Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if range is much of a big deal in the EU? Not just because the EU has better charging infrastructure - do Europeans take as many 500/1000/2000 mile trips as Americans?
I can't speak for the whole of the EU, but we go somewhere to get somewhere, we don't take a 'road trip'. It's likely also there-and-back, so if that somewhere is 150 miles off, we'll have to stop off to supercharge once even in the Raven LR.

TBH the Raven makes these trips easy, but I guess there is a small market somewhere.
More likely to be a mindset change needed than greater range.

The S is simply way too big for European cities. As a European, one of my favorite things about America are huge roads. I am currently in Europe driving a rented Passat and I really wish I just rented a Golf or something even smaller. The roads here can be so small and narrow I can barely pass through occasionally. I can’t even imagine driving my S here. It makes a lot of sense that the 3 is way more popular with Europeans. Not only because of the price but convenience.

I was thinking that in my reply, but didn't quite get it out. Really the only market for large vehicles in Europe are commercial vehicles and top end luxury cars. For much of the history of the car industry there has been a strong market for large vehicles for the average person in the US. The Japanese were able to get into the US market because when oil prices shot up the only small US made cars were targeted to those who couldn't afford a large car. Today having a big truck or SUV mostly fills that niche.

In the older city cores you see more small cars because those roads tend to be narrow, but anywhere that has streets built after WW II have wide streets with plenty of room for large cars.

The S and X really are sized for the North American market. They sold well overseas before the 3 came along because they were all that was available with a decent range and the supercharger network.

I'm wondering if range is much of a big deal in the EU? Not just because the EU has better charging infrastructure - do Europeans take as many 500/1000/2000 mile trips as Americans?

I've heard reviewers of the iPace and e-Tron comment that the relatively poor range of those cars compared to Tesla was not as big a drawback in Europe as it is in the US. Europe is a much smaller place Calais to Warsaw is 900 miles. Los Angels to New York is 2800 miles.

Europe also has a much better intercity rail network than the US.

I have a four year old P85D, which I still love. I would like its ultimate replacement to be another MS. However I am much less inclined to replace my current car unless what is offered is at least somewhat restyled, inside or out. Without that, I would feel I was paying a great deal of money to get nothing new. Yes, there have been many little improvements since I bought my car, but there are also what I consider to be downgrades from what I now own, ranging from no leather to no yacht floor to poorer headlights (than my HID) to no sunroof to no alcantara on the dash to - most important of all - 48 amp charging vs. 80 in my car. And since I have done all the charging for the car's 50k miles at home, this is a big deal, particularly since I sometimes charge between trips in the middle of the day. So with nearly four years left on the extended warranty I have no reason to purchase a new MS unless the current car degrades into an unfixable lemon, which it has not done yet. I am perfectly willing to wait the company out for multiple years. Yet with all this said, I would seriously consider plunking down $100k+ on a new performance MS if there was an interesting restyling of the car. Call this irrational psychology, but then most human psychology is irrational. But the point is that I don't think my psychology is unique, which is something that is well understood by all the other car companies that actually refresh and restyle their cars. Unfortunately, I don't think this is understood by the brilliant engineer who runs Tesla, which is a loss for me, since I don't get to buy a new car, and a little loss for him, because he doesn't get more revenue from me, or from all the other owners who feel the same way that I do.

I can assure you that he gets it. They're resource constrained (people AND money), and so they're scrambling from hot spot to hot spot. I'm sure that he would love to drop a full refresh on the S/X today.

But... it's not happening yet it seems, so he and his team get together to figure out how to apply lipstick to the pig. And then Elon pulls out his phone and does his tweets.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ok the word on high just filtered down. Interior refresh moved back to first quarter of 2020. Have no idea why. So add about 6 months to your timeline
@CraZ8, you've been stringing people along with your "refresh" rumors for nearly 2 years now (since Sep '17). Have you considered the damage you might have done to Tesla with all the people who might have bought a Model S, but put it off because your claimed "refresh" was just around the corner, and then kept. moving. the. goal. posts. again and again and again and again?

Anyone who listens to this crackpot is in for great disappointment.

Wow! I do not understand the hate for the information CraZ8 has provided this forum on this issue. Everyone here is free to ignore or consider the information he provides. There is no need to resort to snippiness ("crackpot" and "captain obvious"). Let's not forget CraZ8 is not the only one out there who has been indicating some sort of update was coming. However, for the most part, he has provided the most specific information and has been spot on at times. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't purchase a $100K+ car every year or two. I would be heartbroken to learn of a significant update a few months after I made such a purchase. I have the luxury of being able to bide my time. I appreciate any and all information I can obtain and then weed out what I feel is worthless or marginal. I appreciate the information CraZ8 provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.