Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New steering wheel, new battery option, and interior refresh coming 2018 as was privately told to me

Got a bit more info today. Looks like the interior refresh is on schedule for 2nd quarter 2018. The mirrors will also get a make over as well as the tail to some degree. Still no info on HUD VS drivers screen or new battery configuration. Can’t wait. Probably 7 months give or take.

So the interior refresh seems to be on it's way. But do we have more sources then just @DocZ saying there will be a battery update?

Summer of 2018 is probably the time when I'll order my new Model S, so I would love to buy the latest and greatest then.

Got a bit more info today. Looks like the interior refresh is on schedule for 2nd quarter 2018. The mirrors will also get a make over as well as the tail to some degree. Still no info on HUD VS drivers screen or new battery configuration.

Can’t wait. Probably 7 months give or take.
Right around the time the $7500 level of fed tax credit will likely go away (will go down to $3750 for six months after that, then $1875, then gone).

I guess the interior refresh/upgrade is timed to take the sting out of that, yes? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Got a bit more info today. Looks like the interior refresh is on schedule for 2nd quarter 2018. The mirrors will also get a make over as well as the tail to some degree. Still no info on HUD VS drivers screen or new battery configuration. Can’t wait. Probably 7 months give or take.

Interesting! So it looks like another reason to hand on to my 2014 for a bit.

It also makes sense wrt to the M3. They should be past the worst of it by then an can afford to devote some folks to retooling the S line.

How reliable is your source? Do you reckon people who are fence sitters to wait until next year?
The source for the IPace, is pretty strong. It's no secret JLR have invested heavily in their "TouchPro Duo" system and are looking to roll if out to all their premium stuff. (The new Range Rover just announced carries it too.)

I know many Tesla owners simply tune out to the broader competition, but it's worth looking at this (and yes please excuse the fact it's an ICE)

Range Rover Velar: it's actually a top end bachelor pad | British GQ

Things I really wish Tesla pay attention to are the WiFi hot spot, the HUD and the CarPlay integration. (I know it's silly but I actually like the colour changing mood lighting too, even if it is a bit of a gimmick). The fact it can also play movies / TV, will finally put to bed that annoying question I always get from people asking me about the Model S's touch screen, even if I'd rarely use it.

In terms of fence sitting, I'm basically in a holding pattern up until my Model S comes out of warranty in July '18 (mine has been problematic to say the least, and I dare not keep it out of warranty).

The current shortlist is the IPace (I have a deposit), but I wouldn't rule out a Model S "2.0" if it comes somewhere near close (and doesn't become silly expensive in the process). I'd also consider an eTron (but have serious doubts it will arrive on time to RHD markets). The X is ruled out completely (I just am not a fan of the styling).

I guess the real point is unlike 4 years ago, where the choice of luxury 200+ mile BEVs was basically one car, come renewal I'll be spoilt for choice (well if 3/4 is spoilt ;) )

The source for the IPace, is pretty strong. It's no secret JLR have invested heavily in their "TouchPro Duo" system and are looking to roll if out to all their premium stuff. (The new Range Rover just announced carries it too.)

I know many Tesla owners simply tune out to the broader competition, but it's worth looking at this (and yes please excuse the fact it's an ICE)

Range Rover Velar: it's actually a top end bachelor pad | British GQ

Things I really wish Tesla pay attention to are the WiFi hot spot, the HUD and the CarPlay integration. (I know it's silly but I actually like the colour changing mood lighting too, even if it is a bit of a gimmick). The fact it can also play movies / TV, will finally put to bed that annoying question I always get from people asking me about the Model S's touch screen, even if I'd rarely use it.

In terms of fence sitting, I'm basically in a holding pattern up until my Model S comes out of warranty in July '18 (mine has been problematic to say the least, and I dare not keep it out of warranty).

The current shortlist is the IPace (I have a deposit), but I wouldn't rule out a Model S "2.0" if it comes somewhere near close (and doesn't become silly expensive in the process). I'd also consider an eTron (but have serious doubts it will arrive on time to RHD markets). The X is ruled out completely (I just am not a fan of the styling).

