Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S is bigger and better looking still. But thats about it, unfortunately...

You've forgotten a few of the benefits of the Model S.

With the uncork the 75D is a lot quicker (that was likely Tesla's primary motivation as it was an easy thing)
Free Supercharging
Improved over the years where issues have been addressed. The 3 is still in the "fixing things as they come up" phase.
Heated Steering Wheel
More comfortable suspension (if you're into that sort of thing)
Dual Screen interior so you don't have to look off to the side
Fully baked UI
Quiet Interior Fan (more than 50% of Model 3 owners polled on this site think the HVAC fan noise of the Model 3 is way too loud)
If you're not a current Tesla owner you can actually get the Model S. The ability to actually buy the car is always a strong benefit. :p

I definitely agree that the Model S needs a refresh to justify the price differential, and to fix obvious issues.

Both issues that are external customer expectations, but also internal needs. There is no question they could improve things to lower the cost to make it, and to eliminate having completely different infotainment systems.

Plus they need to add some features to the Model 3 to better line it up with pending competition from Audi. Things like the heated steering wheel.

I do expect the sales numbers of the Model S to drop significantly because the market for a large luxury sedan isn't as big as the sales were. The sales were large because people wanted a long range electric car, and there was no other option. I own a Model S, but it's not my type of car. I enjoyed the heck out of it, and I could potentially get another one if it had some awesome feature the Model 3 doesn't have. It's gotta be something more awesome than a heated steering wheel though. Sure I love the heated steering wheel, but it's not worth an extra $20K.

If nothing changes I'll most likely trade my 2015 Model S in on a AWD Model 3 either in the Summer or fall. I'll live with the weird funny center screen, and a lack of heated steering wheel.

Going forwards the Model S has to be refined for the type of owner the car segment demands. It's going to have to a significantly improved interior, and the road/wind noise has to be significantly reduced.

Reactions: MarkS22
"People familiar with its plans". Close enough.

I don't appreciate you "disagreeing" with me for trying to answer your question, which I (erroneously) assumed was real curiosity.

I asked you to show me where Tesla said that, and I disagree that what you linked to is actually an example of Tesla saying that. What does "People familiar with its plans". mean? The bartender of the girlfriend of someone that used to work on the production line?

I asked you to show me where Tesla said that, and I disagree that what you linked to is actually an example of Tesla saying that. What does "People familiar with its plans". mean? The bartender of the girlfriend of someone that used to work on the production line?

True, so if you really just wanted to show Tesla did not make an official statement to that effect, that is true of course. Tesla does not have any history in pre-announcing hardware changes, so they would not comment even if it were true.

It is sources saying so, though:
Tesla’s Model 3 and new versions of its other cars will get the new Intel processing modules, said the people, who asked not to be identified speaking about a private agreement. Nvidia and Intel declined to comment. Tesla declined to comment.

We also have @verygreen saying that Model S/X firmware shows signs of Intel MCU. Summary here.

Or are you saying you don't believe Model S/X are getting an Intel MCU?

You've forgotten a few of the benefits of the Model S.

With the uncork the 75D is a lot quicker (that was likely Tesla's primary motivation as it was an easy thing)
Free Supercharging
Improved over the years where issues have been addressed. The 3 is still in the "fixing things as they come up" phase.
Heated Steering Wheel
More comfortable suspension (if you're into that sort of thing)
Dual Screen interior so you don't have to look off to the side
Fully baked UI
Quiet Interior Fan (more than 50% of Model 3 owners polled on this site think the HVAC fan noise of the Model 3 is way too loud)
If you're not a current Tesla owner you can actually get the Model S. The ability to actually buy the car is always a strong benefit. :p

I definitely agree that the Model S needs a refresh to justify the price differential, and to fix obvious issues.

Both issues that are external customer expectations, but also internal needs. There is no question they could improve things to lower the cost to make it, and to eliminate having completely different infotainment systems.

Plus they need to add some features to the Model 3 to better line it up with pending competition from Audi. Things like the heated steering wheel.

I do expect the sales numbers of the Model S to drop significantly because the market for a large luxury sedan isn't as big as the sales were. The sales were large because people wanted a long range electric car, and there was no other option. I own a Model S, but it's not my type of car. I enjoyed the heck out of it, and I could potentially get another one if it had some awesome feature the Model 3 doesn't have. It's gotta be something more awesome than a heated steering wheel though. Sure I love the heated steering wheel, but it's not worth an extra $20K.

If nothing changes I'll most likely trade my 2015 Model S in on a AWD Model 3 either in the Summer or fall. I'll live with the weird funny center screen, and a lack of heated steering wheel.

Going forwards the Model S has to be refined for the type of owner the car segment demands. It's going to have to a significantly improved interior, and the road/wind noise has to be significantly reduced.

Agree.

And, as a fellow 85D owner who is puzzling over the keep - get 3AWD - get new S decision, I think it will be important for an upgraded S to offer range that is genuinely higher than M3's (whose reported range has been artificially lowered).

Reactions: Electricious
Where are you getting this info? On which one?

What I was referring to is Tesla asking the EPA to lower the estimated range of the Model 3. I'm not aware of that happening with any of the Model S variants.

If they also did this with the Model S obviously it would remove the under-selling suspicion.
They did it with the P100D. I'm not sure about other versions.

True, so if you really just wanted to show Tesla did not make an official statement to that effect, that is true of course. Tesla does not have any history in pre-announcing hardware changes, so they would not comment even if it were true.

It is sources saying so, though:

We also have @verygreen saying that Model S/X firmware shows signs of Intel MCU. Summary here.

Or are you saying you don't believe Model S/X are getting an Intel MCU?

If at all possible, I would expect the MCU hardware to eventually be identical between the Model 3 and S/X, or at least the same core components with an extra module to do something specific to one car or the other like a module for the gauge cluster on the Model S/X. I believe the autonomous driving hardware is the same across all cars and MCUs that are essentially the same across all cars makes the autonomous driving and navigation system software problem simpler.

• Disagree
Reactions: iKhalid
Status
Not open for further replies.