TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S range and interior update imminent?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thorbjorn, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Seattle

Seattle Member

Yeah. We know there will be changes to the S and all the other cars over time, so stopped clocks are eventually predictive of the time. Eventually there will be giant changes. Could S sales decrease so much that Tesla stops making them? It's not impossible.

2. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

#2722 CraZ8, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:28 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:25 AM
    Sorry you feel this way, again my info is only as good as the source and who would have guessed that with Elon as a CEO that time lines would change, other cars and projects would be promoted at the expense of the S and X. Tesla as a young and overextended company does not have unlimited resources. Did I move the goalposts with the raven refresh? Told you about the new suspension as well didn’t I? We just have to wait and see how accurate the info is about the interior refresh. Sorry you feel cheated some how but really I would love to trade my early 2015 P85DL tomorrow for a Raven with a new interior but that is not going to happen. So I am disappointed for sure but I love my car and will drive it for another 6 months happily. And lighten up Francis ( let’s see who pegs that movie quote)

• Like x 8
  3. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I really don’t understand shoot the messenger attitude. Don’t need the hassle. I’m a big fan of Tesla’s even though I own and restore a host of ICE cars. ( a BMW Z8, 74 BMW 3.0 CSI , 59 Isetta 600, 31 model A Ford, 40 fiat topolino) they are the past and I look toward the future so much so that I’m putting in a solar array with battery backup so I can charge my car, power my house and be pretty much off the grid. That being said maybe I will just keep the info to myself and you can pm me from time to time and the haters can go screw.

• Like x 8
  4. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Well... for one, I prefer that you keep the information coming and appreciate it. It all seems generally plausible and you've nailed a few things. Tesla is a moving target, and that's just the way it is. And for the record, other auto companies aren't any better. They blow internal deadlines all the time; they're just not under as much scrutiny.

Cheers! Keep it up.

• Like x 4
  5. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Does the delay also apply to the other updates? Battery, motors, etc? They would seem to be fairly independent of the interior.

6. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

You already got your battery/motor /suspension upgrade with the raven. Any thing beyond that regarding just those items I have no idea

7. Matias

Matias Active Member

76278910-E22A-469C-A5C3-F0F622CFF622.jpeg

8. MJP70D

MJP70D Member

Please keep the info coming @CraZ8 – we should all know by now that Tesla is moving the goalposts not anyone else. Life itself is a moving target so let’s not be too hard on the messenger. Now, for me personally, this news comes as quite a disappointment and has thrown my future plans into much doubt. My RVG expires mid-Sept and I was hoping to at least see a refreshed interior and thus be able to make an informed decision to either wait for availability or jump on a hopefully discounted (with free supercharging) Raven. Now—what to do? But, I digress—thank you @CraZ8 for your intel....please keep it coming.

• Like x 1
  9. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

I’m being told by someone inside that there are some new interior options coming soon (sounded like colors/configs). This persons perspective is similar to what’s Elon said (series of minor changes/options released over time), before he said it, although this individual did not flat out deny the refresh like Elon did, in fact felt like the opposite.

End of the day I may just order the Raven and see what happens, but likely will string it out for another 6 months. None of this would be a problem if they would just offer an upgrad epath during ownership. Sucks to sell the car back and take a massive hit, ok with a reasonable hit. When I bought my P90DL, 150k...2 weeks later p100dl comes out. To trade in at $110k and rebuy at $150k sucks. To pay a $10k turnaround fee or something...much better.

I realize this is extremely non standard and only reasonable on the upper end of the spectrum...but Tesla is extremely non standard :)

• Like x 1
  10. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

There is no point treating Tesla purchases like traditional ICE vehicles. There is no 'model year' and no 'refresh' / 'new model' that you can wait for and buy after, to ensure that you won't see any changes for the next couple of years or so.

Whenever you purchase your Tesla you can be certain that there will be something changed within 3-9 months after your purchase, just have to get used to it...

Changes will get drip-fed over time, some bigger than others, but the only certainty is there will be more of them :)

• Like x 3
  11. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I was talking about a few of the other things you mentioned... three motors, 400 mile range, revised body work on the rear.

12. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

That 3 motor business was not from me. The revised body work( active aero front and rear, reworked lights) was slated to come at the same time as the interior. My speculation here is that the new interior plus those exterior changes are taking more time to implement and get right. Add to that that the pickup will be announced later this year, the Y is coming on line, the roadster was promised next year and there is continuing work on the semi. My guess is tesla figured they bought a few months of buzz and sales with the Raven upgrade so they could afford to back up the interior a few more months.

• Like x 5
  13. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

FWIW I’ve really enjoyed your contributions and would be disappointed if you stopped sharing.

• Like x 5
  14. computerchuck

computerchuck Supporting Member

+1 here.

• Like x 4
  15. DanCar

DanCar Member

There was no battery upgrade with the Raven. That is still in the works. Battery upgrade should yield a 400 mile car, but going from current to 400 isn't a big deal.

16. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

I really appreciate the info you provide. A while back I was doubtful about your information on the configuration and placement of the new permanent magnetic motor, but you turned out to be absolutely right about that and the existence of Raven in general. I hope you continue to inform the community here.

• Like x 1
  17. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

It may be that Raven is indeed the refresh.

18. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

• Disagree x 1
  19. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

No it wasn't. The longer range came from motor, bearing, tire, and other changes. The battery was not changed.

• Like x 2
  20. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

There was a battery *revision*, to version "E" of the 100kWh battery, but it is still unknown what changes that might entail. It may only be wiring for the 200kW charging, but something changed enough to warrant a new version number.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1