Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla is fast tracking the China factory because of the trade war. They might want Asian Panasonic battery plants to at least initially make cells for China built cars until they can get the battery line in China going. That would require shifting the battery supply for the S/X to the GF1 in Nevada. It's possible they could just add a line making 18650s for the job, but they could redesign the battery pack at the same time. Jason Hughes who was one of the first to tear apart a Tesla battery pack, said there is plenty of room to fit 2170s into the current space of the pack, so while the modules would need to be redesigned, the car would not have to be heavily modified.

I would not be surprised if they had test mule S/X with 2170s before any Model 3 mules were available. Though those may have had very ad hoc packs.

I think I worked out that the larger pack with 2170s would be somewhere around 115 KWH if the cells have the same energy density. If Tesla did upgrade the S/X to 2170s, the smaller pack would be around 100 KWH and it would probably become the better seller if it isn't already.

I am wondering if a 2170 pack with CCS charging for Europe to compete with Audis 150 kW charging will be the thing. Gives acces to both SuC and Ionity, FastNed and more. How fast can one charge without water cooled cables and plug? They need something better for SuC v3, including car update. Imagine a flagship car not able to use SuCv3 but the old tech. If anyone can find WLTP certification for S and X, we might stop this rumour, but until then...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This thread sure has been a wild ride.

I think there are three potential phases to S/X upgrades in 2019.

1) 2170 pack and Model 3-style electronics architecture with all of the benefits that implies. Faster supercharging, greater power density, lower build cost, etc.

2) New interior door panels and console. When I get an S loaner these parts stand out as the chintziest bits of the car. My 3 has much more upscale parts here.

3) New dash design. Either with the same format or with the 3-style format.

I’d bet a dollar we’ll see at least two of these before the next tax credit halving.

Nor mine. If the 3 had as much rear leg room as the S, I would have saved a lot of money...

To Olle with the measurements, Have you ever actually sat in the X, S, and 3 rear seats or even sat in an actual car? I doubt anyone who has ever sat in a S and 3 and not just looked at the measurements will say the rear seat leg room is the same. From those measurements, the 3 looks like it is the same size as the S or even slightly bigger ;)
No, I work in a troll farm to write forum posts and have not sat in an actual car ;-)

This rear legroom does not match my experience with both cars
I believe the discrepancy arises not in the raw distance measurements but the height of the seat cushion from the floor of the car as well as the angulation of the rear seat to the floor of the car. That’s where you get the knees in the chest feeling with a low and angled seat. The model 3 cabin is smaller with less absolute headroom in the back so the seat is lower and more angled I believe

No, I work in a troll farm to write forum posts and have not sat in an actual car ;-)

Sit in the back seats and get back to us afterwards. My 11 yr old and his 11/12 yr old friends who sit in the back regularly think the back seats in the 3 are too cramped even for them.

I live a 15 minute walk from a Tesla showroom so I get lots of tween input like it or not;)

Kids love Teslas btw. They are really “in” right now all due to social media. Sorta like Yeezys sneakers. Lol!

Last edited:
Tesla is fast tracking the China factory because of the trade war. They might want Asian Panasonic battery plants to at least initially make cells for China built cars until they can get the battery line in China going. That would require shifting the battery supply for the S/X to the GF1 in Nevada. It's possible they could just add a line making 18650s for the job, but they could redesign the battery pack at the same time. Jason Hughes who was one of the first to tear apart a Tesla battery pack, said there is plenty of room to fit 2170s into the current space of the pack, so while the modules would need to be redesigned, the car would not have to be heavily modified.

I would not be surprised if they had test mule S/X with 2170s before any Model 3 mules were available. Though those may have had very ad hoc packs.

I think I worked out that the larger pack with 2170s would be somewhere around 115 KWH if the cells have the same energy density. If Tesla did upgrade the S/X to 2170s, the smaller pack would be around 100 KWH and it would probably become the better seller if it isn't already.
Your post fits really well with today's revelation (just a few hours after you posted) that the 75 kwH pack is being discontinued - here's hoping that we see a new 115 kwH pack option to go along with the existing 100 kwH pack option!

Your post fits really well with today's revelation (just a few hours after you posted) that the 75 kwH pack is being discontinued - here's hoping that we see a new 115 kwH pack option to go along with the existing 100 kwH pack option!

If Tesla just makes a pack with the same modules as the current 100KWH with only 14 modules, it works out to around 85 KWH, so that is probably what Tesla will be doing if they don't drop the base pack entirely and make the 100 KWH the only option. It makes sense to get rid of the different module for the 75 pack, it's the same module as the 90 pack, only 14 of them to the pack.

You thought I was serious? Yes we has Ss as primary cars for 6 years and have been in our friends' and neighbors Model 3s many times, with and without kids. I think back seats are similar in size.
Yes, I thought you were serious. Like I said, we would not have bought the S if the back seat leg room were the same for the S and 3. We could have bought TWO P3D+ instead;)

I actually prefer driving small cars over a full size sedan but got the S because I mainly use the car for schlepping kids around. The X was just too big (for me). I walk to work. My next car will be the 2020 roadster - not a kid schlepper.

I absolutely love the 2018 P100D pretty much as is so don’t care about an interior refresh although I want the auto park to work and not park 18” - 20” from the curb when it parallel parks.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Somewhat on topic. No more 75D for the X and S

More information from Electrek... https://electrek.co/2019/01/09/tesla-discontinuing-75-kwh-battery-pack-model-s-model-x

Discontinuing the 75 kWh battery pack could be a first step toward changing the whole battery pack architecture for the Model S and Model X – most likely based on the new 2170 cells instead of the 18650 Panasonic cells that Tesla is using for those vehicles at the moment.

It could be a situation where Tesla is going to only produce the 100 kWh battery pack when upgrading the 75 kWh production line to the new battery cells. That’s one thing, but I also think that Tesla needs to come up with a new battery pack if the 75 kWh is going away. Will the 100 kWh become the base one and Tesla will come up with something even bigger?

More information from Electrek... https://electrek.co/2019/01/09/tesla-discontinuing-75-kwh-battery-pack-model-s-model-x

Discontinuing the 75 kWh battery pack could be a first step toward changing the whole battery pack architecture for the Model S and Model X – most likely based on the new 2170 cells instead of the 18650 Panasonic cells that Tesla is using for those vehicles at the moment.

It could be a situation where Tesla is going to only produce the 100 kWh battery pack when upgrading the 75 kWh production line to the new battery cells. That’s one thing, but I also think that Tesla needs to come up with a new battery pack if the 75 kWh is going away. Will the 100 kWh become the base one and Tesla will come up with something even bigger?

I'm not sure I would call Fred's conjecture information.

Status
Not open for further replies.