Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, the issue with the single screen interior isn’t so much about needing to look to the right, it’s more about the lack of simultaneous information that can be displayed. I like having my close-up nav in the left binnacle display and energy graph in the right, while having my full-trip nav, rear view camera and music in the main screen. I like having the rear view camera visible at all times and it would be a real pain to switch back and forth between that and the navigation. I know Elon is focusing on the FSD future, but even when FSD becomes available, I’d still want to drive manually part of the time since the car is so much fun to drive, and I’ll want all of the information that the current two-screen setup supplies!

It's silly to suggest the center screen is a safety issue. Somehow, one way or another, hundreds of thousands of people are figuring it out just fine. It's also quite silly to suggest that just because you can't or won't adapt nobody else will and therefore "sales will tank". Come on.

The Model 3 is more limited in what can be displayed at one time than the Model S/X because everything needs to be shoved into the same screen. I don't like the Model 3 screen layout at all and when they made the Model S/X screen look more like the Model 3 with version 9, it was a major step backwards IMO. The utility of the center screen went way down with the elimination of the split screen with options of what you wanted on each half. I also loath the map being under the top icons. The icons get lost in the map sometimes, which is minimally annoying and possibly dangerous if you have to take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time to find the stupid icon.

For me, the issue with the single screen interior isn’t so much about needing to look to the right, it’s more about the lack of simultaneous information that can be displayed. I like having my close-up nav in the left binnacle display and energy graph in the right, while having my full-trip nav, rear view camera and music in the main screen. I like having the rear view camera visible at all times and it would be a real pain to switch back and forth between that and the navigation. I know Elon is focusing on the FSD future, but even when FSD becomes available, I’d still want to drive manually part of the time since the car is so much fun to drive, and I’ll want all of the information that the current two-screen setup supplies!

The ability to select what to display on the wings of the instrument display is a great feature and losing it would be another step backwards. We seem to be in a constant battle with Elon who wants everything minimized and the rest of us who want information available to us.

It's silly to suggest the center screen is a safety issue. Somehow, one way or another, hundreds of thousands of people are figuring it out just fine. It's also quite silly to suggest that just because you can't or won't adapt nobody else will and therefore "sales will tank". Come on.

You must be a Model 3 owner to not understand having to look at a center screen takes longer than glancing down to see the Model S/X instrument cluster.

I was going to buy a Model 3 for my wife until I saw the minimalist interior. If Tesla had taken the Model S/X interior design and installed a 15" screen vertically, I would have purchased one. Opinions are like rear ends and every person has one. There are many other Model S/X owners that agree with me.

Forget safety issues, putting a $35,000 interior into a $100,000 car is not going to sell well.

Reactions: jdw and Alset4S
You must be a Model 3 owner to not understand having to look at a center screen takes longer than glancing down to see the Model S/X instrument cluster.

I was going to buy a Model 3 for my wife until I saw the minimalist interior. If Tesla had taken the Model S/X interior design and installed a 15" screen vertically, I would have purchased one. Opinions are like rear ends and every person has one. There are many other Model S/X owners that agree with me.

Forget safety issues, putting a $35,000 interior into a $100,000 car is not going to sell well.
If the model 3 interior had been anything like the S I would have purchased a new 3. Instead I bought a pre-owned S 75D. Love the car but from what has been leaked, speculated and predicted I don't see myself buying the refreshed S. My fear is a couple of years down the road a pre-refreshed 2019 S are going to be bringing a premium.

You are forgetting that theS will have a small driver screen which will display some info(speed, turn signals?) and a matching small screen in front of the passenger ( rumored to be a G meter but I can see a clock function maybe, speculation here on function)

CraZ8, I am aware of the potential small driver screen that will display speed, turn signals, etc. Read Wdolson's replay just above yours and his last comment says:

The ability to select what to display on the wings of the instrument display is a great feature and losing it would be another step backwards. We seem to be in a constant battle with Elon who wants everything minimized and the rest of us who want information available to us.

I totally agree with Wdolson.

I own an S. Looking at the screen in the 3 doesn’t take any measurably “longer” amount of time. Hitting the bottom of the MCU in the S/X with your eyes is far more of a “safety” concern than the arrangement of the 3, which keeps all of the info high and in in your forward path.

Opinions are like rear ends and every person has one. There are many other Model S/X owners that agree with me.

Forget safety issues

Yes, let’s forget safety issues, that was my point. Let’s also forget the “sales will tank” idea, because like I said, that’s silly too.

The Model 3 is more limited in what can be displayed at one time than the Model S/X because everything needs to be shoved into the same screen. I don't like the Model 3 screen layout at all and when they made the Model S/X screen look more like the Model 3 with version 9, it was a major step backwards IMO. The utility of the center screen went way down with the elimination of the split screen with options of what you wanted on each half. I also loath the map being under the top icons. The icons get lost in the map sometimes, which is minimally annoying and possibly dangerous if you have to take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time to find the stupid icon.

To each their own. I much prefer V9. And I find the "wings" on the instrument display to be superfluous. I do like the open visibility of the 3, and would happily take an S with that general style. I do expect that the construction materials and details would substantially better than with the 3.

My bet is on redesign. Even though the 2170 may not be more dense than the 18650 in terms of wh/g or kg the overall pack design is since it doesn't incorporate the quick change capability that the S and X have now. Since Tesla has long since abandoned the idea of pack swaps I would bet that they optimize the weight of the pack to get the just under 10% gain they need to get to 400 miles. That along with some possible weight reduction in the redesigned interior could get them there without any real increases in overall kwhr capacity of the battery.

To be clear this only comes with the complete redesign of the car... Not just an interior refresh.

• Helpful
Reactions: GeoX750
My guess is that there will be a interior refresh that leverages some of the 3/Y interior design and parts (HVAC, MCU) as they have for autopilot. I also think there is a chance they use two model 3 motors in the rear to get higher efficiency/range and get cost savings across more cars.

At the Tesla investor meeting Elon confirmed a 400 mile range car is coming soon. quote: "... won't be long before we have a 400 mile range car."

https://electrek.co/2019/06/11/tesla-400-mile-electric-car/

Screen-Shot-2019-06-11-at-2.52.33-PM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.