Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems all the side discussion has no connection to the topic on hand. :)

Anyone here has any leads on the interior of the new Model S? There was a mention of the new interior with single tablet view like the Model 3 with no other dashboard in front of the driver. Any truth to those whisperings?
I assume we'll start to hear more esp. when the incentives get halved and most likely Model 3 sales starts to slow down as will production. I think Tesla really has no choice, people will realize that pre-owned S and Xs will be better values simply because nothing has really changed and they can save some $20-50k and still be under warranty.

That's an irrelevant statement to the topic. buying CPO has no bearing that a tesla drops a hell of a lot more than 28%
No it's no, you're here complaining about depreciation with absolutely nothing to back it up, compared to a firm that specializes in data analysis that used over 1.6 BILLION data points over 3.5 years to get that percentage. Again, using personal anecdotal evidence or even random CPO sales isn't concrete. There are tons of 2-3 y.o. Model S and Xs selling around that percentage.

And it's ironic how you find it "irrelevant" when you've been all over the map comparing EVs to ICE vehicles of all different price points.

Reactions: FlatSix911
No it's no, you're here complaining about depreciation with absolutely nothing to back it up, compared to a firm that specializes in data analysis that used over 1.6 BILLION data points over 3.5 years to get that percentage. Again, using personal anecdotal evidence or even random CPO sales isn't concrete. There are tons of 2-3 y.o. Model S and Xs selling around that percentage.

And it's ironic how you find it "irrelevant" when you've been all over the map comparing EVs to ICE vehicles of all different price points.
Find me a CPO with 50K miles that's only depreciated 28%

Reactions: PhilDavid
Find me a CPO with 50K miles that's only depreciated 28%
First of all, the discussion was NEVER about "CPO" and neither of the two links previously listed mentioned CPO...only you did. Tons of people have purchased Teslas from eBay Motors, CarGurus, etc. Secondly, Tesla dropped the "certified" from their program which has made it far riskier and tedious overall (plenty of articles here with reasons why). Plus neither Tesla nor EV-CPO list what the vehicle originally sold for, from what I've seen.

LCR1 simply rejected your reality, and substituted his own.

First of all, the discussion was NEVER about "CPO" and neither of the two links previously listed mentioned CPO...only you did. Tons of people have purchased Teslas from eBay Motors, CarGurus, etc. Secondly, Tesla dropped the "certified" from their program which has made it far riskier and tedious overall (plenty of articles here with reasons why). Plus neither Tesla nor EV-CPO list what the vehicle originally sold for, from what I've seen.
Cool story but that take away the "certified" and you still have "used" teslas that drop way more than 28% after 50,000 miles. Use whatever term you want but the statement still stands.

Also, You don't need some super secret crystal ball to know what a car sold for. Tesla have no bargain room, they sell for msrp when someone orders them. So that makes it even easier you know the options you know what it cost when it was sold.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
A Corolla or Versa doesn't depreciate anywhere near as fast as a Leaf or any other tesla. And that's another problem, people continue to compare tesla and whoever else to AMG and whatnot, really? america isn't buying AMGs they're buying Civic and Corolla and F150s. Tesla is "dominating" the luxury car market, not really, they are dominating the EV market lately but they're also thrown into the luxury market. I came from an compact car and F250 to the Tesla, It wasn't a matter of AMG, A8, 7 Series or Tesla it was a corolla or long range EV, who's was selling long range EVs in 2016? No one but tesla, and still the Bolt is the only one that comes close.
Are you seriously comapring a corolla and versa to a Tesla in terms of depreciation?:eek: The higher the initial cost the more depreciation. Least optioned cars also depreciate slower (Ex. basic 75D vs loaded P100D)
Earlier you said that a 130k Tesla lost 50% value in 3 years. That price range is on the P models. You have to compare that to BMW M and AMG trim cars not a corolla.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Are you seriously comapring a corolla and versa to a Tesla in terms of depreciation?:eek: The higher the initial cost the more depreciation. Least optioned cars also depreciate slower (Ex. basic 75D vs loaded P100D)
Earlier you said that a 130k Tesla lost 50% value in 3 years. That price range is on the P models. You have to compare that to BMW M and AMG trim cars not a corolla.