I guess the real point is unlike 4 years ago, where the choice of luxury 200+ mile BEVs was basically one car, come renewal I'll be spoilt for choice (well if 3/4 is spoilt ;) )

On the same page here. The wife’s Evoque is getting long in the tooth and that is what we will probably get for her next year. The interior and dash are beautifully executed on the Velar. Something I’m hoping will also be the case for the 2018 refresh S for me

• Informative
Reactions: smac
To me, there sure seems like there is an imminent update 75D coming soon, at least for the S. If you look at current inventory, there are 63 Inventory 75Ds and 435 inventory 100Ds. 75Ds have to outsell 100Ds, so the only reason to build so many 100Ds is if you know they're not going to change. Also, the last 75D available is VIN 220509 vs. 100D's VIN of 224964. I don't know how their production works (i.e. just build 75s, then just build 100s, etc), but that's a 4,000 plus stretch. At least that's my 2 cents..

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
To me, there sure seems like there is an imminent update 75D coming soon, at least for the S. If you look at current inventory, there are 63 Inventory 75Ds and 435 inventory 100Ds. 75Ds have to outsell 100Ds, so the only reason to build so many 100Ds is if you know they're not going to change. Also, the last 75D available is VIN 220509 vs. 100D's VIN of 224964. I don't know how their production works (i.e. just build 75s, then just build 100s, etc), but that's a 4,000 plus stretch. At least that's my 2 cents..

They will probably make it an 85D and discontinue the 75D to distance it further from the Model 3. Leaving me with an uncorkable 75D even deeper in the shitter...

They will probably make it an 85D and discontinue the 75D to distance it further from the Model 3. Leaving me with an uncorkable 75D even deeper in the shitter...

I originally thought this too, but I doubt they will upgrade the 75D until the 100D gets bigger as well or they will be too close to each other. I’d like to see the 100 go to 125 and the 75 go to 85. I’d also expect all MS and MX to switch to the new cells early next year. I think thats how the larger capacities might be possible.

@jjh1234 Maybe they will drop pack size naming altogether like they have with the 3?

@Verdi I have some sympathy, having been just on the wrong side of the AP release.

Personally, I'd also like them to be more considered in their release announcements. These are big multi-year purchases, not gadgets bought out of discretionary income.

Us second guessing when to order based on speculation seems remarkably one sided from a customer/vendor relationship perspective. I.e. as a customer not knowing if you are being sold an "old model" at full list, or if significant changes which may be material to residuals are coming down the line. Tesla on the other hand have complete visibility of material changes coming down the line.

I appreciate it helps keep revenue up, which is fine as a shareholder, but not all of us are shareholders (Especially as Tesla becomes more mass market).

As I understand the battery packs - the 100d is currently using 18650 cells and is as fully packed as possible. There simply is no more room for more cells, and so 100 kw is as big as can be built. I think Elon made this statement solidly 6 months ago. Switching to new cells and new chemistry may give a little more power in a 100 pack - perhaps just making a 100 pack really worth the 100 name. So applying that physical/chemical reality to the 75/85 pack discussion, I can see them picking some target and making all battery packs uniform across the fleet. This will of course make the older fleet look like a 289 cubic inch car look weak when the 327 cars are huffing around. I'm driving a 60 -with 75 upgrade. Enjoying the range, but everyday I think less and less about it and just go about my business with little regard to range or battery size. Perhaps a decade from now I will turn in the old war horse and again shop for the latest stuff (auto pilot being dominant, range being less, color being down even further in the shopping list) but for now - I've bought this package and have no regrets.

@jjh1234 Maybe they will drop pack size naming altogether like they have with the 3?

@Verdi I have some sympathy, having been just on the wrong side of the AP release.

Personally, I'd also like them to be more considered in their release announcements. These are big multi-year purchases, not gadgets bought out of discretionary income.

Us second guessing when to order based on speculation seems remarkably one sided from a customer/vendor relationship perspective. I.e. as a customer not knowing if you are being sold an "old model" at full list, or if significant changes which may be material to residuals are coming down the line. Tesla on the other hand have complete visibility of material changes coming down the line.

I appreciate it helps keep revenue up, which is fine as a shareholder, but not all of us are shareholders (Especially as Tesla becomes more mass market).

