesperson on the phone, he denied any knowledge of a refresh. He said that the recent changes are it for some time to come.

I have bought a lot of cars in the past and know that car salespersons don't always tell the truth :mad:. But, for some reason, I was expecting better from Tesla. ;) I am still making the trip and will take a close look and drive the car for as many miles (and conditions) as I can.

Any words of wisdom from the baptized? :D

Well, I am driving to Richmond, VA (from Hampton, VA) for my first really close look and drive of the Model S. I have been lurking here for some time and "think" I know many of the pros and cons of the Tesla cars and Tesla company. I have tentatively decided to buy a Model S BUT when I discussed the upcoming refresh with the salesperson on the phone, he denied any knowledge of a refresh. He said that the recent changes are it for some time to come.

I have bought a lot of cars in the past and know that car salespersons don't always tell the truth :mad:. But, for some reason, I was expecting better from Tesla. ;) I am still making the trip and will take a close look and drive the car for as many miles (and conditions) as I can.

Any words of wisdom from the baptized? :D

As @ucmndd and @Bill_75D said.

You can’t blame the staff as they are often the last to know.
And for sure you will buy it and days or weeks later a new feature or hardware change will come. Out of the blue.
Welcome to the Tesla experience.

Happened to me too (replacement of 60 by 70D, LTE,...).
But in the end, great car.
Still today I cannot find any rational argument to replace it by a newer one.

Hope you join the party, but beware of the addiction

Reactions: computerchuck
Status
Not open for further replies.