Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was responding about the Model S getting new tech first, specifically with notion of "test new tech in the real world."

a) I prefer the bluetooth/keycard system, but I'm sure it'll take time for all phones to work reliably.
b) I think one of the eight AP cameras is actually being used now. Many people like knowing sensors will eventually be available.
c) This vent system looks to be Tesla's future, since we've also seen it on the 2020 Roadster. Obviously, this can change but it's the direction we're going.
d) Audio is very subjective, but there are documented tests of frequency response, like this video and this one. I've personally felt the Model S (with High Fidelity) is lacking in comparison to the Model 3 and other luxury cars. But, yes, very subjective.
e) They didn't have the new MCU first and that was my key point.
f) I believe the Model S got them more recently around the time of the MCU update. The Model X did have them before the 3 was released.
g) Many things might not seem to affect the driving experience, but could improve the long term ownership experience. Not replacing fuses is a positive thing. People will work out aftermarket dashcam solutions. It's really only an issue for people who want to record in parking mode when the car is off and there are already battery packs available to bypass this.
h) Redundant wiring isn't subjective. This was observed by multiple sources including Motor Trend reporting on Munro's teardown. They note, for example, the "electric steering assist motor ... appears to feature two separate 12-volt power inputs, probably to provide the redundancy required for fully autonomous driving." Whether it's actually "needed" for autonomous driving might be a stretch, but surely redundancy is a good thing.
i) It's directly affecting the cost/weight/range. Tesla says this in a recent shareholder letter: "Cells used in Model 3 are the highest energy density cells used in any electric vehicle." There is also speculation the newer cells may allow for faster Version 3.0 Supercharging. "The 2170 cell is around 50% larger by volume than the 18650, but it can deliver almost double the current (the 18650 delivers 3,000 mA, and the 2170 has been tested at 5,750-6,000 mA)." Simply, the Model 3 couldn't get the range it does with the 18650s in the same amount of space for the same cost. What's more important than an energy supply for an EV? And again, I didn't write this list in a vacuum. It was in response to "getting new tech first."
j) I'm talking about the interior door handle on the Model 3. You don't have to pull a lever. You just push a button like the X.
k) Dual phone chargers versus single isn't really subjective, but I agree the parenthetical I added is subjective.

You can also add to your Model S list:

e] heated steering wheel
f] automatic trunk (and the larger rear cargo height afforded by the hatch)

That hatch and the associated cargo space is probably the single biggest real-world advantage now.
Are we forgetting

True hands-free "on highways that GM has blessed". If you keep your eyes straight ahead. It isn't really a useful hands-free except in specific places under specific circumstances. My Tesla is only an AP1, and I think it performs better with this latest software upgrade than the GM does. My young Friends Model 3, is way, way, better. Even on the side roads. No comparison at all really. And, that's a major, major, point. The GM will never improve with over-the-air software. My Tesla, 4 years old, is still improving.

At least it is a start. More than Tesla offers in terms of hans-free driving at this time. Hands-on systems are ridiculous. If I must have my hands on the wheels, I can steer myself anyway.

Have you ever taken an extended roadtrip? I know your country is small but i'm sure you've driven around the EU...

Everyone who uses AP on long roadtrips feels less exhausted. Obviously autosteer is taking some burden off driving despite having to put your hands on the wheel. Having to hold the wheel is different from actively doing microadjustments to stay in lane every waking second.

Everyone who uses AP on long roadtrips feels less exhausted. Obviously autosteer is taking some burden off driving despite having to put your hands on the wheel. Having to hold the wheel is different from actively doing microadjustments to stay in lane every waking second.

This is very true, but this doesn't invalidate @tescorft's point IMHO. It is true (atleast for me) that driving in a way that AP agrees with (eg. holding my hand on the wheel) is more relaxing than steering myself. However, I also find that it is even more comfortable to have my hands on my knees instead of on the wheel.

