Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like others in this thread are thinking that for the 80K (GBP, 107k USD) for a 75D in the UK, it doesn't really offer the bang for the buck you would expect. For 80K I can get a new C63 AMG with a much much nicer interior.

Really want to buy the Model S - but will wait for the battery (not dead set on this) and interior refresh (a must for the price).

You can get an S-Class in UK for less than that, £72,705, or an E63AMG for £79,130.

To be fair, the S75D starts at £64,000 not £80,000, for 80k you get PUP, EAP a nicer trim and the sun roof. A new interior would still be welcomed, though. The E-Class really looks nicer.

I have heard from a few people "on the inside" that a refreshed interior will be here in approx 6 months. This dovetails with the much talked about Volvo hire and the 3 ramping up to large scale production which may start to effect S orders
Oooooh that so doesn't work for me LOL....was hoping / anticipating some kind of an announcement in October. Hope it's not truly 6 months.

Reactions: Bebop and Nda721
Not just interior, waiting ~6 months could get you the new 2170 batteries.

I would definitely wait if I was in the market for a new Tesla today.

New batteries sounds like a good thing. But you’d miss out on 6 month’s of driving a Tesla.

This is one area where Tesla is more like a tech company than a regular car company. Despite the ongoing software updates there is an ongoing anxiety or anticipation that the next hardware update is what you need.

If today’s Tesla does what you need at a price you can afford then go for it. If waiting makes no difference then wait.

Reminds me of deciding when to buy Macs.

New batteries sounds like a good thing. But you’d miss out on 6 month’s of driving a Tesla.

This is one area where Tesla is more like a tech company than a regular car company. Despite the ongoing software updates there is an ongoing anxiety or anticipation that the next hardware update is what you need.

If today’s Tesla does what you need at a price you can afford then go for it. If waiting makes no difference then wait.

Yes, Tesla certainly has the "Teslaing" effect going on - a sort of constant Osborning due to the constant changes.

That said, with the Model 3 launch and related changes likely to roll over to Model S/X, right now is IMO an especially bad time to buy a Tesla if you want the latest and greatest. It is so likely that the long-running dashboard as well as the long-running battery cell are right about to be replaced... Who knows.

Reminds me of deciding when to buy Macs.

Macs have a very relaxed upgrade schedule compared to Teslas, though. :)

Reactions: PrGrPa
I understand what you guys are saying about if it does what you need buy it now, and I agree if I was purchasing an asset, but to me the car is a liability that will depreciate at a huge rate. Not a problem - you know that's the case when your buying a new car from any manufacturer. But when you are going to buy something just for the pure joy of it, like any liability, you want it to chime exactly with what your looking for.

Range, great. Power, excellent, Exterior - fine. The interior just doesn't quite get me to put down the 4K deposit for a Nov delivery (which the chaps told me would arrive early/mid December). Add in the rumors (not anymore?) about AP2.5 and these 80kWh batteries being delivered in 75D's and I'm thinking its worth a bit of delay (to me) to wait for the car.

Either way the car is going to be my daily driver for around for 4 years or so, hence a 6mo wait is fine.

I think its just because (again, to me) Tesla is an unknown quantity with so many changes - when I've bought Merc's, I know exactly what I'm getting and I feel relaxed enough to know that my car is the best I could buy at that time, knowing that the next refresh will be in 2-3 years.

Tesla's approach may well be better, but it does need some getting used to, especially from someone coming over from other luxury-performance brands.

Don't get me wrong - a Tesla is definitely coming, it's just when it's the right time, and an interior refresh would be enough to get that 4K down :)

Apologies for the rambling.

I think the biggest problem with buying a Tesla is the uncertainty if there is an upgrade coming. If you buy an iPhone you know when the next reveal will be and therefore can decide to wait, or to buy one now. With Tesla it isn't so much the pace of the innovation, but rather that it can happen any minute.

So if you aren't totally happy with the interior, you could wait a year with nothing happening, or buy now, just to have a new interior arriving in a couple of months. And since Tesla never updated the whole car so far, but only single battery options, or the drivetrain, or AP, or the seats, there is always a small update around the corner. But if it really is the update you waited for is almost impossible to know.

Reactions: Bebop and ishareit
Audi was on that Apple/iPhone slide because those companies offer Qi wireless charging.

I thought that was self-evident?

Audi offers Qi wireless charging in its cars, for some years now. Whether this is available in the U.S. market I do not know.

I mean, Qi charging phones have been on the market for something like half a decade already...

Speaking of modern technology, anyone know when Tesla is coming out with a USB-C cable for the S/X phone dock?

Tim Cook also drives an Audi so it makes sense

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I understand what you guys are saying about if it does what you need buy it now, and I agree if I was purchasing an asset, but to me the car is a liability that will depreciate at a huge rate. Not a problem - you know that's the case when your buying a new car from any manufacturer. But when you are going to buy something just for the pure joy of it, like any liability, you want it to chime exactly with what your looking for.

Range, great. Power, excellent, Exterior - fine. The interior just doesn't quite get me to put down the 4K deposit for a Nov delivery (which the chaps told me would arrive early/mid December). Add in the rumors (not anymore?) about AP2.5 and these 80kWh batteries being delivered in 75D's and I'm thinking its worth a bit of delay (to me) to wait for the car.

Either way the car is going to be my daily driver for around for 4 years or so, hence a 6mo wait is fine.

I think its just because (again, to me) Tesla is an unknown quantity with so many changes - when I've bought Merc's, I know exactly what I'm getting and I feel relaxed enough to know that my car is the best I could buy at that time, knowing that the next refresh will be in 2-3 years.

Tesla's approach may well be better, but it does need some getting used to, especially from someone coming over from other luxury-performance brands.

Don't get me wrong - a Tesla is definitely coming, it's just when it's the right time, and an interior refresh would be enough to get that 4K down :)

Apologies for the rambling.

Want a suggestion from one who has an S. If you are not going to put crazy amount of kilometers on it lease it. I've had mine for over a year and it has been involved in 3 accidents. A deer, and 2 inattentive drivers who have hit me. Each time its a 3 month ordeal to get it fixed. Needless to say the body shop has had the car more than myself and I wish I had leased because the value of the car must be like a used seat now.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
A 2017 Model X refresh code has been uncovered by Redditors... A few tidbits from disassembling the Tesla Android app • r/teslamotors

Well done! :cool:

upload_2017-9-26_19-12-57.png

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
How reliable is this and do you have any more details on how worthwhile this update may be?
As reliable as the info the employees I talked to have access to. Don't want to give names or positions since I don't want anyone to get in trouble. I am waiting to upgrade myself to a p100d ( or 105/110) with an upgraded interior, and tweaked autopilot. May know more in 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.