Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up our latest Model S this week. Some more or less subtle changes since 2017:
1. New MCU - faster, but also with some new bugs
2. Vanity mirrors
3. New lane departure warning - steering wheel feels much different than the old one "buzz" type in out 2015 and 2017 Model S.
4. Backup camera, seems more crisp but so much darker than the 2017 (which was more crisp than our 2015 but just as bright).

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Or a setup for Elon's April fools practical joke
Nah. It looks like that code first appeared near the start of the month (03/2018 - for future reference). Makes too much sense for it to be the code for MCU2.

Apparently the code MI02 was used as well for a short period. Interestingly, I can only find X VINs built with that code. Ex:
TeslaScout - 5YJXCDE22HF049690 - MODEL_X 75D NEW 2017 - 50 MILES 97750 USD
TeslaScout - 5YJXCDE20HF049168 - MODEL_X 75D NEW 2017 - 50 MILES 93750 USD
TeslaScout - 5YJXCBE47HF052865 - MODEL_X P100D NEW 2017 - 50 MILES 172250 USD
TeslaScout - 5YJXCBE40HF052836 - MODEL_X P100D NEW 2017 - 1084 MILES 151931 USD

Dunno but I have a feeling the new MCU is all the interior/exterior "refreshing" the S and X are going to get for at least a few months. Now, there are different codes for battery packs. So a larger pack could still be on the horizon. Although I personally doubt it if the rumors regarding the limited supply of 18650s are true. Who knows though. Not me.

Last edited:
Nah. It looks like that code first appeared near the start of the month (03/2018 - for future reference). Makes too much sense for it to be the code for MCU2.

Apparently the code MI02 was used as well for a short period. Interestingly, I can only find X VINs built with that code. Ex:
TeslaScout - 5YJXCDE22HF049690 - MODEL_X 75D NEW 2017 - 50 MILES 97750 USD
TeslaScout - 5YJXCDE20HF049168 - MODEL_X 75D NEW 2017 - 50 MILES 93750 USD
TeslaScout - 5YJXCBE47HF052865 - MODEL_X P100D NEW 2017 - 50 MILES 172250 USD
TeslaScout - 5YJXCBE40HF052836 - MODEL_X P100D NEW 2017 - 1084 MILES 151931 USD

Dunno but I have a feeling the new MCU is all the interior/exterior "refreshing" the S and X are going to get for at least a few months. Now, there are different codes for battery packs. So a larger pack could still be on the horizon. Although I personally doubt it if the rumors regarding the limited supply of 18650s are true. Who knows though. Not me.
I think you are right. The car we just picked up had the MI03 code (in the URL for the spec pdf) it does have a new MCU and some other minor changes listed above as compared to a 2017.

Just because the code changed before when they did the facelift doesn't mean it is linked to a major revision, I am sure they changed loads of things under the hood at the same time so it might be linked to any of those that they now upgraded. MCU could be one thing for sure.

Since the Model S and X have been put in halt to increase the Model 3 production,
it seems than they could also take advantage of this occasion for updating the Model S assembly line?

I wonder if the possibly new Model S interior would resemble any of the Aston Martin Lagonda concept design
currently presented at the 2018 Geneva Motor show:
Aston Martin’s Lagonda concept car is breathtaking
20180307_astonmartinlagonda_vladsavov32.jpg

Since the Model S and X have been put in halt to increase the Model 3 production,
it seems than they could also take advantage of this occasion for updating the Model S assembly line?

I wonder if the possibly new Model S interior would resemble any of the Aston Martin Lagonda concept design
currently presented at the 2018 Geneva Motor show:
Aston Martin’s Lagonda concept car is breathtaking
20180307_astonmartinlagonda_vladsavov32.jpg
Maybe shorten the rear seat legroom just a bit but otherwise, the new Model S of my dreams.

Not sure what clown would disagree.

Forget the external competition, the 3 cannibalizes the S in many ways at the moment. It gets even worse with Dual motor 3.

S needs a major retrofit with cool stuff like HUDs and camera based side mirrors or something to really push that upgrade super cycle.

When using cameras for rear view mirrors becomes legal, the entire car industry will switch over fairly quickly. It will be a big drag improvement. However keeping the cameras clean is going to become an issue. My backup camera gets pretty funky in the winter.

Considering when it appeared, it isn't the code for the new MCU, I suspect it's the code for the new lighted vanity MIrrors.

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
They need to change a lot of stuff. I am not sure they can do it by replacing one element after another. They need to change the whole interior.

Not sure what clown would disagree.

Forget the external competition, the 3 cannibalizes the S in many ways at the moment. It gets even worse with Dual motor 3.

S needs a major retrofit with cool stuff like HUDs and camera based side mirrors or something to really push that upgrade super cycle.

I'd be that clown.

My opinion is that they don't need to change the whole interior. I bought a model S recently because I believe it's the best car in the world. Not because I've got a red nose, big shoes and when I stop the car all the doors fall off.

I sure hope it’s some form of refresh and battery upgrade. My lease ending in July and as it stand now I am keeping it unless a refresh comes out. I would like to see they bring back the 85 or 90 battery locked, using 100 battery. Having 70 now and buy 75 make no sense. 100 is too pricey at over 100k. They need to fill that price gap between 75 and 100 model again.

I sure hope it’s some form of refresh and battery upgrade. My lease ending in July and as it stand now I am keeping it unless a refresh comes out. I would like to see they bring back the 85 or 90 battery locked, using 100 battery. Having 70 now and buy 75 make no sense. 100 is too pricey at over 100k. They need to fill that price gap between 75 and 100 model again.

Whenever the 100 pack gets upgraded, the 100 pack will become the new base pack. Will also help differentiate the S from the 3...

The question is when o_O

Doing a crosspost here: Model S refresh "MI03"

A Dutch Member found floormats in the EU shop which say for a Model X produced after September 2018. Could that hint to something coming in September?

Wonder if they transposed their numbers and meant April, 9 2018? That's this coming Monday. The line was shut down briefly this past Friday.

We're just conjecturing here, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.