Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this work? Do they just hold off on building your car? or is it build then put on hold somewhere till you are ready to pick it up?

I don't think things have changed, but they might have. At least in the past Tesla didn't build the car until close to your delivery date. It costs them money to build a car, and it isn't a popular configuration, they'll have to sell it at a discount as an inventory car if you cancel. By delaying building the car they can collect a bit of interest on your deposit for a few months and if you cancel that's money for nothing for them because you lose the deposit.

Some people have delayed delivery hoping for an update between ordering and delivery and some people get lucky.

In fact overseas deliveries are picked from the current ship that is on it´s way to Zeebrugge. So actually no car is especially built for You but You get a matching configuration that is on the ship. So in fact my order is in terms of picking it from the ship "on hold". I am curious if they will apply the LongRange Plus tag to my order, because I will definitively get a car in May that can only be LR+

More details here... Tesla releases "Long Range Plus" Model S/X with 390/351 mile range, new wheels - Electrek

Tesla has updated their Model S and X offerings with ever-higher range numbers. The cars now have a listed 390 and 351 mile range, up from the previous 373 and 328 miles. In addition, the Model S Long Range Plus now comes standard with the new 19″ tempest wheels. The Model X retains the same 20″/22″ wheel selections as before the update.

Update: It looks like the “Plus” designation is nothing particularly new after all. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said tonight that “All S/X cars made in recent months have actually been above stated EPA range. Will be unlocked soon for free via software update.”

View attachment 511356

Like the range increase.

Do NOT like the new Tempest wheels. :(

Why is that all the Model S wheel choices are either fugly, ‘meh’, or 21”? (and you don’t want 21” and the super-low-profile tires that come with, unless you actually enjoy wheel damage with every major pothole hit).

Sigh. Elon, 19” or 20” turbines, available in both silver and black. There. Done. Most ppl will dig it far more than the current MS wheel lineup.

I’ve been hoping they would deliver a more efficient 19” wheel.

To me, Tesla’s stand out more with high-efficiency techy wheels instead of trying to mimic a traditional ICE racer look.

I want a second set of rims for winter tires. Might buy these for ⅔ of the year and my current 19” for winter.

Living in the city, it’s also nice to be able to replace the covers when they get curbed.

The larger the tire the quicker they wear out too. Personally I don't like the look of low profile tires and I wish there was a 17 inch option for the Model S.

There isn't because of the size of the brakes. Modern cars are getting ever larger brakes to meet the safety standards and as a result wheel sizes have gotten bigger.

Sigh. Elon, 19” or 20” turbines, available in both silver and black. There. Done. Most ppl will dig it far more than the current MS wheel lineup.

I’d love a set of 20” Arachnids (yes, 20”) as an optional upgrade (forged, of course). Light, strong and the perfect tweener size IMO. Wrap ‘em in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber for $2500 upgrade at time of purchase = Winner! I can dream....

I’d love a set of 20” Arachnids (yes, 20”) as an optional upgrade (forged, of course). Light, strong and the perfect tweener size IMO. Wrap ‘em in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber for $2500 upgrade at time of purchase = Winner! I can dream....
We have 19" and 20" versions of the TSS Flow Forged wheels from TSportline. They look great and the ride and noise are better than the real 21" Arachnids.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
We have 19" and 20" versions of the TSS Flow Forged wheels from TSportline. They look great and the ride and noise are better than the real 21" Arachnids.
I’m sure they’re good, but FYI ‘flow forged’... isn’t. It’s more like ‘flow formed’, not truly forged.

‘Flow forged’ is basically a marketing term. They are better than your standard cast wheels, but aren’t as strong or durable at a given weight as forged (though racing forged wheels often sacrifice durability for the last word in light weight).

But forged is expensive, so pick your poison. :cool:

Last edited:

Flow Forged is a nonsense marketing term for hot-rolled cast wheels... they do not have the strength and light weight of real Forged Wheels.

I’m sure they’re good, but FYI ‘flow forged’... isn’t. It’s more like ‘flow formed’, not truly forged.

‘Flow forged’ is basically a marketing term. They are better than your standard cast wheels, but aren’t as strong or durable at a given weight as forged (though racing forged wheels often sacrifice durability for the last word in light weight).

But forged is expensive, so pick your poison. :cool:
Yeah, I know they aren't "true forged" wheels. I was just indicating that if you want something that looks like the Arachnids, the TSS Flow Forged (as they are named) look great. Fortunately our sets were created before they started putting their names on the side. We already chose. Twice. :cool:

110 kWh sounds nice, but I am really hoping for a 120+ kWh in the Plaid: Tesla is working on new ~110 kWh battery pack for more than 400 miles of range - Electrek

Without a fairly significant breakthrough in energy density (while maintaining the durability, safety, charge speed, etc.) they are up against the limits of the pack size. It sounds from the article that Tesla may have come up with a more efficient way that packs a few more cells into the same pack dimensions.

400 miles range is a big psychological achievement. About 400 miles is pretty average for an ICE. Some are down around 300 and Tesla has been well within the ICE range curve for years, but 400 miles is another achievement in taking down the dominance of ICE.

It is significant that Tesla is flirting with 400 mile range when very few in the competition have cracked 260. The competition is just beginning to catch up to where Tesla was range in 2012.

• Informative
Not sure I’d like a move to 110-120 KWh battery packs, at least on the base S.

Sure, it SOUNDS good on paper, ‘more’ always does, but, given current energy densities, that’d be another 125-250 lbs to haul around. On a car that is already very heavy (~5000 lbs).

Oh, and said bigger batt pack might result in a price increase, too. :(

Tesla’s already upped the range to 390 miles without upping the battery pack size, i.e. through ongoing small improvements in software and drivetrain.

So, I say, let them get to 400 miles that way, instead of increasing the batt pack size. Shouldn’t take long, and yes, 400 miles is an important milestone. Shuts down the range anxiety naysayers in no small way.

For the upcoming track-oriented top-of-the-line ‘Plaid’ variant (aka S Performance replacement), things are of course different, and a larger batt pack for it may be unavoidable. Though again, I have to wonder how well something that heavy will handle at the track.

Honestly, an S Performance ‘Superleggera’ (i.e. weight-reduction variant) might be more fun to drive and turn in better lap times. :cool:

Last edited:
One of the interesting details that came with the leak of the 110KWh battery pack is that it's supposedly configured in a way that delivers 450v, where as the existing 100Kwh pack is 400v. The step up should allow for 12.5% more power output at the same current limits. That could mean a step up from ~560KW in Ludicrous mode to 630KW. Combined with the expectation of better top end power (direct drive anyone?), I think Model S plaid could just barely hit <10s 1/4 mile even with the full interior.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Status
Not open for further replies.