I agree with @tescroft that the hands-on system is atleast flawed. It is a bad way of measuring driver awareness. I agree with tescroft that driving hands-free would be better and is _not_ necessarily more dangerous. It all boils down to 'are you watching the road'.

Reactions: tescroft
Are we forgetting coat hangers in the model 3??? The S feels outdated compared with 3 and especially the X. Besides range being way better in the s compared to x the x is so much more value in my opinion.

Really love all 3 cars and can imagine any major refreshing they do on the S will be out of this world.
Coat hangers and grab handles are so ugly. Have a look at the Ipace roof trim... so ugly. The Model S was designed to be beautiful and stylish, not to hang your clothes in or hold your Pepsi. I prefer the original Model S with yacht floor, no storage space or console and drink holders that you could hide. Just an amazing minimal interior.

Coat hangers and grab handles are so ugly. Have a look at the Ipace roof trim... so ugly. The Model S was designed to be beautiful and stylish, not to hang your clothes in or hold your Pepsi. I prefer the original Model S with yacht floor, no storage space or console and drink holders that you could hide. Just an amazing minimal interior.

Actually the original Model S didn’t even have a yacht floor between the front seats, it was carpet.

I personally prefer the more minimalist and open interior of the pre-refresh Model S, which is even more minimalist than what the currently shipping Model S has today, but I can easily see where many other people might want more of the amenities in the Model 3 (storage, coat hooks, etc.). I’m not going to pass judgment on those alternatives though...just going to say it’s good to have choices,

Bruce.

Reactions: Olle
Actually the original Model S didn’t even have a yacht floor between the front seats, it was carpet.

I personally prefer the more minimalist and open interior of the pre-refresh Model S, which is even more minimalist than what the currently shipping Model S has today, but I can easily see where many other people might want more of the amenities in the Model 3 (storage, coat hooks, etc.). I’m not going to pass judgment on those alternatives though...just going to say it’s good to have choices,

Bruce.
Yes I just remembered the early cars were carpet with yacht floor as an option before it became standard. The yacht floor was nice when you didn't have anything to store, but I usually had stuff flying around down there which was funny. I do like the convenience of the console in my current car but I still wish the yacht floor was available as I liked dropping my knee down there in that space while I drove around, it just felt roomier and more stylish.
I would actually love to see a front bench seat with leg room for three in the front, just like the old cars from the 60s :)

Reactions: Olle

I know to many people its the future and dreaming of sitting in the back seat while your car drives you to here and there seems like a fun idea and cool its very unrealistic. I would also bet any guys with Tesla that say they drove across country with AP engaged 50+ part of the time or some may say all of the time ap1/ap2/ap2.5 whatever) are not lying but i would bet they were more stressed out worrying if it would make a wrong move or mistake and had their hands on the wheel ready to take control. I mean we have used ap2 a few times on the freeway and it did ok for a bit but lost lines and veered left and wanted to get off at exits sometimes so it wasn't really a serious drive and only lasted a few minutes each time. The amount of worry and stress from paying MORE ATTENTION to screens and messages and the road too is just not worth the stress in the long run. I mean lets be real here and I mean no dislike on Tesla as all car companies are adding these gimmicks to make driving "safer" and allow for ideal driving situations trying to take many more things in context then the driver can see/sense or know is going on.
Till then we will worry and stress from paying MORE ATTENTION what car actually doing.

I know to many people its the future and dreaming of sitting in the back seat while your car drives you to here and there seems like a fun idea and cool its very unrealistic. I would also bet any guys with Tesla that say they drove across country with AP engaged 50+ part of the time or some may say all of the time ap1/ap2/ap2.5 whatever) are not lying but i would bet they were more stressed out worrying if it would make a wrong move or mistake and had their hands on the wheel ready to take control. I mean we have used ap2 a few times on the freeway and it did ok for a bit but lost lines and veered left and wanted to get off at exits sometimes so it wasn't really a serious drive and only lasted a few minutes each time. The amount of worry and stress from paying MORE ATTENTION to screens and messages and the road too is just not worth the stress in the long run. I mean lets be real here and I mean no dislike on Tesla as all car companies are adding these gimmicks to make driving "safer" and allow for ideal driving situations trying to take many more things in context then the driver can see/sense or know is going on.
Till then we will worry and stress from paying MORE ATTENTION what car actually doing.

