Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I guess its confirmed now against all odds:)

The proof:
intelmcu.jpg

And a demo video:

More information available here Tesla confirms recently updating Model S/X media computer, results in faster and smoother experience

If you got a new Tesla Model S or Model X recently, you might be experiencing a much better and smoother center display UI and now we know why. Today, Tesla confirmed that it updated the onboard media computer in the Model S and Model X. As we previously reported, Tesla developed a new dual computing platform for Autopilot and the Media Control Unit MCU on the Model 3.

For Model 3 owners who also owned Model S or Model X vehicles at some point, it was clear that it resulted in a much faster and smoother touchscreen experience on the center display than it Tesla’s two older vehicles.

Now Tesla is bringing the same experience to new Model S and Model X vehicles. Some new Model S and Model X owners have been running software to scan operating system and CPU information and found that the newer vehicles produced as of last month have been running a x86 64bit processor (picture via MaxKW in a Model S produced in February)

We reached out to Tesla and the company confirmed that they indeed recently updated the onboard computer for the center display as part of their continuous vehicle program improvements. As we have often reported in the past, Tesla doesn’t follow the industry standard of model year updates and instead, the automaker continuously introduces small improvements to its vehicles currently in production. For example, Tesla also recently introduced new vanity mirrors to the Model S’ sun visors.

But an updated MCU is one of the most significant changes in a while since the center display hasn’t seen many hardware updates (plenty of software updates though) that resulted in a better experience since the launch of the Model S in 2012.

• Informative
Reactions: Tozz and Siggy101
So the interesting question now is: Was that the "refresh" or is there coming more? It wouldn't make sense to design and build a completely new MCU that fits into the old interior, if the interior is getting changed soon. So there are only 2 options in my opinion:

1. The interior will stay as it is
2. The interior will be built around that MCU

As I am waiting for the "refresh" before ordering I am wondering what you guys think will happen?

I believe this is the much anticipated refresh. It is indeed utterly useless to design a whole new MCU if the interior is going to be refreshed very soon. Especially when, as was given as a possibility here, the MCU would be placed in landscape as in the M3.

I think this is it for now.

Reactions: bhzmark
Did they actually change screen though? Didn't they just change the MCU? The MCU box is probably not in the way of redesigning the interior.

I still think this is it not for either way, glad I custom order new and have to wait 5 months then :p. My inventory car should arrive in 2-3 weeks, ill have the old MCU but ill have 3 more months to enjoy the car.

Did they actually change screen though? Didn't they just change the MCU? The MCU box is probably not in the way of redesigning the interior.

Not really sure if the screen has been changed or just the processor. This is what keeps me in a state of waiting a little longer now, especially to see if there is anything else that's being changed. The mcu is actually a different one on the s/x and 3, isn't it? I mean the actual computer. On model 3 it could sit somewhere else and have cables running to the screen so it's not that much work to throw it into the s/x, especially when they know that the screen can be changed in future vetsions easily without redesigning anything.

If i would have known that this is the update, i would have ordered earlier and just retrofitted that MCU then.

I still think this is it not for either way, glad I custom order new and have to wait 5 months then :p. My inventory car should arrive in 2-3 weeks, ill have the old MCU but ill have 3 more months to enjoy the car.

Yes, I think the lack of a screen update actually bodes well for an interior refresh. I think we’ll see it stay portrait mode. But why wouldn’t they update the MCU and screen at the same time if this is it? While the updated MCU is welcome, the screen quality still appears better on the 3. (I haven’t seen personally but I’m told it’s identical to the existing S.)

It’s not a horrible idea to get MCUs out there and running the new UI code before changing more.

This will also significantly lessen the blow of an interior redesign. Because someone buying the car today likes how it looks already. If they have comparable MCUs but the interior adds coat hooks, new vents, or changed curves, at least the key MCU and AP functionality is there. It’s actually quite a nice way to keep the value up.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more tweaks drop in the next couple weeks.

Well you can always wait a little longer and you can never be sure when they will refresh. I rather have my things sooner :). I also find it unlikely they would make any drastic changes right now. The new software update seems to have sped up the old MCU significantly as well, something I been expecting since the old one shouldnt be slow.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Status
Not open for further replies.