Read that again.
A Corolla or Versa doesn't depreciate anywhere near as fast as a Leaf or any other tesla. And that's another problem, people continue to compare tesla and whoever else to AMG and whatnot, really? america isn't buying AMGs they're buying Civic and Corolla and F150s. Tesla is "dominating" the luxury car market, not really, they are dominating the EV market lately but they're also thrown into the luxury market. I came from an compact car and F250 to the Tesla, It wasn't a matter of AMG, A8, 7 Series or Tesla it was a corolla or long range EV, who's was selling long range EVs in 2016? No one but tesla, and still the Bolt is the only one that comes close.

Go back and read all the posts and you'll see people were mentioning all luzury vehicles depreciate like that, so I compared a non luxury EV to a non luxury ICE and the depreciation was still there.

Cool story but that take away the "certified" and you still have "used" teslas that drop way more than 28% after 50,000 miles. Use whatever term you want but the statement still stands.

I can't believe you all are still debating this. The notion that a 3 year old Tesla depreciates only 28% is just nonsense.

Anyone suggesting this 28% has apparently not looked at any used Tesla listings or sold price listings on eBay. :rolleyes:

The Model S depreciates just like any other premium car in this price segment. Albeit perhaps slightly better than most. There's nothing else to debate here.

Also the higher end specs depreciate the most. That $160K P100D depreciates about 28% in just the first 12-18 months.

I can't believe you all are still debating this. The notion that a 3 year old Tesla depreciates only 28% is just nonsense.

Anyone suggesting this 28% has apparently not looked at any used Tesla listings or sold price listings on eBay. :rolleyes:

The Model S depreciates just like any other premium car in this price segment. Albeit perhaps slightly better than most. There's nothing else to debate here.

Also the higher end specs depreciate the most. That $160K P100D depreciates about 28% in just the first 12-18 months.
You're right, it is nonsense to think it would only depreciate only 28% they depreciate a hell of a lot more than than. How do I know? It's easy enough to look up how much a "used" tesla sells for on Teslas website, and they're a hell of a lot more depreciated than 28% Again, find me a Tesla with 50,000 miles that's going to sell for only 28% from original price.

You're right, it is nonsense to think it would only depreciate only 28% they depreciate a hell of a lot more than than. How do I know? It's easy enough to look up how much a "used" tesla sells for on Teslas website, and they're a hell of a lot more depreciated than 28% Again, find me a Tesla with 50,000 miles that's going to sell for only 28% from original price.

Stop trying to rationalize/argue your position with anyone immune to facts as anyone who knows anything about used Tesla prices know that the 3 year residuals are close to 50-55%. Some people just like to argue fallacies so you can debate this with the other person for 10 more posts and it would not change anything. Just let it go. We know you are right.

Wow, we must be really bored!

Since now there isn't anything else to talk about .. let me ask a real world question here.

Who here can predict what will be market value for a 2018 model year Model S 75D with auto pilot 2.5 in two years and three years. Two years from now is say end of 2020 and three years from now is say end of 2021.

Assumptions:
1. No federal tax credit left by that time.
2. More used Model S in the used car market so this ought to put a downward pressure on the prices.
3. There is an updated Model S out by that time so the current 2018 model will be the "previous" model.

How much will this 2018 model year S sell for at that time?

Since now there isn't anything else to talk about .. let me ask a real world question here.

Who here can predict what will be market value for a 2018 model year Model S 75D with auto pilot 2.5 in two years and three years. Two years from now is say end of 2020 and three years from now is say end of 2021.

Assumptions:
1. No federal tax credit left by that time.
2. More used Model S in the used car market so this ought to put a downward pressure on the prices.
3. There is an updated Model S out by that time so the current 2018 model will be the "previous" model.

How much will this 2018 model year S sell for at that time?

You can now buy a 2016 75D for the low 50s in 2020, you can probably buy a 2018 75D for about 50.

If Tesla comes up with a brand new interior with much larger battery capacities, you can add an extra 10-15% to that 2 year depreciation. Plus there will be other premium EVs available by then. A good rule of thumb is about 50-55% depreciation every 2 years for the first 3 years and the 3 years after that.

Hard to compare Tesla depreciation from sticker price to a typical ICE vehicle at sticker price.

With Tesla you should first reduce the sales price by $10,000 in California to adjust it to the real net price after tax credits.

A Tesla purchased for $80,000 and sells 3 years later for $50,000 will only have a net depreciation of $20,000

Have a friend that purchased a new 12 cyl. Mercedes AMG 65 S class. Claims he can actually hear it depreciating in his garage : >)

Status
Not open for further replies.