It's not a gimmick. I drove nonstop overnight between toronto and baton rouge on AP with no issues and arrived at my destination sleep deprived but still energetic and not at all exhausted. It is no secret that roadtrips on AP leaves people less exhausted. There are multiple youtube Tesla vloggers who have put up videos documenting their journey. The Now you Know crew even drove from Boston to San Fran and then back in their Model X and touted the ease of driving with AP.

While you are supposed to pay attention, a lot of us are guilty of not paying attention when AP is engaged and it has ended up saving our lives. I dont pay attention to the screen, i pay attention to the road. If i feel the car wants to do something different, i hold the wheel firmly with one hand. No big deal.

It is far less exhausting to hold the wheel with one hand then to hold it constantly while concentrating on the road and making micro adjustments. That's a fact. All your energy and focus is put onto the road in front of you, it is taxing and exhausting. With AP, you don't have to worry about straying out of the lanes.

It's not a gimmick. I drove nonstop overnight between toronto and baton rouge on AP with no issues and arrived at my destination sleep deprived but still energetic and not at all exhausted. It is no secret that roadtrips on AP leaves people less exhausted. There are multiple youtube Tesla vloggers who have put up videos documenting their journey. The Now you Know crew even drove from Boston to San Fran and then back in their Model X and touted the ease of driving with AP.

While you are supposed to pay attention, a lot of us are guilty of not paying attention when AP is engaged and it has ended up saving our lives. I dont pay attention to the screen, i pay attention to the road. If i feel the car wants to do something different, i hold the wheel firmly with one hand. No big deal.

It is far less exhausting to hold the wheel with one hand then to hold it constantly while concentrating on the road and making micro adjustments. That's a fact. All your energy and focus is put onto the road in front of you, it is taxing and exhausting. With AP, you don't have to worry about straying out of the lanes.

I don't know man it's just my opinion. Don't tell me that you didn't have one time when driving on AP heart dropping situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: paperjohn
I don't know man it's just my opinion. Don't tell me that you didn't have one time when driving on AP heart dropping situation.

Not taking anything away from your opinion, but I finished a 2000 mile road trip in early July and AP2.5 was amazing. Granted, you have to know the limitations and you have to keep paying attention but, at least for me, it was way less work than driving entirely manually. I did tend to disengage AP if the the situation seemed unusual (eg construction) but that was a tiny fraction of the miles. I’ve done that trip a bunch of times before and felt like this was the least draining it had ever been.

I will say, tho, that until 4 or 5 months ago AP2 wasn’t reliable enough for me to use it consistently. With the recent updates, i couldn’t go back to a car that didn’t have this feature.

Not taking anything away from your opinion, but I finished a 2000 mile road trip in early July and AP2.5 was amazing. Granted, you have to know the limitations and you have to keep paying attention but, at least for me, it was way less work than driving entirely manually. I did tend to disengage AP if the the situation seemed unusual (eg construction) but that was a tiny fraction of the miles. I’ve done that trip a bunch of times before and felt like this was the least draining it had ever been.

I will say, tho, that until 4 or 5 months ago AP2 wasn’t reliable enough for me to use it consistently. With the recent updates, i couldn’t go back to a car that didn’t have this feature.

My experience was 6 months ago with AP2

im not discrediting you, but i think your narrow view of AP is due to lack of experience. Youtube user DaErik drove 1000+ miles on AP alone and only a few miles of manual driving. No issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.