Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many thousands of Model S owners are waiting for the update before pulling the trigger. This is the longest I've owned a car and I love our P85D as much as the day I brought it home but I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a P100D but I know there will be some nice goodies when the update comes out. The current interior is essentially from 2012 and I would much rather have a sleek interior like the next gen. Roadster along with the practical interior touches in the Model 3 interior.

I wonder if the Model S refresh will come out in bits and pieces or most of it will come out at the same time...

I’m 95% sure it will be bits and pieces. Tesla needs their demand levers. Pulling one here and there seems to do well for them.

You should study Marketing 101 or read the Biography of Alfred P. Sloan to understand Tesla :cool:

Your last statement seems to contradict your first statement. I think there is absolutely zero chance of Tesla discontinuing the model S and X. Less than zero. They'll definitely update it. Wow, I can't even believe you wrote that! You normally seem to do better than that.
I think you guys misunderstood what I wrote... Here it is again:

There will be no S/X refresh in 2018, maybe in 2019. Why? Because there is no need for it .There is 0 competition.
Why did Tesla introduce a new Roadster? There is zero competition and even less need for it.

That was exactly my point. Roadster announcement was all about marketing, not about need. I still do wonder about whether the S/X will continue as products over the long term. The two are not in conflict.

Also test drivers confirms that interior on 3 is superior to S.
- Door pockets, consol space, fan controls, etc
It has feature S does not:

- Doorpockets
- Seatpockets
- Armrest in back seats
- Dual Phone charger
- Hooks for clothes

Console has more space

Vents, wheel and mirrors are adjusted from screen.

Alcantara or similar on doors.

With the exception of the two screens, 3 seems better to me.
S interior is 5 years. Starting to look dated.
3 is much more modern.
I have to hand it to you. You called it 5 months before I realized you're right.

I’m 95% sure it will be bits and pieces. Tesla needs their demand levers. Pulling one here and there seems to do well for them.

I guess the bits and pieces I'm waiting for are...

= Faster MCU
= New vent design
= Storage pockets
= Dual phone charging
= Hooks in the frunk for securing items

...and most importantly the newer battery cell whose capabilities I think we are yet to fully know.

Interesting how just about all these are available in the Model 3 and not the flagship Model S.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Sorry but what you'll get is

= "Premium textile!"
= "Dog overheat protection!"
= "Easter egg!"
Well, that father that forgot his baby in the car which then died in the overheated car (which triggered the overheat protection) would likely trade any feature you think is more important than exactly this overheat protection. So it might be silly for you but to others it means the world.

= Faster MCU
= New vent design
= Storage pockets
= Dual phone charging

...and most importantly the newer battery cell whose capabilities I think we are yet to fully know.

Interesting how just about all these are available in the Model 3 and not the flagship Model S.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that Tesla is aware of all of this. :) The current S is a mix of great design and pragmatic compromises made because they were operating on a shoe-string as they were developing it. and I'm certain it drives the Tesla management as batty as it drives us. I'm quite sure that if Franz could magically materialize an update to the S interior today, he would.

They're thin on resources right now. The fact that it's been so long implies to mean that the upcoming update (whenever that is) will be be substantial.

It seems like there's no new inventory cars available to buy, particularly Model S's. I checked ev-cpo.com and teslainventory.com daily for quite a while but have recently stopped because it seems like there's no new inventory cars available on these sites and others, including Tesla's where after you configured a "new build" it would suggest an inventory car that was close to what you built... I'm wondering... is that because there's a big update coming or is it because the Model 3 has all their attention? Even if it did, you would think there would be inventory cars available all the time?? thoughts?

Reactions: Brettski
It seems like there's no new inventory cars available to buy, particularly Model S's. I checked ev-cpo.com and teslainventory.com daily for quite a while but have recently stopped because it seems like there's no new inventory cars available on these sites and others, including Tesla's where after you configured a "new build" it would suggest an inventory car that was close to what you built... I'm wondering... is that because there's a big update coming or is it because the Model 3 has all their attention? Even if it did, you would think there would be inventory cars available all the time?? thoughts?
I think they are just not publishing the inventory cars anymore. If you talk to an OA you can get information on what inventory cars are available and they seem to be plentiful.

I think they are just not publishing the inventory cars anymore. If you talk to an OA you can get information on what inventory cars are available and they seem to be plentiful.
That seems strange, given that they are trying to interest Model 3 reservation holders in the S or X for more immediate delivery. Why would a car company, with such a strong web presence, not advertise their inventory online?

That seems strange, given that they are trying to interest Model 3 reservation holders in the S or X for more immediate delivery. Why would a car company, with such a strong web presence, not advertise their inventory online?
Many believe they are trying to limit US deliveries so that they can time when they hit the 200,000 threshold which starts the countdown for the reduction and gradual elimination of the federal tax credit.

Since they are still listing inventory cars in about 20 other countries, this could actually be the case.

They've played games with how many inventory cars they show for years. Maybe they are trying to hide how much inventory they have, or how quickly they are selling. Maybe they just really want to get you to contact them. Could be something more benign like them rolling out a new inventory system and just haven't updated this one. Or as @MorrisonHiker said, they are trying to slow S sales to play with the tax credit.

They've played games with how many inventory cars they show for years. Maybe they are trying to hide how much inventory they have, or how quickly they are selling. Maybe they just really want to get you to contact them. Could be something more benign like them rolling out a new inventory system and just haven't updated this one. Or as @MorrisonHiker said, they are trying to slow S sales to play with the tax credit.

Or maybe they just LOVE how people bought cars in the 1990s where you have to go to the dealership and someone had to look up what cars were available :)

Yea I thought maybe they just cut off the access to their inventory databases for 3rd party sites but that wouldn't explain them hiding it on Tesla.com... So that makes the tax credit a better explanation... or something else......... like a MS refresh!!! I highly doubt it's that, but we can dream, can't we? :)

= Faster MCU
= New vent design
= Storage pockets
= Dual phone charging

The problem is “bits and pieces” eventually becomes a duct taped mess. I’m not saying the S is there, but at a certain point, you need a clean slate. Case in point, look at the center console on a new Model S. That was an incremental update to the yacht floor. But the edge of the console does’t line up with that cubby under the screen. The angles and materials are off and don’t match. (Don’t even get me started on that cubby. When a $100,000 car needs a drawer made on Etsy so everything doesn’t fall out, that’s a problem.)

By comparison, look at the same area of the Model 3. It flows perfectly. The dock is in a better position. The aesthetics and functionality are superior in every way.

You can’t just incrementally change the vents or even add a comparable dual phone dock without more elaborate modifications. You can update the screen/MCU but do they want to keep the exact location and form factor for years or would it be a stopgap? I really hope a full interior refresh is coming sooner than later on the S... however, as others have said, the extended free supercharging makes it less likely before April. Hopefully, we saw some of the design cues on the new Roadster.

Reactions: sandpiper
I wonder how many thousands of Model S owners are waiting for the update before pulling the trigger. This is the longest I've owned a car and I love our P85D as much as the day I brought it home but I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a P100D but I know there will be some nice goodies when the update comes out. The current interior is essentially from 2012 and I would much rather have a sleek interior like the next gen. Roadster along with the practical interior touches in the Model 3 interior.

I wonder if the Model S refresh will come out in bits and pieces or most of it will come out at the same time...

I’m right there with you. My S lease is coming up and I got a 3 instead of an S. I have both cars now and going from the 3 to the P85D is depressing. Not in performance, but in terms of a clean, modern interface and cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.