Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roadster screen also looks pretty good and futuristic, but the position does not seem very practical as it takes all the space for storage, cupholders or a phone charging dock. I guess you could put some behind the screen but that does not seem to be easy to access. Fine for a roadster I think, but not sure about a premium sedan.

People have been repeatedly saying "They're too busy with the Model 3" but they ignore the fact teams have been clearly working on the Roadster design. Why couldn't they have been working on the S as well?
They have probably worked on that, but it's a big difference between building one screen/dash for a prototype and having a product ready for mass production.

Reactions: Daniellane
Looks great in the picture, but combine it with glass roof and you're talking all glare from the screen! Even in the picture you can see some of it already.
I disagree. Curved glass reproduces smaller reflections as opposed to flat glass. I have had some classic cars with glass over the instruments where they have yet to adapt that design nomenclature and ones that have. What is important is the angle of the screen relative to the windshield and panoramic roof.

I disagree. Curved glass reproduces smaller reflections as opposed to flat glass. I have had some classic cars with glass over the instruments where they have yet to adapt that design nomenclature and ones that have. What is important is the angle of the screen relative to the windshield and panoramic roof.
At such a viewing angle, you'll be seeing the sky, regardless of which part of the sky you'll be seeing (left, right, ahead or behind) depending on the curvature of the glass. No dark surface to "reflect" back to the eye as background.

To me, the new roadster screen is too intrusive and impractical. As someone who has had to climb over from the passengers side, I’d rather not have to try that with that design. While it does look nice, it blocks prime storage space. I’d be surprised if that makes it into any final design, at least not one I’d consider purchasing.

Imagine being T-boned and hitting the edge of that screen...

Reactions: Spidy
The source is Tesla. That's the Roadster 2020 they revealed with the Semi.

More images: Tesla Roadster Prototype - a few pics of the interior and the exterior from the promo event. 0-60 in 1.9s, this will be the fastest production car ever made.

I believe it's reasonable to conclude any Model S refresh would take cues from this and the Model 3. The dash in particular, with the single long vent, is clearly part of their new design language. It also looks like instrument clusters may be going away. I suspect the steering wheel would be more traditional, with thumbwheels.
Is it me, or that screen is a bit smaller than the giant 17'' Model S/X? Seems more like a 15'' from the pictures. I hope the new refresh doesn't come with a downsized screen...

I really hope the revised Model S will not be as busy inside as the Touareg. This look makes me "shudder". Rather, I'd like to see a minimalist interior like in the Model 3 - but with a display or HUD in front of the driver.

And as a reminder, dear Tesla, make the shoulder belt height adjustable! PLEASE!!! I'm fighting this thing every time I drive, as I can't find a position where it doesn't cut into my neck. Ironically, the Model 3 has adjustment in the B-Pillar, but even at the lowest setting it's too high for me. Not sure what they are thinking...

They need to change a lot of stuff. I am not sure they can do it by replacing one element after another. They need to change the whole interior.

Yep. The compromises required to work around what exists would prevent them from doing a top notch job. And as people have noted, the competition will be coming soon. And so it's time for Tesla to step up the S interior.

You may be forgetting that the Model S battery pack may get a similar after-life upgrade as the Roadster. Remember that the pack (with old battery technology) drops out and a replacement pack with new technology batteries pops in and 500 miles range (for whatever you need that) is doable. My wife’s 2012 Signature P85 S gets over 300 miles still on a trip charge.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
You may be forgetting that the Model S battery pack may get a similar after-life upgrade as the Roadster. Remember that the pack (with old battery technology) drops out and a replacement pack with new technology batteries pops in and 500 miles range (for whatever you need that) is doable. My wife’s 2012 Signature P85 S gets over 300 miles still on a trip charge.

From Tesla’s recent comments on the last conference call, sounds like a new battery pack would need significant engineering restructuring. The dimensions might change, I don’t know if it will be a simple case of swapping them out. Who knows though, hopefully we get an update before the end of the year

You mean 200 miles?

They need to change a lot of stuff. I am not sure they can do it by replacing one element after another. They need to change the whole interior.

Not sure what clown would disagree.

Forget the external competition, the 3 cannibalizes the S in many ways at the moment. It gets even worse with Dual motor 3.

S needs a major retrofit with cool stuff like HUDs and camera based side mirrors or something to really push that upgrade super cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.