Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is tons of competition, if you want an EV, the 3 is a far far better deal. If you just want a big luxury car, then there are the slew of German competitors. According to Tesla they can do FSD on AP 2.0, so there is no need for LIDAR.

Right now the biggest thing keeping the S alive is the production issues with the 3.

Not that this is the most likely scenario but Tesla is under no obligation to continue production of S and X. Like some mentioned, Tesla wants to advance electric vehicles, selling 6 figure cars is not the best way. Selling electric vehicles as cheaply as possible is the way to accomplish that. They already baited all other manufacturers to go electric, Tesla’s job is almost complete

Yes, that is very true imho. If the production of 3 proceeds quickly a lot of S/X drivers will switch to a 3 I think.
That may be true for some people but I couldn't possibly get a 3 as I will use the S as a family car. It carries double the amount of luggage.

Not that this is the most likely scenario but Tesla is under no obligation to continue production of S and X. Like some mentioned, Tesla wants to advance electric vehicles, selling 6 figure cars is not the best way. Selling electric vehicles as cheaply as possible is the way to accomplish that. They already baited all other manufacturers to go electric, Tesla’s job is almost complete

Dropping production of the S and X is the least likely scenario I have heard for a long time.

That may be true for some people but I couldn't possibly get a 3 as I will use the S as a family car. It carries double the amount of luggage.

Dropping production of the S and X is the least likely scenario I have heard for a long time.

I don’t think it’s likely either but if the goal is the most amount of EVs then focusing on cheaper options would make more sense. Then again Tesla needs the margins of the S and X to keep the lights on

Almost complete?
There are about 2 billion cars on the road today, about 2 million BEV and you say they are almost complete? Sure, other car companies are talking about building more and more electric cars but the transition won’t go faster if Tesla stop selling cars 2022. And for the Model S and X, you need great electric cars in all segments if you want to transition the hole market. Try to change all vehicles in US to EV without selling one single electric pickup, it won’t happened without huge taxes on pick up trucks wish no president would ever suggest if he want to stay.

Tesla just updated a number of images on the web page showing the interior with the new back seat etc. Not sure they would have done that effort if there was a interior overhaul coming up in the next 3-6 months? Why not wait additional few months if there are bigger changes coming? Also a lot of new press images showing Model S from the back that was published in 2018. Why take all those if the rear is getting a re-design shortly?
Apple updates its photos and web sites between update cycles. Nothing is frozen, especially when you are selling something. My question regarding the photos you posted is this: Why did it take Tesla SO LONG to update those images when the features have been shipping for many months or even years???

My prediction is that once Tesla hits its desired production numbers for Model 3, the S and X will be discontinued in favor of more Model 3 platform variants.

There will be no S/X refresh in 2018, maybe in 2019. Why? Because there is no need for it .There is 0 competition.
Why did Tesla introduce a new Roadster? There is zero competition and even less need for it.

Apple updates its photos and web sites between update cycles. Nothing is frozen, especially when you are selling something. My question regarding the photos you posted is this: Why did it take Tesla SO LONG to update those images when the features have been shipping for many months or even years???

Yes, this is exactly the reason why I questioned it. Apple seems to be good at updating images immediately when new stuff is released. Tesla on the other hand does not have a track record of updating images frequently. But now when rumors have been reporting interior and exterior updates very soon it caught me as a surprise and the timing of updating seemed odd. Why update images now (that should have been updated a year ago) if there are big changes coming very soon...

My prediction is that once Tesla hits its desired production numbers for Model 3, the S and X will be discontinued in favor of more Model 3 platform variants.

Why did Tesla introduce a new Roadster? There is zero competition and even less need for it.
You should study Marketing 101 or read the Biography of Alfred P. Sloan to understand Tesla :cool:

Your last statement seems to contradict your first statement. I think there is absolutely zero chance of Tesla discontinuing the model S and X. Less than zero. They'll definitely update it. Wow, I can't even believe you wrote that! You normally seem to do better than that.

