TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S range and interior update imminent?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thorbjorn, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I was thinking that in my reply, but didn't quite get it out. Really the only market for large vehicles in Europe are commercial vehicles and top end luxury cars. For much of the history of the car industry there has been a strong market for large vehicles for the average person in the US. The Japanese were able to get into the US market because when oil prices shot up the only small US made cars were targeted to those who couldn't afford a large car. Today having a big truck or SUV mostly fills that niche.

In the older city cores you see more small cars because those roads tend to be narrow, but anywhere that has streets built after WW II have wide streets with plenty of room for large cars.

The S and X really are sized for the North American market. They sold well overseas before the 3 came along because they were all that was available with a decent range and the supercharger network.

I've heard reviewers of the iPace and e-Tron comment that the relatively poor range of those cars compared to Tesla was not as big a drawback in Europe as it is in the US. Europe is a much smaller place Calais to Warsaw is 900 miles. Los Angels to New York is 2800 miles.

Europe also has a much better intercity rail network than the US.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  2. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Maybe we should rename this thread to Model S range and interior update ongoing?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I can assure you that he gets it. They're resource constrained (people AND money), and so they're scrambling from hot spot to hot spot. I'm sure that he would love to drop a full refresh on the S/X today.

But... it's not happening yet it seems, so he and his team get together to figure out how to apply lipstick to the pig. And then Elon pulls out his phone and does his tweets.

• Funny x 1
  4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

And the hood, and the front radiator core structure, and the covers under the hood, and the frunk tub, plus a bunch of other parts. It was just about everything from the windshield forward except the fenders.

5. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

Ok the word on high just filtered down. Interior refresh moved back to first quarter of 2020. Have no idea why. So add about 6 months to your timeline

• Informative x 9
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Model S still uses the same tired tail lights from 2012...

• Like x 1
  7. Fred42

Fred42 Member

Source?

• Like x 1
  8. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Tired? I think they looked great then and still look great now.

• Like x 8
  9. SO16

SO16 Active Member

It is amazing what some people find to complain about. Especially when getting into anything other than a Tesla STILL feels old and tired.

• Like x 3
  10. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

Deep inside, confidential and well placed

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. iqless

iqless Member

Does this source have a track record

• Funny x 1
  12. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Telsa will never say until it's imminent as they don't want you to stop buying the current version until the new version is about to released! Public company now... profits, profits, profits...

13. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

Yes quite good. Told you about the Raven upgrade before Teslarati or Electrek dropped the info. But the best info is only fleeting as top management is as you know mercurial so upgrades and timelines change like the wind

14. iqless

iqless Member

Right. So any more info on it apart from Q1 2020? Is it interior only, and what kind of interior changes? What about exterior? Any info?

15. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

You can go back through my posts to find out what all is entailed. I discussed at length what is to be changed

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. S85D

S85D Member

This is good news. Tesla will not destroy Model S and Model X sales until Q1 2020 when they put a $35,000 interior into $100,000+ thousand cars.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

@CraZ8, you've been stringing people along with your "refresh" rumors for nearly 2 years now (since Sep '17). Have you considered the damage you might have done to Tesla with all the people who might have bought a Model S, but put it off because your claimed "refresh" was just around the corner, and then kept. moving. the. goal. posts. again and again and again and again?

Anyone who listens to this crackpot is in for great disappointment.

18. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

#2718 FlatSix911, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Thank you captain obvious... you have lost all credibility here on the timing of any announcement after 2 years. :cool:

• Disagree x 3
  19. BrianKH

BrianKH Member

Wow! I do not understand the hate for the information CraZ8 has provided this forum on this issue. Everyone here is free to ignore or consider the information he provides. There is no need to resort to snippiness ("crackpot" and "captain obvious"). Let's not forget CraZ8 is not the only one out there who has been indicating some sort of update was coming. However, for the most part, he has provided the most specific information and has been spot on at times. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't purchase a $100K+ car every year or two. I would be heartbroken to learn of a significant update a few months after I made such a purchase. I have the luxury of being able to bide my time. I appreciate any and all information I can obtain and then weed out what I feel is worthless or marginal. I appreciate the information CraZ8 provides.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
  20. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

This thread is a roller coast of emotional highs and lows. Buy...wait...buy...wait...buy...wait.

I could have leased a car and returned it for the refresh version during this lifetime of this imminent thread...

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1