Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Elon's assertion yesterday that Model S orders have been increasing prior to, and after, the Model 3 Delivery Event has pretty much put a bullet through the head of the argument that Tesla will have to improve the Model S to avoid Model 3 from cannibalizing Model S sales. Perhaps a Model S range and interior update is not so imminent, after all.

Too early for cannibalization with 12 - 18 month wait on Model 3's. By end of 2018 when they've cleared out most of the backlog, X and esp. S sales are likely to suffer without an update. I find it hard to see what about the S is so much better than 3 that it justifies 2x the price. An extra 10 inches for $3,136 per inch. Everyday I get emails promising extra inches for much less.

I'm rooting for a major update, at least to the interior!

I feel exactly as you do—I really want an S 100D. Yet, I just cannot bring myself to pay $23k more for an increase of just 25 kWh of battery when the same increase used to cost only $10k (S60 -> S85), and now only costs $9k for the same increase in the Model 3. Yet, I really want >300 miles of range. This paralyzes me from committing, and I sit waiting, hoping, that Tesla will rectify this ridiculous discrepancy.

Not entirely true.... From WK057 skie.net

60 - ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
85/P85/85D/P85D - ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable

At best that was a ~19kWh upgrade...6kWh less than 25kWh $526 per kWh. New 75 to 100 is $920kWh. It is still higher but if you need it it is worth it. I feel much more comfortable about keeping my 100D well between 10-90% on a regular basis thus (according to 100's of posts here) keeping my battery long term healthy. I would use a 75kWh 10-100% everyday.

AND you get that .2 0-60 and 15mph top speed performance. LOL LOL LOL

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Also the 3 has been launched. Doesn't mean we know everything about it.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true.

I believe it is true it is being built now... but until in the hands of the likes of @wk057 we will never really know what's inside it.

Just cabin cam? Better computing? Different cameras all together?

Essentially it seems just like a computer processor upgrade. Even if you have 2.0 it's upgradeable. it says in the link. Nothing to worry about really.

Range update seems more imminent than interior. I would expect range will be announced September or October for a 85kwh. 85 packs are being delivered internationally and the reductions in price on the 75 is positioning the 85 to price between 75 to 100.

Interior changes will probably be in Q1 but it's entirely speculation. The Model S exterior refresh came about 6 months after the X started being delivered. Tesla probably wants to release the updates before the 3 dual motors starts delivering.

Range update seems more imminent than interior. I would expect range will be announced September or October for a 85kwh. 85 packs are being delivered internationally and the reductions in price on the 75 is positioning the 85 to price between 75 to 100.

Interior changes will probably be in Q1 but it's entirely speculation. The Model S exterior refresh came about 6 months after the X started being delivered. Tesla probably wants to release the updates before the 3 dual motors starts delivering.

My guess is base price will be 75D, with option to upgrade for 5000-7500$

I am thinking that they will do the 85kWh packs in the "75" as a part of the refresh but I think that they may be more likely to do what they have done with the Model 3 and ditch the kWh reference in the model all together in favor of referencing range. They have already headed that way, you have a 85kWh (short range) and the 100kWh (long range) and then a performance model. Matches up with what will be in the Model 3 lineup quite nicely. Of course as a part of this I sure hope they refresh the interior... at least with some vanity lights and additional sound deadening.

With the new iPhone now supporting wireless charging Tesla really needs to step up their game. So far I don't think the lack of support was such a big deal since most people I know who buy expensive cars tend to have iPhones and not Android (at least in Germany), but now this will be another feature people start looking for and pretty much all competitors in this segment offers.

Presentation iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus.png

What's a long time? And unless it's iPhone does it really count?

Sitting in a Q7 is painful technology wise. It's like they tried to be the opposite of intuitive with every button.
Well, if Audi uses the Qi standard it'll work with the new iPhones--Apple finally made a good decision and went with a charging standard that has been around for years--my phone 4 years ago had Qi charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.