Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked my reservation this morning, and it does look like they've changed my order to Plaid+, and pricing remains at 149,490 (implying 8k FSD) as when I ordered.
View attachment 631674

Same car built now would be 151,990:
View attachment 631675

I'm scratching my head as to where the other $500 difference is from. Was Plaid only 139,490 when I first ordered? Or maybe the white interior was only a $1500 upgrade?
Edit: removed my RN in case that's meaningful...

All that money and still “pay as you go” Supercharging. At least provide a few years or miles of free Supercharging (without relying on referrals) for such a “halo” car.

As much as I like the interior changes (yoke included), the only thing I truly want more from our current Raven S is more range and a better sound system. I am more than satisfied with everything else. I don’t see older Model S losing as much resale value as initially feared and at least this refresh doesn’t give me car envy.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Update : Like the others , Tesla reached out to me by phone to update my order.

The new deal is we have a price increase but get a $2000 discount and first priority on delivery.

I opted to change my interior color to White.

Delivery was originally Feb 14 - Mar 14, and is now “late February to early March”.

While not surprising, I can’t help but wonder if Tesla has some exposure here.

Point of order: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, so the following is purely from the perspective of a layperson. As such, I welcome feedback/thoughts from the professionals...

For those who placed an order before the factory shutdown and/or who chose to delay delivery of their new Model S, I think Tesla is in the clear. Offering a $2000 credit is a goodwill gesture aimed at keeping everyone happy. Well done, Tesla.

In other cases, new orders were placed after 24 Dec 2020 (hereafter Factory Shutdown Date aka “FSD”—see what I did there?) potentially making things a little dicey. The would-be purchaser and Tesla entered into a contract, a “Model S Order Agreement” was created and a “non-refundable order fee” was paid (agreement consummated). Post-FSD, Tesla would have known that 1) there was no way to build the car that was being ordered and 2) the price of the actual car being ordered would be significantly higher than the contracted amount. Seems, at best, to be disingenuous.... Again, not being an attorney, I won’t throw around any fancy terms (I’ll save that for cocktail parties, if/when they ever happen again), but this seems like Tesla, at a minimum, entered into the agreement in bad faith.

Yes, Tesla is (I’m sure) willing to refund the “non-refundable order fee” and (I’ve read) is willing to offer a $2,000 credit for purchase of the new model (nice), but this misses the point being raised above. If someone really wanted to make a stink about this, could they (asking for a friend)?

So, my question to the attorneys on the forum, does Tesla have any exposure?

Is it possible that instead of FSD (Full Self Driving) costing a would-be buyer $10,000, could it be that FSD (Factory Shutdown Date) could instead cost Tesla $10,000 by having to honor order agreements made between FSD and the reveal? Kinda ironic symmetry...

Perhaps I’m way off base (my wife generally thinks so)—like I wrote, I’m no attorney, probably for the best.

Stay safe.

Hmm ... which makes me wonder if you have to preheat the battery pack like with Ludicrous+ mode?

You want to cool the battery for track days, not heat it up!

Ludicrous+ and prior variants (like my P85D) had the option to heat up the battery to lower internal resistance, but after a few hard accelerations this caused the power to be significantly reduced, negating the tiny gain in power from lower resistance.

I never took the S to the track because it wouldn’t last more than a hot lap (if it could even complete it at all) without power reduction. That, and it was nearly 5,000 lbs..

With track mode on my Model 3 Performance, I can do 4-5 laps without power reduction, as track mode actively cools the battery.

I would assume Plaid+ will have track mode, given they demoed it at Laguna Seca and are positioning as a potential track car. Not sure about the 18650-based Plaid though.

Reactions: SmartElectric
"could be so" lol.. Elon confirmed in the earnings call, so it is so.

Weight loss is probably from redesigned pack, lighter motors from the 3, and energy density improvements in the cell itself.

And by the way, it's 250 lbs loss, not 350.

Old LR+ weight = 4815 lbs
New LR weight = 4561 lbs

The dash is cut down from the previous model and the back seat has changed. The doors also look like they have less in them. That could account for 50-150 lbs of the weight saving there. The new motors are probably lighter too.

