Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just BS. A model S has a better interior than a 5 series or the new E class. 7 series or S class, you probably have an argument. But not compared to the midrange sedans.

I agree with Mike. In fact I don't think it's close - the German cars are much, much better. And it's getting worse. Fewer options, no leather... Now, I still think a Model S with the 21" wheels looks better than almost any car on the road (especially the face lift cars). And the overall experience is still more exciting to me than anything BMW/ Merc has to offer. But the interior and panel fit are still way sub par.

I had planned on getting a Model S later this year. But if they don't refresh the car pretty significantly, and offer more compelling interior options, I think I will wait for a maxed out Model 3. I think that spartan but high quality 3 interior might really grow on a person. For a fraction of the cost.

That's just BS. A model S has a better interior than a 5 series or the new E class. 7 series or S class, you probably have an argument. But not compared to the midrange sedans.

I mean I don't want to tell you your wrong because design is subjective but I think in the opinion of most, the S doesn't hold a candle to even mid-range BMWs or Benz products. I don't consider myself a Benz guy at all but the interior of the E class is a work of art.

What's not subjective is material quality. Look at the center console in the S and find me $60,000 luxury car with something even approaching the cheapness of that console.

I love my S but I've always loved it despite it's interior; not because of it.

Sit in a well equipped E series, 5 series or even a Volvo S90 and then sit in the S. If you walk out of that comparison and think the S is the most luxurious, best built then you're being disingenuous.

I don't that day will ever come, with EVs it's all about the range.

Until you actually live with one for a week or so and realize that once you're over about 240-250 miles, it just doesn't matter.

maybe in your book, as far as I am concerned the model S interior is spartan compared to the MBs or BMWs

"Spartan" is my favorite feature of the MS interior. I find that MB/BMW/Audi interiors don't age well and look dated very quickly. I've also never subscribed to the idea that a busy look with lots of surfaces, angles, stitching, buttons, and different materials is "luxury". Yes, it's very impressive that the modern marvel that is German engineering can assemble something at that level of fit/finish and detail - but I don't find anything particularly "luxurious" about having lots of carefully crafted nooks and crannies to collect dust.

MS interior looks as good and modern as it did 5 years ago. To some that seems to be a drawback, but I think it speaks volumes.

The model S 100D pack is $23,000 more than the 75D, how does that make sense? You can get a 75D, the pay an extra $4500 ($27,500) and you could get a bare-bones standard range Model 3 with the fed tax credit. I didn't factor in the tax credit on the 100D, but you get the scale of the how much extra they are charging just the pack upgrade.

They base battery pack prices tend get refactored whenever they upgrade capacity, but the 100kw packs just keep getting more expensive. 85kw to 90kw +3,000, 90kw to 100kw + $10K.

It has feature S does not:

- Doorpockets
- Seatpockets
- Armrest in back seats
- Dual Phone charger
- Hooks for clothes

Console has more space
Vents, wheel and mirrors are adjusted from screen.
Alcantara or similar on doors.

With the exception of the two screens, 3 seems better to me.
S interior is 5 years. Starting to look dated.
3 is much more modern.

The Model 3 is a very nice car, but nowhere near a Model S in interior refinement.
(I spent a lot of time inside the Model 3 and also did a few test drives last night... the steering wheel is particularly lacking) :cool:

The Model 3 is a very nice car, but nowhere near a Model S in interior refinement.
(I spent a lot of time inside the Model 3 and also did a few test drives last night... the steering wheel is particularly lacking) :cool:

How so? I haven't been nor seen a model 3, but it looked like it had quite a bit of alcantara around the doors and ceiling and i'm guessing pleather all around.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I had planned on getting a Model S later this year. But if they don't refresh the car pretty significantly, and offer more compelling interior options, I think I will wait for a maxed out Model 3. I think that spartan but high quality 3 interior might really grow on a person. For a fraction of the cost.

I'm right there with you. I was on the fence about getting rid of my P85D lease for a new S75 with PUP and EAP but an equally equipped long range 3 is a full $25,000 cheaper, has a lot more range and is just a second slower to 60mph. That second isn't worth $25,000 to me and as the owner of an S, I know that unless Tesla put a straight up economy car interior in the 3, it can't be much further downmarket from the S because the S is pretty cheap/ spartan as it is.

If they start adding things I've come to expect in high end luxury cars like a nicer interior, heads up display, a branded stereo upgrade, etc then I'll be right there. I want to spend the money. The S is the better looking car. I just need Tesla to help me justify that spend. I'm confident they will too. They need to keep selling S's and X's.

I currently drive a Cadillac ELR. Despite all the shortcomings of the ELR drivetrain and pricing of the car, they hit the ball out of the park when it came to the interior. It's fit and finish, ambiance, sound system, and comfort have surpassed any BMW or Mercedes I've ever been in. I am planning to get a Model S later this year. The Tesla is definitely sleeker than my ELR on the inside and not as posh, but it is a more minimalistic luxury all around. I don't think the Tesla designers were ever going for the opulent feel that you get in many luxury cars. That being said, the interior is luxurious enough for me.

