Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes true, but I was mostly illustrating the difference of price/range and for that premium package is not required :)

None premium will lack this:

• Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones

Would love to see the review that says this. It's simply not true.

Probably not. But its is shocking that the premium Model 3 interior appears appropriate for a $40K car. They must have insisted Musk bore tunnels to keep him out of the interior design process.

There are even rear reading lights on the bar between the front and rear skylights. Think of the horror of that extra wiring.

It has feature S does not:

- Doorpockets
- Seatpockets
- Armrest in back seats
- Dual Phone charger
- Hooks for clothes

Console has more space

Vents, wheel and mirrors are adjusted from screen.

Alcantara or similar on doors.

With the exception of the two screens, 3 seems better to me.
S interior is 5 years. Starting to look dated.
3 is much more modern.

Last edited:
I look forward to the day that range is not the first place people go as a differentiator between EVs.

Personally I couldn't care less that there's a cheaper, smaller car out there that can go as far on a charge. Much like I don't care that a big BMW can go farther on a tank of gas than a small one. Once you get over a certain point, it just doesn't matter.

That said, I do think an interior refresh will be upon us in the next 6 months, integrating some of what they've learned with the 3.

This was going to be a problem all along. Aside for all but the most fannish of fanboys, we all know the S does not have a premium interior. It's not a horrible place to spend time but go sit in a properly trimmed 5 series or a Mercedes E class and you realize right away that the S's interior has more in common with an entry level Lincoln than it does other $100,000 cars.

Up until now the rest of the car has been good enough to overcome that but as the car ages and as competition appears, now from Tesla itself, it's going to become harder to upsell people to a premium product that's not very premium.

You have to ask yourself if the difference of $53,500 between a base model 100D and a long range base Model 3 is worth it, especially considering that for the price of one no option S100D you could buy two no-option long range 3s and still have change left over for booze and hookers! :D Not only that, but if you bought two long range 3's instead you'd realize the tax break twice which means that you could buy two long range Model 3's for $17,000 less than a single base model S100D. YIKES.

It has feature S does not:

- Doorpockets
- Seatpockets
- Armrest in back seats
- Dual Phone charger
- Hooks for clothes

Console has more space

Vents, wheel and mirrors are adjusted from screen.

Alcantara or similar on doors.

With the exception of the two screens, 3 seems better to me.
S interior is 5 years. Starting to look dated.
3 is much more modern.
Hooks for clothes? Well, case closed better car :rolleyes: My 911R doesn't have hooks for clothes what a piece of crap.

This was going to be a problem all along. Aside for all but the most fannish of fanboys, we all know the S does not have a premium interior. It's not a horrible place to spend time but go sit in a properly trimmed 5 series or a Mercedes E class and you realize right away that the S's interior has more in common with an entry level Lincoln than it does other $100,000 cars.

Up until now the rest of the car has been good enough to overcome that but as the car ages and as competition appears, now from Tesla itself, it's going to become harder to upsell people to a premium product that's not very premium.

You have to ask yourself if the difference of $53,500 between a base model 100D and a long range base Model 3 is worth it, especially considering that for the price of one no option S100D you could buy two no-option long range 3s and still have change left over for booze and hookers! :D Not only that, but if you bought two long range 3's instead you'd realize the tax break twice which means that you could buy two long range Model 3's for $17,000 less than a single base model S100D. YIKES.

That's just BS. A model S has a better interior than a 5 series or the new E class. 7 series or S class, you probably have an argument. But not compared to the midrange sedans.

There is more to a car than the size of the gas tank. My F150 goes 400 miles between fillups, does that make it better than the large battery Model 3?

For electric cars range will continue to matter until they can travel 400-500 on a single charge. The S is not a pinnacle of luxury, adding a little extra space, an extra screen and retractable door handles doesn't translate to a $40k difference.

There is more to a car than the size of the gas tank. My F150 goes 400 miles between fillups, does that make it better than the large battery Model 3?
until charging stations become as ubiquitous as gas stations and as fast as fueling a gasser yes in the long road trip mode the gasser could be seen as better. in addition there is no EV that has the payload a F150 has.

Status
Not open for further replies.