Thanks. I do think Tesla makes some dodgy plays every now and then. Here they had this campaign on the interest rate at 0.25%. My salesman said "you need to hurry up and order before the end of the month to get the low interest". I ordered but when the new month came the interest rate was still as low as it was. Then I heard from others that the sales staff said the same thing for the end of next month... And so on. Until they finally raised the rate to 0.50% (which is not much and not a big deal. Std rate here has been 2.25% and that was what I feared) 3.5 months after I made my order.

I don't know. I don't think it makes me trust them very much... I'm sure the individual salesmen believe in what they say but somewhere there's an executive who plays games with us customers.

As I understand the battery packs - the 100d is currently using 18650 cells and is as fully packed as possible. There simply is no more room for more cells, and so 100 kw is as big as can be built. I think Elon made this statement solidly 6 months ago. Switching to new cells and new chemistry may give a little more power in a 100 pack - perhaps just making a 100 pack really worth the 100 name. So applying that physical/chemical reality to the 75/85 pack discussion, I can see them picking some target and making all battery packs uniform across the fleet. This will of course make the older fleet look like a 289 cubic inch car look weak when the 327 cars are huffing around. I'm driving a 60 -with 75 upgrade. Enjoying the range, but everyday I think less and less about it and just go about my business with little regard to range or battery size. Perhaps a decade from now I will turn in the old war horse and again shop for the latest stuff (auto pilot being dominant, range being less, color being down even further in the shopping list) but for now - I've bought this package and have no regrets.

I've got a 75D and got zero problems with the range. I don't think Tesla should do more than 100 kWh. It's just overkill. It's better to improve the supercharger network and also maybe try to make it charge even faster.

I've got a 75D and got zero problems with the range. I don't think Tesla should do more than 100 kWh. It's just overkill. It's better to improve the supercharger network and also maybe try to make it charge even faster.
Don't know that it's an 'either-or' thing.

Tesla's been investing in expanding the supercharger network, and also in eventually bringing out V3 superchargers that will reduce charging times quite a bit. Why would using a larger battery pack on the MS cause them to suddenly stop doing those things? Especially considering they might be able to charge more for those things, and/or battery prices keep falling.

Tesla does a lot of things at once. Heck, Elon does a ridiculous number of things at once (Tesla cars, Tesla solar, Space X, the Boring Company, etc. etc). If they couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time, the company would've imploded long ago. :eek:

Reactions: RobStark

Tesla's been investing in expanding the supercharger network, and also in eventually bringing out V3 superchargers that will reduce charging times quite a bit. Why would using a larger battery pack on the MS cause them to suddenly stop doing those things? Especially considering they might be able to charge more for those things, and/or battery prices keep falling.

Tesla does a lot of things at once. Heck, Elon does a ridiculous number of things at once (Tesla cars, Tesla solar, Space X, the Boring Company, etc. etc). If they couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time, the company would've imploded long ago. :eek:

Exactly, in fact I am inclined to believe that a larger newer chemistry pack is directly related to faster charging/v3 supercharger. They can't simply charge our packs faster. Tesla needs to release a new pack and I am hoping that is what happens at the reveal of the semi in November.

It's just that batteries will probably be in short supply for years to come. To then have quite a few kWh riding along just to be needed a few times per year is wasting them IMO.

I found this website is far more comprehensive than ev-cpo. The current car I am getting was on it and not ev-cpo, and that's where I got my numbers from:

Tesla Inventory

It seems to do a full refresh once in a while, so if you only see a few cars, give it a few minutes.

Interesting, hadn't seen that site, thanks! Will be using that one now as it seems to find a lot more cars. Have you noticed any changes in total inventory in the last few weeks/months?

I found this website is far more comprehensive than ev-cpo. The current car I am getting was on it and not ev-cpo, and that's where I got my numbers from:

Tesla Inventory

It seems to do a full refresh once in a while, so if you only see a few cars, give it a few minutes.

There doesn't seem to be any 85kWh search option for MSes, even though that's the most common battery size for used MSes currrently.

What's up with that site?

Status
Not open for further replies.