Elon has said that new tech will be rolled out on the S/X before making it to the production cars. The S/X line will continue to be the long term reliability study for new tech so they need some kind of lowish production car. Though it's possible the Roadster is going to fill that niche.

I believe Tesla was waiting until unlimited supercharging was gone before doing the refresh. You could either have unlimited free supercharging and the old style or limited free supercharging and the new style. If they are delaying the refresh until next year, we might see unlimited free supercharging extended again.

As part of the refresh they might lower prices too so the Model S and 3 are priced a bit more realistically compared to one another. The downside of the cheaper Model S/X will be paying for supercharging. They may do something like eliminate the PUP and every car essentially comes with PUP standard. If they are trying to get new tech field tested on the premium cars, it makes sense.

Elon has always seen one of the biggest hurdles for EV adoption is the perceptions of the public. The Model S destroys a lot of perceptions people have except the price of the car, it's range is still limited over an ICE, it refuels slower, and when driven hard (on a track) it goes into thermal limiting. The last one is something 99% of people will never encounter, but the gearheads like to dis the Model S/X because of it.

The Roadster doesn't completely answer the slower refueling issue and the Model 3 is what answers the price issue, but the Roadster destroys the range issue and I suspect it will also destroy the track performance issue.

Reactions: AZ Desert Driver
Well I checked with my source after the rumor mill started up yesterday and sadly due to production problems with the 3 the revamp of the S has indeed been pushed back to late 2018 or early 2019. On the plus side along with the other interior and exterior changes discussed They will also be going to the 2170 packs and 3 type motors. The interior will sport a curved dash ( touch screen?) and a mono vent like the 3. Now if I drop the money on P100D in a year how can I afford a roadster in two? All these first world problems

What were the planned exterior changes? I never heard anything about exterior changes. Nice!

Well I checked with my source after the rumor mill started up yesterday and sadly due to production problems with the 3 the revamp of the S has indeed been pushed back to late 2018 or early 2019. On the plus side along with the other interior and exterior changes discussed They will also be going to the 2170 packs and 3 type motors. The interior will sport a curved dash ( touch screen?) and a mono vent like the 3. Now if I drop the money on P100D in a year how can I afford a roadster in two? All these first world problems

Any hints on the screen orientation (portrait vs landscape) and its size? Will it be flush with the dashboard like current S/X or will be installed like the 3? Thanks!! ;)

The tail and rear lights will get a revamp as well as the mirrors ( possible passing indicators?)
I really hope that they will add flashlight washer so that they can add better headlights on the Europeien cars, the headlights here is laughable after what I hear on forums. Isn’t good flashlight important if you want to make the safest var or isn’t Tesla’s car meant to be use then it’s dark outside?

For me, the most important improvements would be seat belt adjustment in the B Pillar, and more / better interior storage. More adjustable air vents in the dash and better air distribution in the foot well would be appreciated.

I also wish for better door handles inside and out, that work even when the power is out or the door is jammed.
  • I just learned that in the rear, you have to find manual pulls below the seats - nobody will know and find them in an emergency
  • If the exterior handles don't present, nobody can pull the door open and get you out, if you are unable to
At the same time, it would make sense to lock the rear seat rests with the power door locks, so thieves can't break into the cabin and access the trunk.

When there is indication of a break-in there should be
  • Alarm triggered by glass breaking
  • Immediate owner alert through the Tesla app, with live feed from the cameras
  • Simple steps to call 911 without exiting the live feed in the Tesla app
  • Video footage of perps uploaded to the Internet
What I hope they won't do is eliminate are the stalk for the Autopilot/Cruise control

Also cool would be a lifting mechanism for the frunk that could open when the vehicle is in park, and close by the press of a button like the hatch.

What I hope they won't do is eliminate are the stalk for the Autopilot/Cruise control

Maybe you’re saying that because you’ve seen it, but the M3 is like this. The one reviewer wasn’t really happy that virtually everything was buried on the screen when it used to be easy access. All he could do was stop and start it from the driver select control.

Status
Not open for further replies.