TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S range and interior update imminent?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thorbjorn, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

The Model 3 is more limited in what can be displayed at one time than the Model S/X because everything needs to be shoved into the same screen. I don't like the Model 3 screen layout at all and when they made the Model S/X screen look more like the Model 3 with version 9, it was a major step backwards IMO. The utility of the center screen went way down with the elimination of the split screen with options of what you wanted on each half. I also loath the map being under the top icons. The icons get lost in the map sometimes, which is minimally annoying and possibly dangerous if you have to take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time to find the stupid icon.

The ability to select what to display on the wings of the instrument display is a great feature and losing it would be another step backwards. We seem to be in a constant battle with Elon who wants everything minimized and the rest of us who want information available to us.

• Like x 6
  2. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

You are forgetting that theS will have a small driver screen which will display some info(speed, turn signals?) and a matching small screen in front of the passenger ( rumored to be a G meter but I can see a clock function maybe, speculation here on function)

3. S85D

S85D Member

You must be a Model 3 owner to not understand having to look at a center screen takes longer than glancing down to see the Model S/X instrument cluster.

I was going to buy a Model 3 for my wife until I saw the minimalist interior. If Tesla had taken the Model S/X interior design and installed a 15" screen vertically, I would have purchased one. Opinions are like rear ends and every person has one. There are many other Model S/X owners that agree with me.

Forget safety issues, putting a $35,000 interior into a $100,000 car is not going to sell well.

• Like x 2
  4. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

If the model 3 interior had been anything like the S I would have purchased a new 3. Instead I bought a pre-owned S 75D. Love the car but from what has been leaked, speculated and predicted I don't see myself buying the refreshed S. My fear is a couple of years down the road a pre-refreshed 2019 S are going to be bringing a premium.

5. S85D

S85D Member

CraZ8, I am aware of the potential small driver screen that will display speed, turn signals, etc. Read Wdolson's replay just above yours and his last comment says:

The ability to select what to display on the wings of the instrument display is a great feature and losing it would be another step backwards. We seem to be in a constant battle with Elon who wants everything minimized and the rest of us who want information available to us.

I totally agree with Wdolson.

• Like x 3
  6. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I own an S. Looking at the screen in the 3 doesn’t take any measurably “longer” amount of time. Hitting the bottom of the MCU in the S/X with your eyes is far more of a “safety” concern than the arrangement of the 3, which keeps all of the info high and in in your forward path.

Yes, let’s forget safety issues, that was my point. Let’s also forget the “sales will tank” idea, because like I said, that’s silly too.

• Like x 5
  7. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

To each their own. I much prefer V9. And I find the "wings" on the instrument display to be superfluous. I do like the open visibility of the 3, and would happily take an S with that general style. I do expect that the construction materials and details would substantially better than with the 3.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

• Informative x 1
  9. DanCar

DanCar Member

At the Tesla investor meeting Elon confirmed a 400 mile range car is coming soon. quote: "... won't be long before we have a 400 mile range car."

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Elon time. Love him. It will come true the only question is when. :)

• Like x 1
  11. Tes La Ferrari

Isn't the model S raven long range already a 400 mile car ? (600kms in Canada)

12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

No it is only 370 miles.

13. Tes La Ferrari

Yes - you are right - just checked my math.

14. Tes La Ferrari

Wonder if it will be a software release on the existing long range or an actual hardware upgrade ?

• Funny x 1
  15. tyson

tyson Member

My bet is on redesign. Even though the 2170 may not be more dense than the 18650 in terms of wh/g or kg the overall pack design is since it doesn't incorporate the quick change capability that the S and X have now. Since Tesla has long since abandoned the idea of pack swaps I would bet that they optimize the weight of the pack to get the just under 10% gain they need to get to 400 miles. That along with some possible weight reduction in the redesigned interior could get them there without any real increases in overall kwhr capacity of the battery.

To be clear this only comes with the complete redesign of the car... Not just an interior refresh.

• Helpful x 1
  16. Jabbahop

Jabbahop Member

My guess is that there will be a interior refresh that leverages some of the 3/Y interior design and parts (HVAC, MCU) as they have for autopilot. I also think there is a chance they use two model 3 motors in the rear to get higher efficiency/range and get cost savings across more cars.

17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I’m just hoping more people order the current raven model s so that if tesla decides to integrate the model 3 interior into the model s, I’ll have more options on the used market.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  19. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

I’ll have a beautiful Black S + P + L with your name on it lol lol lll.

• Like x 1
  20. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

That’s the exact combo I’ll be in the market for.