I don't mind the lack of leather, personally. With the exception of my LEAF, i have always had leather in my car. I drove a 90D a couple weeks ago with the white synthetic leather substitute and I made my mind up then that I wanted it instead of leather. There is nothing inherent about leather that says it must be the most luxurious material in a car. If something synthetic comes along and outperforms leather then that synthetic material can become the new definition of luxury.

I disagree.

First of all I don't think Tesla has anything that can match the E-Class designo Interior. Not to mention overall a lot more design options to select from.

2048_9889898.jpg

And when you look at features and available options it really does not get any better...

• Multibeam Adaptive Headlights with 84 LEDs
  • Open the trunk with your foot (station wagon, maybe that was the 5 Series)
  • Electronically folding rear seats (station wagon)
  • Automatic cargo cover (station wagon)
  • Softclose Doors
  • multi color LED ambient lighting
  • Sunvisors for the rear window, the doors as well as the roof
  • Double sunvisors
  • Cooled & Massage Seats
  • Heated front armrests and upper door panels
  • Burmester Sound System
  • Touchpads on the steering wheel
  • 360° Camera
  • HUD
  • Android Auto and Carplay support
  • Wireless charging
  • Rear entertainment
  • Car to X Communication
  • Pre-Safe Sound & Impulse
  • Working Blind Spot Warning...
  • ...and you can connecet you phone via USB :rolleyes:

I disagree.

First of all I don't think Tesla has anything that can match the E-Class designo Interior. Not to mention overall a lot more design options to select from.

View attachment 238644

And when you look at features and available options it really does not get any better...

• Multibeam Adaptive Headlights with 84 LEDs
  • Open the trunk with your foot (station wagon, maybe that was the 5 Series)
  • Electronically folding rear seats (station wagon)
  • Automatic cargo cover (station wagon)
  • Softclose Doors
  • multi color LED ambient lighting
  • Sunvisors for the rear window, the doors as well as the roof
  • Double sunvisors
  • Cooled & Massage Seats
  • Heated front armrests and upper door panels
  • Burmester Sound System
  • Touchpads on the steering wheel
  • 360° Camera
  • HUD
  • Android Auto and Carplay support
  • Wireless charging
  • Rear entertainment
  • Car to X Communication
  • Pre-Safe Sound & Impulse
  • Working Blind Spot Warning...
  • ...and you can connecet you phone via USB :rolleyes:

No, you are right, the Designo interior is better. But its also (here) a $20k option. The standard E class interior is inferior to the Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlK and Magus
I mean I don't want to tell you your wrong because design is subjective but I think in the opinion of most, the S doesn't hold a candle to even mid-range BMWs or Benz products. I don't consider myself a Benz guy at all but the interior of the E class is a work of art.

What's not subjective is material quality. Look at the center console in the S and find me $60,000 luxury car with something even approaching the cheapness of that console.

I love my S but I've always loved it despite it's interior; not because of it.

Sit in a well equipped E series, 5 series or even a Volvo S90 and then sit in the S. If you walk out of that comparison and think the S is the most luxurious, best built then you're being disingenuous.
Sorry, mate, but I've spent a lot of time in both, and the E class just isn't that special. The materials (like the leather) on the standard car are inferior to the Model S, they share the same wood, the infotainment is much better on the S. The E class doesn't have luxury materials like Alcantara unless you buy a top of the line version, and the E class dash is just a lump of plastic, it is not lined with leather or pleather unless you opt for a Designo or AMG. The switch gear is identical, maybe the E class has better carpets.

I'm happy with the minimalist interior in my MS (although the designo interior a few posts up is absolutely gorgeous) but what bugs me is the reduction in materials and choices compared with what was there before: no alcantara on the dash, no leather, no silver 21" wheels, fewer choices of trim materials. I think part of the justification of a high priced car is the ability to personalize it a little, and I think that in particular, new buyers will perceive it as a negative if previously available features have been taken away. Tesla needs to do an interior refresh to address this.

Reactions: Magus and gowthamn
Honest question.

Where does this love for alcantara come from? I _hate_ the alcantara strip on my dash. I think it looks like a stupid afterthought. I guess it's better than standard headliner elsewhere, but what's the big deal?

And I don't think the Model S interior holds a candle to the E-class in terms of materials, fit or finish. I have a hard time believe anyone else does either, but to each their own.

Honestly I'm not sure I'm missing something in the US build, because that E-Class luxury line which gives me the nice dash seems to be free?! And MB-Tex, Mercedes "vegen" option, too? And even in Germany if I get the exclusive line, leather seats and the dinamica headliner it's like 6000€ which isn't much more compared to Tesla's 4000€ interior options.

Maybe saying E-Class vs. Model S it a bit unfair, but on the other hand you also got to spend you 5k on the Model 3 for powered seats many sub 30k cars have. To me the price I have to pay at the end of the day and the features I get for that matters, not so much how many checkboxes I have to tick to get there.