You want to cool the battery for track days, not heat it up!

Ludicrous+ and prior variants (like my P85D) had the option to heat up the battery to lower internal resistance, but after a few hard accelerations this caused the power to be significantly reduced, negating the tiny gain in power from lower resistance.

I never took the S to the track because it wouldn’t last more than a hot lap (if it could even complete it at all) without power reduction. That, and it was nearly 5,000 lbs..

With track mode on my Model 3 Performance, I can do 4-5 laps without power reduction, as track mode actively cools the battery.

I would assume Plaid+ will have track mode, given they demoed it at Laguna Seca and are positioning as a potential track car. Not sure about the 18650-based Plaid though.

Somewhere in the stuff I read there was some reference to the new S using motors and cooling systems from the Model 3. That could contribute to there being a Track Mode for the new S, though it might only be available on the Plaid+ and they aren't talking about it yet.

I am pleased with the move to the yolk-style steering wheel. In every vehicle I have ever driven, I have always struggled with tilting the wheel into a comfortable position for driving that does not also obstruct the instrument cluster. I cannot recall a vehicle I have driven when I didn't have to move my head down to see the speedometer under the top of the steering wheel. The yolk steering wheel looks to solve that problem and allow an unobstructed view of the entire 12" screen. My only disappointment comes from there being no red "fire" button on the top of the yolk that would allow one to solve the issue with those drivers who putter along in the passing lane oblivious to all around them.
Get a 3. Guaranteed the wheel won't obscure the instrument cluster.

I wanted to hear from people that have/will order
What is making you justify the extra 10k?
That’s what’s holding me back. What more do I get besides an update that’s worth it
Keep in mind that the current Model S has had several significant price reductions over the last 2 years, with two of them just recently. This new price is still less than my 75D from 2 years ago, and this new version has much more.

Reactions: irish26
What about Elon 7 seats announcement at the time of the Nürburgring ?

My current 2013 85 has 7 seats.

Tesla just changed my reservation yesterday for the refreshed LR model. I asked if I could get the 7 seat version, and I was told that it was not an option for me. They have no roadmap for 7 seats for any model S that the sales people are aware of.

FWIW , the revised invoice shows the price at $64,999 with an upgrade to LR for $15,000. Makes me wonder if a 300mile version may be available later for $64,999.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
While not surprising, I can’t help but wonder if Tesla has some exposure here.

Point of order: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, so the following is purely from the perspective of a layperson. As such, I welcome feedback/thoughts from the professionals...

For those who placed an order before the factory shutdown and/or who chose to delay delivery of their new Model S, I think Tesla is in the clear. Offering a $2000 credit is a goodwill gesture aimed at keeping everyone happy. Well done, Tesla.

If Tesla does not honor your confirmed order, you are eligible to get the $100 refunded as they are not able fulfill their end of the bargain. If Tesla does not do this at good will, you can coerce them by issuing a credit card chargeback.

If Tesla does not honor your confirmed order, you are eligible to get the $100 refunded as they are not able fulfill their end of the bargain. If Tesla does not do this at good will, you can coerce them by issuing a credit card chargeback.

They offered to refund my $100 deposit if I did not want to continue with the reservation.

Here is an example of the revised pricing.

16D247C7-55A7-4AA8-90C5-F0AC76E8A852.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
All that money and still “pay as you go” Supercharging. At least provide a few years or miles of free Supercharging (without relying on referrals) for such a “halo” car.

As much as I like the interior changes (yoke included), the only thing I truly want more from our current Raven S is more range and a better sound system. I am more than satisfied with everything else. I don’t see older Model S losing as much resale value as initially feared and at least this refresh doesn’t give me car envy.

I have unlimited supercharging on mine, but it really is a mental value more than a monetary one, and I go on a fair number of road trips. I've probably saved a few hundred bucks tops in 24k miles. It's a 150k car - I don't mind paying (1/2 the price) for "gas" on the 5k miles of road trips I go on - I would have paid to charge at home anyway. And at 520 miles I have an awful lot of flexibility in choosing when and where to charge. I am glad the pricing went back up. I think it bodes well for my resale.

Status
Not open for further replies.