Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhh... okay. Just a little trolling around today?
why_so_serious__by_tyrite.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Aluminum is a liquid commodity. If the price of foreign aluminum goes up, local companies will raise their prices to suit. They'd be stupid not to.

Though Tesla likes to lock in multi-year contracts. They may have a price locked in for the next few years.

I don't expect the tariffs to last very long. It may end up in the courts.

In any case, I think the tariff will hurt all the other car makers more than Tesla. Tesla has a high enough profit margin they could decide to eat the extra cost, especially if it looks like the tariff will be short lived. Their profits will go down, but they will buy good will with it. Especially if all the other car makers have to raise their prices.

I am wondering.. From reading these 58 pages it seems everyone is anticipating some major overhaul of the MS. Like new computer, new interior, maybe new exterior, new batteries.. All in one major overhaul.

But Tesla has never done such a major change all in once. It has always been minor adjustments. New front facia, new autopilot hardware, alcantera headliner, new seats, new battery packs, etc, etc. It has all been done pretty quietly and one step at a time.

Why would Tesla now make some sort of "Model S v2" that is totally different from the current design? Can someone explain to me why Tesla would do such a drastic change while they have always made little changes throughout

I am wondering.. From reading these 58 pages it seems everyone is anticipating some major overhaul of the MS. Like new computer, new interior, maybe new exterior, new batteries.. All in one major overhaul.

But Tesla has never done such a major change all in once. It has always been minor adjustments. New front facia, new autopilot hardware, alcantera headliner, new seats, new battery packs, etc, etc. It has all been done pretty quietly and one step at a time.

Why would Tesla now make some sort of "Model S v2" that is totally different from the current design? Can someone explain to me why Tesla would do such a drastic change while they have always made little changes throughout

Well. Car makers normally make a new model every 8th year or so and a face lift in between. Tesla can't sell the same Model S forever, eventually it will be outdated. Of course Model S is not 8 years old yet. Is it 6 years now?

Well. Car makers normally make a new model every 8th year or so and a face lift in between. Tesla can't sell the same Model S forever, eventually it will be outdated. Of course Model S is not 8 years old yet. Is it 6 years now?

Yes but traditional car makers usually do a complete overhaul every X years. Tesla however has made changes gradually. Like the new front facia, the introduction of the various Autopilot hardware versions, upgrade to 4G, etc, etc. It has all been done silently and without a model name or type change

Traditional car makers do not make these small changes throughout, they do all the changes at once. Tesla has a history of doing small changes.

So I can imagine that perhaps they do a refresh of the interior, but I doubt that will be simultanously with eg. 2170 cells.

Yes but traditional car makers usually do a complete overhaul every X years. Tesla however has made changes gradually. Like the new front facia, the introduction of the various Autopilot hardware versions, upgrade to 4G, etc, etc. It has all been done silently and without a model name or type change

Traditional car makers do not make these small changes throughout, they do all the changes at once. Tesla has a history of doing small changes.

So I can imagine that perhaps they do a refresh of the interior, but I doubt that will be simultanously with eg. 2170 cells.

You can't just keep making small changes forever, at some point you need to redo the underlying structure. At which time it makes a lot of sense to upgrade everything else as well.

Reactions: Matias
So 1143 posts and 58 pages of discussion later...

Where is the Model S update/refresh?!

I predict that the refresh won't happen until after the Model 3 software is feature complete and mostly bug free. (Because a refreshed S/X will likely include an Intel Atom based MCU like the Model 3.)

Software currently missing:
  • Cold weather package support (rear seat heaters)
  • WiFi UI
  • CHAdeMO support. (Probably not really related to the MCU.)
  • Trip energy graph
  • Fully functional media player. :p
Anything else that is missing on the 3?

And of course once those things are complete they would need to add the items that are unique to the S&X. So I still think a refresh isn't going to happen for a while.

I predict that the refresh won't happen until after the Model 3 software is feature complete and mostly bug free. (Because a refreshed S/X will likely include an Intel Atom based MCU like the Model 3.)

Software currently missing:
  • Cold weather package support (rear seat heaters)
  • WiFi UI
  • CHAdeMO support. (Probably not really related to the MCU.)
  • Trip energy graph
  • Fully functional media player. :p
Anything else that is missing on the 3?

And of course once those things are complete they would need to add the items that are unique to the S&X. So I still think a refresh isn't going to happen for a while.

Since when has missing software hindered Tesla's product launch:D

The Model S interior and exterior look does not match the Model X and Model 3. That is why Tesla needs to do a refresh. Look at the tail lights on the Model 3 and X compared to S, look at the improved interior and storage vs. S, faster touch screens in Model 3 and other advances such as ventilation, better glass roof on 3 than S, etc. Upgrading Model S on a rolling basis has not yielded any results in terms of getting Model S to keep up with its newer siblings. In 2020 the new Roadster will be coming and that will also have a much sleeker exterior and interior look.

Reactions: MarkS22 and P85Dave
True, however Tesla did refresh the fascia in 2016? and the seats have gone thru 3 gens. SO, there maybe an imminent interior update!!! this year, 2019, or 2020.

I look forward to retrofitting the new model S/X MCU, hopefully they keep it the same size/shape as the current.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.