Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Valet told me "please park over there" (Marriott Las Vegas). He "did not want the responsibility". There were three parking spaces and each had an exotic car or was empty during our stay.

I do everything possible to not let a valet have my car keys. What usually works is to offer them a $10 tip if I can park my own car. They always either let me park or park right up front and let me have the key.

Reactions: NeverFollow
It has been 82 pages of discussion. Where is the interior update?
As per thread title, it's imminent. It will stay imminent until it happens, at which point all those predicting it wil feel vindicated. Remember where you are - Tesla fans use Elon time. Elon time to real time ratio varies and ranges between 10 and 10,000.

We are getting closer... but I am not buying the simplification argument :cool:
Tesla increases base price of Model S and Model X, makes several option changes to ‘simplify offering’
  • Rear-facing Child seats are gone: Tesla will instead recommend buyers with large families to get a Model X
  • 21″ Black Arachnid Wheels are not in the config anymore. They will be an aftermarket product only.
  • Panoramic Sunroof is gone. Like Model 3, only the glass roof is now available.
  • 72 amp onboard charger: now only available in single phase markets. Other markets will only have the 48 amp charger.
  • Carbon fiber spoiler has been made standard on all the Model S P100D

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I do everything possible to not let a valet have my car keys. What usually works is to offer them a $10 tip if I can park my own car. They always either let me park or park right up front and let me have the key.
Wow this tipping culture in the US is so weird. You have to pay to _not_ be provided a service? Here in Australia we typically need to pay for valet parking, otherwise park it yourself for free.

Wow this tipping culture in the US is so weird. You have to pay to _not_ be provided a service? Here in Australia we typically need to pay for valet parking, otherwise park it yourself for free.

Hey, I lived many years in Australia and PNG. My friends from childhood now living back in Australia and whom I visit every few years, have made me promise not "to start that kind of thing over here, mate."

I'm happy to keep my promise.

Reactions: cynix
Um. so can we expect the interior update next week?

It has been 82 pages of discussion. Where is the interior update?

There is good summary in here of the leaks regarding this interior update. It was said that the interior update was post poned by Tesla because of Model 3 production hell. If so it seems to have been imminent but no longer is.

As per thread title, it's imminent. It will stay imminent until it happens, at which point all those predicting it wil feel vindicated. Remember where you are - Tesla fans use Elon time. Elon time to real time ratio varies and ranges between 10 and 10,000.

Tesla was projecting three to six months for full self-driving features in 2017 so it sounds possible that they were internally overly optimistic in their interior refresh planning as well?

Truer words have never been spoken. Hard to imagine us being farther away from imminent than when OP started this thread, July 29th in the year of our lord, 2017.

Leak above claims quarter 1 2018 plan for the interior refresh from which it was post poned so imminent may have been around six months originally but no longer is. It would make sense too if Tesla felt Model 3 production had reached the ramp by end of 2017 then 2018 would have been a good time to refresh Model S?

Tesla increases base price of Model S and Model X, makes several option changes to ‘simplify offering’
  • Rear-facing Child seats are gone: Tesla will instead recommend buyers with large families to get a Model X
  • 21″ Black Arachnid Wheels are not in the config anymore. They will be an aftermarket product only.
  • Panoramic Sunroof is gone. Like Model 3, only the glass roof is now available.
  • 72 amp onboard charger: now only available in single phase markets. Other markets will only have the 48 amp charger.
  • Carbon fiber spoiler has been made standard on all the Model S P100D

I doubt they will get rid of the sunroof. It is one of the distinguishing features between the two they will likely keep.

I've lived in the US my entire life and I still find it kind of weird.

They probably corrected it, now the text in article says:
  • 72 amp on-board charger: single phase markets are now moving to 48 amp charger. 3-phase markets are un-impacted; they will continue to get the 72-amp on-board charger.

That's just BS. A model S has a better interior than a 5 series or the new E class. 7 series or S class, you probably have an argument. But not compared to the midrange sedans.

No, THAT is just BS.
A Model S has a, shall we say, "nice" interior. Yet it is lacking in both refinement as well as interior features, both of which are better even on the Model 3.

Plus, even a base 75D, base colour, base wheels, which by now is the lowest Model S option you can get, will set you back the equivalent of more than 100K USD over here. For that amount of money you get a 5 series, A6 or E class with loads of options and a true premium interior the likes of which the current Model S interior is simply no match for. It simply isn't.

@RobStark: what's there to disagree about?
The pricing I quoted is a fact, there is nothing one can disagree about factual truth (unless one is Donald Trump of course :p).
And that the Model S interior (i.e. build/material quality and refinement) is not on par with what one can expect on a 100K USD car is also beyond doubt. Especially as Tesla themselves prove with the Model 3 that they can do better - and for a much cheaper price as well.

Unless one is a fan of oversized vehicles, the Model S doesn't hold a candle to the Model 3 overall.

Maybe they will reduce and "streamline" the Model S to the point where it's not attractive compared to the other models, and will be phased out...
It sounds like it, and they started with v9 software. Removed functionality, moving towards removing instrument cluster (why else would they be forcing you to keep media player on main screen other than to stop people from using it on the instrument cluster because Model 3 doesn't have one, so phasing it out for Model S/X too).

Status
Not open for further replies.