Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope the final interior looks nothing like this. It would be a nice way to turn the segment over to Audi and Porsche.

I'm really puzzled by this report though because Electrek is like the PR firm of Tesla so why would they go out of their way to tell everyone that the Model S/X update is not coming until Q3 of 2019? Obviously this would mean some customers may delay their car purchase.

It's either that or they are going for, look how horrible these photos look, buy your Model S and X with the current interior while you still can? :p

I'm really puzzled by this report though because Electrek is like the PR firm of Tesla so why would they go out of their way to tell everyone that the Model S/X update is not coming until Q3 of 2019? Obviously this would mean some customers may delay their car purchase.

True, but I think many more will realize the refresh is still a long way off and buy now. Q3 ‘19 might as well be 2022 in Tesla time.

This seems like a deliberate leak to get people to buy now.

Reactions: FlatSix911
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg
I hope they’ll finally add 360 degree/Birdseye view cameras for parking. A Leaf has it but a $150k P100D does not.

Unbelievable that you can’t even get it in a car that costs $100k+ :/

I really hope they add this.....
another vote for 360 degree camera being pretty great

True, but I think many more will realize the refresh is still a long way off and buy now. Q3 ‘19 might as well be 2022 in Tesla time.

This seems like a deliberate leak to get people to buy now.

I agree. I can't imagine Electrek publishing this without knowing Tesla is "okay" with it.

Maybe this definitely means the Model S refresh is coming this fall, after many people who decide they can't wait over a year for the refresh place their orders? :p

Reactions: ucmndd
I like it a lot, and that's coming from a current gen X owner. "Garbage interior" is just your opinion. About 60% of the voters on the Electrek poll prefer it over the current interior.

And that poll is not representative of your average Tesla customer with enough resources to buy a Model S or X. The poll is representative of many Tesla "fans" who like all things Tesla. The fact that as much as 40% of that segment dislike the interior photos is striking.

There is something "off" about those photos. Did anyone notice how gigantic the brake and accelerator pedals are? It's like it was designed for a duck :D

I feel like this was all "released" to make a controversial point, give the impression the update is a long time away, and get people to place their orders now.

I really hope the final interior looks nothing like this. It would be a nice way to turn the segment over to Audi and Porsche.

It's either that or they are going for, look how horrible these photos look, buy your Model S and X with the current interior while you still can? :p

Q3 2019 could be as little as 11 months from now. Odds are this interior is coming much sooner than later.

Here’s why

1. I think it will require less wiring and hardware and cost less to produce

2. If they introduce it that late in the game, it means that they will have to recover all those sunk costs of the redesign over approximately 2 years of sales before the redesign. I think they’ll want to get a sales boost sooner than that.

HUD or current IC, preferably more programmable than current would be my choice. The single screen I feel has too many limitations and takes eyes off the road far too long, IMHO.

Guess I'll not be upgrading if that design makes it off the drawing board.

Q3 2019 could be as little as 11 months from now. Odds are this interior is coming much sooner than later.

Here’s why

1. I think it will require less wiring and hardware and cost less to produce

2. If they introduce it that late in the game, it means that they will have to recover all those sunk costs of the redesign over approximately 2 years of sales before the redesign. I think they’ll want to get a sales boost sooner than that.

That's assuming people prefer this. I can see a bunch of people shopping in this segment opting for the Mission E/Taycan if the new interior ends up as Spartan as the photos suggests. I like the minimalist look in design but there is minimalist and Spartan and there is minimalist and luxurious. The photos suggest a design that is more cold and Spartan than luxurious.

I think these photos are a joke. If this was April 1st, it would actually make sense. There's no way they could use such wide pedals for the brakes and accelerator in the mock up by anyone involved with car interface design.

Last edited:
I like it a lot, and that's coming from a current gen X owner. "Garbage interior" is just your opinion. About 60% of the voters on the Electrek poll prefer it over the current interior.

Electek and Lambert have always been a shill for Tesla. If Elon asked them to jump off a bridge, 60% on Electrek would do it.

The new interior is beyond horrible. I'm hoping this is fake news.

If this is actually what the refresh looks like, I can’t tell you how glad I am that I got my S in 2017!!

I agree. If this is the future, I’m glad I got my first (and what will be last) Model S in December. I had a reservation for a 3, but got the S because (among other things) the interior is something I couldn’t live with. The interior of the current S is lacking for the category, but if they change it, well, hello Porsche....

Status
Not open for further replies.