Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor is Sep so if you can wait until then I likely would. Plus more likely to get HW3.0 instead of HW2.5. Naturally if you like a display behind the steering wheel and it gets dropped in Sep then things might get tricky. Have to believe they will have something special to make the S worth the extra money at that point.

But at some point you will need to commit and could still miss out on something major. I think with these Raven improvements its a reasonable purchase at the moment. i.e. its a significant enhancement.

Rumor is Sep so if you can wait until then I likely would. Plus more likely to get HW3.0 instead of HW2.5. Naturally if you like a display behind the steering wheel and it gets dropped in Sep then things might get tricky. Have to believe they will have something special to make the S worth the extra money at that point.

But at some point you will need to commit and could still miss out on something major. I think with these Raven improvements its a reasonable purchase at the moment. i.e. its a significant enhancement.
I don’t see me spending $100,000 for a Model S that has a $35,000 Model 3 interior

Apparently the artist also does slightly altered renderings; I do like me a flat gray actually.View attachment 416415

What's with the blade antenna. Tesla doesn't do exterior antennas.

I don’t see me spending $100,000 for a Model S that has a $35,000 Model 3 interior

Yup.

The market for the Model S was strong for it's first 5-6 years because it was the only thing out there. A lot of people were pushed up into that car who would otherwise never considered a $100K car because it was all that was out there. Now there is the Model 3 and the Y is coming. There are still advantages to the S, but with the same interior, most people are going to opt for the cheaper car.

If the S has the same interior as the 3, it's going to have to start around $45-$50K.

As for model years, Tesla does tend to release major changes in the first part of a quarter. But they also don't announce it until they do it, which is disconcerting for buyers. With other car makers there is plenty of warning when a major change is coming.

I had to postpone buying a Raven S, and the Loyalty adviser ended his mail with this:
"Always happy to explore options with you once the full refresh happens this fall."

Taken with a grain of salt, but still interesting to be said at all from someone internally.

A natural response to someone who delays their order because of rumors of a refresh. I think he’s just referring to your decision in natural conversation, not from any specific knowledge.

Tesla released HW 3.0 to S & X before the Model 3 did, and it's in all currently manufactured Tesla's, maybe I misunderstand your point?

There is another thread were folks are checking their HW version with build dates after the Elon date
-Tesla support folks may not have accurate info
-You have to check the part number to be sure.
-some folks who did not order FSD have HW2.5, kind of OK
-some folks who did order FSD have HW3.0, kind of a bummer as later replacement needed.

One strategy would be to hold off until the new design is made public. If you like the new design, order it. Otherwise, purchase an inventory Raven for a substantial discount.

A natural response to someone who delays their order because of rumors of a refresh. I think he’s just referring to your decision in natural conversation, not from any specific knowledge.

I delayed it not for an interior refresh, but rather we switched the decision to get a Raven X. I actually prefer the current interior setup and mentioned it many times, so that’s why his comment struck me as odd. I definitely outlined that I do not look forward to any interior changes.

Well, I am driving to Richmond, VA (from Hampton, VA) for my first really close look and drive of the Model S. I have been lurking here for some time and "think" I know many of the pros and cons of the Tesla cars and Tesla company. I have tentatively decided to buy a Model S BUT when I discussed the upcoming refresh with the salesperson on the phone, he denied any knowledge of a refresh. He said that the recent changes are it for some time to come.

I have bought a lot of cars in the past and know that car salespersons don't always tell the truth :mad:. But, for some reason, I was expecting better from Tesla. ;) I am still making the trip and will take a close look and drive the car for as many miles (and conditions) as I can.

Any words of wisdom from the baptized? :D
Tesla has not announced any changes beyond the current "Raven." There are rumors of an interior refresh in September. My best guess about rumors of changes beyond an interior refresh is that they will happen in a future year if at all, but I don't know better than others.

Tesla makes changes on an ongoing basis, and they're usually not known in advance. The current S is excellent. People have said the best day to buy a Tesla is today, any day.

^^^ This is exactly my plan! ^^^
I’m thinking about the same thing, but I’m worried that the free Ludicrous upgrade for existing owners will go away after the refresh is announced, and apparently the free upgrade doesn’t apply to inventory cars (only custom orders). I don’t see Tesla discounting the inventory Ravens by more than $20,000 USD (if the Ludicrous bonus goes away). Argh, I’m so torn. I recently cancelled my order for a Ludicrous Raven Model S, partially because of the low-ball trade-in offer from Tesla (which they don’t give you until after you order, so I’ll need time to try to sell privately), but also partially due to the big refresh rumour announced by Tesla Kim. If I can get a decent price for my 75D, then the Ludicrous Raven S will be a great deal and I wouldn’t mind so much if there was a big refresh a year or two later, but I would surely kick myself if I missed a major refresh by 3 months like the one Kim announced. Do you guys think the free Ludicrous upgrade will last much longer?

I’m thinking about the same thing, but I’m worried that the free Ludicrous upgrade for existing owners will go away after the refresh is announced, and apparently the free upgrade doesn’t apply to inventory cars (only custom orders). I don’t see Tesla discounting the inventory Ravens by more than $20,000 USD (if the Ludicrous bonus goes away). Argh, I’m so torn. I recently cancelled my order for a Ludicrous Raven Model S, partially because of the low-ball trade-in offer from Tesla (which they don’t give you until after you order, so I’ll need time to try to sell privately), but also partially due to the big refresh rumour announced by Tesla Kim. If I can get a decent price for my 75D, then the Ludicrous Raven S will be a great deal and I wouldn’t mind so much if there was a big refresh a year or two later, but I would surely kick myself if I missed a major refresh by 3 months like the one Kim announced. Do you guys think the free Ludicrous upgrade will last much longer?

I'm in the same boat, but I have decided to go for the Raven if I manage to sell privately. Need to just cancel, otherwise.

Reactions: SmartElectric
^^^ This is exactly my plan! ^^^

This is my strategy as well. It would seem there are at least a few of us. :)

Just sold my P90D for $49k when Tesla only offered me $34k. Now investing that money while I wait for the September version to be announced. I definitely recommend selling private, as many here have suggested. I think it’ll be a win/win no matter the case. Also hoping Elon won’t make the truck look stupid. That may be an option for those who don’t mind waiting another year.

But back to the subject at hand... let’s hope the minimalist interior is much better than what we see in the M3!

Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
This is my strategy as well. It would seem there are at least a few of us. :)

But back to the subject at hand... let’s hope the minimalist interior is much better than what we see in the M3!

Any interior in the redesigned Model S that looks like a Model 3 will kill Model S/X sales. I use the instrument cluster all of the time when on Autopilot watching the IC Navigation screen. Moving this to the main center screen is going to create a safety issue by requiring more time to look to the right instead of looking down and then back up.

Elon is making a huge mistake by putting a $35,000 interior in a $100,000 car. I definitely will not be selling my S90D to purchase a redesigned Model S.

Any interior in the redesigned Model S that looks like a Model 3 will kill Model S/X sales. I use the instrument cluster all of the time when on Autopilot watching the IC Navigation screen. Moving this to the main center screen is going to create a safety issue by requiring more time to look to the right instead of looking down and then back up.

It's silly to suggest the center screen is a safety issue. Somehow, one way or another, hundreds of thousands of people are figuring it out just fine. It's also quite silly to suggest that just because you can't or won't adapt nobody else will and therefore "sales will tank". Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.