Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That energy density of batteries will incrementally increase over the next 5 years?

That’s not exactly Miss Cleo level speculation.

Batteries will get better, range will get better over time by various means including more efficient engines. But what are the other changes - improved ui, will they ruin the excellent portrait mode tesla s&x center panel or not? Will their be other upgrades? Rumors are they make it landscape, and have a smaller lcd panel behind the wheel.

But what are the other changes - improved ui, will they ruin the excellent portrait mode tesla s&x center panel or not? Will their be other upgrades? Rumors are they make it landscape, and have a smaller lcd panel behind the wheel.

Why not make best of both worlds? The monitor could have a rotating flex mount - landscape when playing games or watching movies, and portrait whenever.

• Disagree
Reactions: lux_cars
Batteries will get better, range will get better over time by various means including more efficient engines. But what are the other changes - improved ui, will they ruin the excellent portrait mode tesla s&x center panel or not? Will their be other upgrades? Rumors are they make it landscape, and have a smaller lcd panel behind the wheel.
Better buy in the next few months then because the new interior is being unveiled in September and it’s a certainty to have a 3 like landscape screen with two small symmetrical read outs on either side as you mentioned. But you will have the new drivetrain.

Better buy in the next few months then because the new interior is being unveiled in September and it’s a certainty to have a 3 like landscape screen with two small symmetrical read outs on either side as you mentioned. But you will have the new drivetrain.

If they slash the price to much closer to the 3, they might get away with that, but if they change the screens like that and keep the price anywhere near the current price, sales will likely tank.

@CraZ8 — If unveiled in September, when do you anticipate first deliveries to customers in the US?

I agree. The new interior is most certainly in pre production
At this point I'm not sure what it would take to get me to buy a new one. 400 mile range, maybe some improved ui or panel speed or new ui capabilities (the supposed changes in orientation are negatives). The loss of sunroof is a negative.

But I have the bigger problem that my 2015 s has a dead center panel after an os upgrade and it will be a month by the time they get me in to service it. I have no idea if they'll claim it was hardware and I'll be out thousands of they'll just reboot it somehow and it will be fixed with 5 minutes of effort on their time. I'm feeling frustrated about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
At this point I'm not sure what it would take to get me to buy a new one. 400 mile range, maybe some improved ui or panel speed or new ui capabilities (the supposed changes in orientation are negatives). The loss of sunroof is a negative.

I don’t know if I could be convinced by 400 miles at all. Anything over 300 is plenty, so if the smaller pack has 300, I would get that one, even if I wouldn’t improve much over my 90D.

I’d really like a nicer interior and maybe more headroom on the rear seats. If they want to keep the price point, they really need to make it a luxury car IMO, just higher driving range won’t fly. Tons of people buy the Model 3 with 310 miles max and in Europe the lower range Jag and Audi outsell the S and X. People don’t buy an S Class because it has more driving range than a C Class... the same should apply to the S and the 3 and eventually X and Y.

And maybe a slight exterior refresh would also help existing owners parting from their current cars.

(...) and in Europe the lower range Jag and Audi outsell the S and X. .
In Norway I think this is partly an issue with a backlog of reservation holders for the E-tron and I-pace. E-tron will be done with the waiting list closer to christmas, while I-pace should be ajour this summer.
In June, the S and X sold pretty well, almost similar numbers as the I-pace, due to aggressive discounts on inventory cars and low interest rates.

Fast-charging the I-pace is slow and expensive, the e-tron only expensive in Europe, so an updated S and X with some new and updated features and competetive price would probably boost sales again here. I am thinking more advanced seats with more adjustablilty, lower noise levels, ambient lightning, rear hitch for the S, CCS plug, roof rack option for the X and lower SC waiting times.

If they slash the price to much closer to the 3, they might get away with that, but if they change the screens like that and keep the price anywhere near the current price, sales will likely tank.

I don't think so. I've driven a 3 and I'm really impressed. Spruce the interior up, add a few luxo options, and I'm very happy with the general styling of the 3 interior for the S.

Status
Not open for further replies.