On the Model S I get plastic on the doors no matter what I select... If I understood it correctly in Kman's youtube video even the Model 3 now seems to have better materials here.

e49e2281970a49b2aa409ef36313c155.jpg

@ba2002 I'm completely with you. Not a fan of it on the dash, but people apparently like alcantarat so I'm fine considering it in a comparison. Looks nice on some seats. Also didn't Tesla now remove it on the dash, at least it was no longer listed in the premium package some time ago.?

Last edited:
Keep in mind a lot of posts here are comparing an MS 100 'D' with awd, adj. suspension, 72amp charger, 4.2 sec 0-60, 21" rims/tires, enhanced autopilot, 335 miles range, 'FREE unlimited supercharging' larger interior and trunk/frunk, panoramic/sunroof, premium sport bolstered seats, 17" integrated screen, dash console etc etc with an M3LR 'rwd' single motor not the dual.

Price of new 'RWD' M3LR with premium pack, paint, 19" wheels, enhanced autopilot, no sunroof, no adj. suspension, pocket doors, coat hooks, 25 miles less range, EXTRA $ for supercharging, smaller storage, +1 sec acceleration, 15" screen...$56,500. I would like to assume the AWD version may be around approx 8-10k more eventually to justify additional range and better acceleration handling. So perhaps around $65k once that comes out. Probably even another 10-15k on top of that to get a 'P' version with ludicrous. (Think 328i to an M3 in terms of price difference.)

Let's ensure we are comparing Apples to apples here folks :)

I'm sure the M3 will be a phenomenal addition to the Tesla line up much as a 3 series is to a 5 or C class to E :) there will always be those who can outfit their top end 3 series better than a low to mid range 5 at less price. Different drive, different interior, different class altogether but still amazing and a pleasure to drive.

I have an M3 on order and own an MS90D so just wanted to ensure everyone is comparing correctly!

Last edited:
I agree one of the reasons we got so few details of Model 3 is the fact that Tesla is being intentionally vague to protect Model S/X sales that they need for the time being - while showing just enough Model 3 progress they need for the mission and the stock market.

Obviously Model 3 is better than Model S/X in some regards, some technologies and details as well as sports a more modern interior (though of course has also the known weaknesses), but Tesla does not want to shine a light on that.

As for the interior refresh, there is the rumor that Model S/X might be getting a Model 3 like interior refresh with an augmented reality HUD (third or a quarter of entire windshield) replacing the instrument cluster there.

Reactions: gowthamn
Honestly I'm not sure I'm missing something in the US build, because that E-Class luxury line which gives me the nice dash seems to be free?! And MB-Tex, Mercedes "vegen" option, too? And even in Germany if I get the exclusive line, leather seats and the dinamica headliner it's like 6000€ which isn't much more compared to Tesla's 4000€ interior options.

Maybe saying E-Class vs. Model S it a bit unfair, but on the other hand you also got to spend you 5k on the Model 3 for powered seats many sub 30k cars have. To me the price I have to pay at the end of the day and the features I get for that matters, not so much how many checkboxes I have to tick to get there.

On the Model S I get plastic on the doors no matter what I select... If I understood it correctly in Kman's youtube video even the Model 3 now seems to have better materials here.

e49e2281970a49b2aa409ef36313c155.jpg

@ba2002 I'm completely with you. Not a fan of it on the dash, but people apparently like alcantarat so I'm fine considering it in a comparison. Looks nice on some seats. Also didn't Tesla now remove it on the dash, at least it was no longer listed in the premium package some time ago.?
@Spidy the plastic door sill has definitely changed over the years. I rented a 2015 for a month over the winter, and it is a much harder, cheaper feeling plastic than my 2017. I've owned an E55 Benz up 'til last year - and it's true that the high end Benzes use high end materials. But the Model S interior, honestly is pretty dang good with the exception of some stick-out sore spots such as the fake-chrome silver bezels. The new premium ventilated seats in my car look very, very upmarket. Personally, I think people confuse minimalism with poor quality. There are some parts Tesla should upgrade but overall the materials used on Tesla's 2016/2017 cars are noticeably upmarket from the early cars. The alcantara headliner is great, the alcantar dash is quality. The matte obeche wood combined with the light gray next gen seats and alcantara dash still makes people's jaws drop - it looks super tight. The X takes it up a notch further with a more "rich" or "quality" feel to the door sill - hard to describe but I think it's in the right quality level for the price - the S you can argue about.

Benz/BMW have a wide range of interior quality levels depending on what you pay for. The lower end stuff is not impressive.

Reactions: Magus and b team
I agree one of the reasons we got so few details of Model 3 is the fact that Tesla is being intentionally vague to protect Model S/X sales that they need for the time being - while showing just enough Model 3 progress they need for the mission and the stock market.

YEP. Tesla is suspiciously bundling a whole lotta features into the base $69.5K S that used to be extras.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Status
Not open for further replies.