Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe he is reliable. He also mentioned the sub 2 second time a week before the semi reveal but would not let on weather it was for an S or my guess for the next roadster. He won’t give me details on any new battery configurations but says prepare to be wowed by the interior upgrade. I can’t wait

Thanks for that CraZ8. Forgot to ask I'm guessing the interior update will apply to both the S and X?

My guess is the battery announcement and the interior redesign will be staggered, with the interior redesign coming first and the battery a few months later

Really really hope not. Would hate to bite on the interior redesign, only to be faked out and miss out on a range upgrade that came out just a little bit later. :mad:

Do it all at once. The Model S needs a significant boost to make it fully worth the cost premium over the Model 3 anyway.

Plus, there's premium competition coming... Porsche Mission E, Lucid Air, etc. Don't give 'em any daylight or breathing room.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I believe he is reliable. He also mentioned the sub 2 second time a week before the semi reveal but would not let on weather it was for an S or my guess for the next roadster. He won’t give me details on any new battery configurations but says prepare to be wowed by the interior upgrade. I can’t wait
Am I the only one thinking that a HUD might be in the works? That would make sense if they use the similar vent system like they have on the Model 3, getting rid of the binnacle and adding a HUD....

Plus, there's premium competition coming... Porsche Mission E, Lucid Air, etc. Don't give 'em any daylight or breathing room.
Lucid Air will not make it off the ground, that one is DOA just like FF.

Porsche Mission E a competitor? Maybe on the racetrack but 0-60 and range is way beaten by existing Model S and X!

Tesla still has no competitor in the high end sector, 5 years after lauch. Mission E is planned for 2019, so 7 years after Model S. O, almost forgot: If we talk "competition" we should also take into account what kind of Infrastructure is in place for them. I think Porsche has 2 Chargers, one in Europe and one in the US. That, well, is a tiny bit limiting.

Last edited:
Lucid Air will not make it off the ground, that one is DOA just like FF.

Lucid is allegedly in takeover talks with Ford. If that happens, they'll certainly be able to come to market, Ford has vast reserves of cash.

It'd also be a big win for Ford, who's seen as being behind in the EV/SDV race, and whose stock price is being punished for it.

Finally, Lucid really isn't a dysfunctional basket case of an EV company like Faraday Future... which makes them an attractive takeover target for someone else if Ford passes.

Porsche Mission E a competitor? Maybe on the racetrack but 0-60 and range is way beaten by existing Model S and X!

I don't think anyone's going to be too disappointed by the Mission E's targeted 311 mile range (500 km), or, especially, its 15 minute charging time to 80%.

Also, its price is allegedly going to be more in line with the base MS/MX (75D), whose 0-60 times it beats.

Tesla still has no competitor in the high end sector, 5 years after lauch. Mission E is planned for 2019, so 7 years after Model S. O, almost forgot: If we talk "competition" we should also take into account what kind of Infrastructure is in place for them. I think Porsche has 2 Chargers, one in Europe and one in the US. That, well, is a tiny bit limiting.

Give it a little time.

Ford and Europe's auto giants team up to build a long-distance electric car charging network

VW starts building its massive EV charging network under ‘Electrify America’

Now, NONE of the above should be taken to mean that I think Lucid and/or Porsche/VW will kick Tesla's ass. Far from it, and I really hate the media 'Tesla-killer' headlines that always pop up the instant anyone announces a premium EV vehicle. It's such clickbait bullcrap. :rolleyes:

BUT, complacency is what kills you in any competitive business. The EV revolution is here, and most of the big automakers (and not a few startups) recognize this and will be gunning to grab a big piece of the pie, even if they have to tear it out of Elon's mouth.

Given that, Tesla would be foolish to become complacent and ignore the threat. Today's market leader is tomorrow's potential roadkill... "Only the paranoid survive", to quote Andy Grove of Intel. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Snerruc
This topic is going off-topic ;)

I want people telling me when Model S get's it's update :)

I'll be ordering a new S beginning of summer next year and I would love:

- New interior
- Bigger battery (>100kWh)
- CCS compatible chargeport

- New interior

Check out CraZ8's posts. He seems to have a source deep inside Tesla, which is the only info that matters on this, really.

The rest of us are just making educated/common-sense guesses, and/or are stating what we personally want in a refresh.

Check out CraZ8's posts. He seems to have a source deep inside Tesla, which is the only info that matters on this, really.

The rest of us are just making educated/common-sense guesses, and/or are stating what we personally want in a refresh.

I see, I missed his posts.

Awesome! Looking forward to those updates :)

I would accept, though, that if nothing major happens in Q1/2018 regarding the interior, then we got the timeline speculation wrong. Q2/2018 would already be delayed compared to the speculation.

In the same boat waiting for the upgrade but as I and others have stated before it is definitely slated for 2nd quarter of 2018 and no hoping or praying is going to change that. If anything if there are problems with model 3 production or the gigafactory I can see this stretching out later into the 3rd quarter. But my source says it’s in the works most definitely. The only question is the exact release date.

It seems the speculation regarding the interior upgrade may have missed the timing mark a little, if this great info on @CraZ8 is correct. Anyway, good rumor/speculation that people can factor into their purchase decisions.

- New interior

New interior: Good chance
Bigger battery: Probably not much of an increase anytime soon. Not until the 3 is in full swing and resources can be redirected back to the MS fleet.
CCS Compatible: Not a chance

Reactions: henderrj
Bigger battery: Probably not much of an increase anytime soon. Not until the 3 is in full swing and resources can be redirected back to the MS fleet.

The 130 kWh rumor sound plausible after the Roadster announcement. That said, 21-70 troubles with Model 3 mean it probably is delayed...

CCS Compatible: Not a chance

Might be different at least in Europe. There is a very strong, recent rumor somewhere in these threads that Model 3 will be CCS from day 1 in Europe.

The 130 kWh rumor sound plausible after the Roadster announcement. That said, 21-70 troubles with Model 3 mean it probably is delayed...

Might be different at least in Europe. There is a very strong, recent rumor somewhere in these threads that Model 3 will be CCS from day 1 in Europe.

Oh good point, yes, I could see Europe getting a CCS connector. Us here in the states, though, no way. At least not until the new CCS standard is finalized and deployed.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
New interior: Good chance
110 or 120kWh would be nice enough. 100kWh would also be a good upgrade from the 85kWh, err, I mean 81kWh, Model S from 2013.

Oh good point, yes, I could see Europe getting a CCS connector. Us here in the states, though, no way. At least not until the new CCS standard is finalized and deployed.
Yes, we're not all from the US on this forum :)

But I'm very certain that Model 3 (and thus S/X) will get CCS. My sources inside Tesla tell me that.

• Informative
Reactions: Carl
Really really hope not. Would hate to bite on the interior redesign, only to be faked out and miss out on a range upgrade that came out just a little bit later. :mad:

Do it all at once. The Model S needs a significant boost to make it fully worth the cost premium over the Model 3 anyway.

No real competition is out there for the Model S, until at least 2019. Staggering the announcements makes sense because they’ll be 2 separate demand levers. While not beneficial for the consumer, Tesla does have a history of 2-3 big updates per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.