Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Rivian has showcased their 135/180KW batteries, and more suv’s ( lambo urus, & Ferrari purosangue )Are closing in on model x performance levels wonder if that will result in new batteries for the x & s at the same time as the new interiors...

My hopeful guess is q1 2019. Imagine new interiors and 2170 batteries with the 100kw becoming the base, and then a 110 and a p125d that gives current model s performance numbers in a model x!

That would be exciting.

I am with you on this. I purchased an early 2018 Model S from inventory to get on the bandwagon while free supercharging and $7500 tax credits were still available, and I love the car but realize and hope that they will get much better in range and interior trim. The 100D was “just enough range” to tempt me, I want to see at least 400. My Subaru Outback (traded in for Model S) would take me for 450 or so on the road, and in the southwest that can be pretty important.

... which is one of the reasons I put a deposit down on a Rivian pickup. If it comes out of the chute looking terrific, including on and off-road, I may trade in the Jeep for it. Then I will watch new Tesla models in 2021 and beyond. With the Rivian in the stable I could trade the S for a refreshed longer range Model 3.

Hard to compare Tesla depreciation from sticker price to a typical ICE vehicle at sticker price.

With Tesla you should first reduce the sales price by $10,000 in California to adjust it to the real net price after tax credits.

A Tesla purchased for $80,000 and sells 3 years later for $50,000 will only have a net depreciation of $20,000

Have a friend that purchased a new 12 cyl. Mercedes AMG 65 S class. Claims he can actually hear it depreciating in his garage : >)
That is hilarious.

Now that Rivian has showcased their 135/180KW batteries, and more suv’s ( lambo urus, & Ferrari purosangue )Are closing in on model x performance levels wonder if that will result in new batteries for the x & s at the same time as the new interiors...

My hopeful guess is q1 2019. Imagine new interiors and 2170 batteries with the 100kw becoming the base, and then a 110 and a p125d that gives current model s performance numbers in a model x!

That would be exciting.

Perhaps already answered here, but have read quotes from Tesla execs saying battery upgrade to 2170 unlikely to be soon for MS because size difference requireing redesign/retool of bettery enclosure, hints of locked-in longer term contracts, etc. Also found quoted comments about soonest real MS updates to be Q3/2019. My hunch those q3 updates will exclude battery tech, so maybe 2020/2021 more likely for real battery updates to S/X, to coincide with expected competition. I can hunt down quotes again if you wish. Again hunch this year they will focus on H3, software, and solidifying global manufacturing infrastructure for M3 and Y and semi, and just possibly pickup.

It will be fun to watch and see how wrong we can be.;)

>> Now that Rivian has showcased their 135/180KW batteries,
>> and more suv’s ( lambo urus, & Ferrari purosangue ) are closing in on model x performance levels
>> I wonder if that will result in new batteries for the x & s at the same time as the new interiors...

>> My hopeful guess is q1 2019. Imagine new interiors and 2170 batteries with the 100kw becoming the base,
>> and then a 110 and a p125d that gives current model s performance numbers in a model x!

>> That would be exciting.

Perhaps already answered here, but have read quotes from Tesla execs saying
battery upgrade to 2170 unlikely to be soon for MS because size difference requiring redesign/retool of bettery enclosure,
hints of locked-in longer term contracts, etc.

Also found quoted comments about soonest real MS updates to be Q3/2019.

My hunch those q3 updates will exclude battery tech, so maybe 2020/2021 more likely for real battery updates to S/X,
to coincide with expected competition.

I can hunt down quotes again if you wish. Again hunch this year they will focus on H3, software,
and solidifying global manufacturing infrastructure for M3 and Y and semi, and just possibly pickup.

Following the 2020 Speeder 600 miles first delivery, I imagine that there will be
an announcement of a 450/500 miles Model S/X, but not before.

Following the 2020 Speeder 600 miles first delivery, I imagine that there will be
an announcement of a 450/500 miles Model S/X, but not before.
Not happening, they build up incrementally, everyone in the auto industry does it including Tesla. There's no point in leap frogging when you can build up slowly and take advantage of the people who will constantly upgrade every 3-5 years.

They've got thousands of cars on the road with 75, 85, 90, and 100 kWh batteries. What is the benefit of, let's say, a 140 kWh one? The only reason a person might want more range is so they can skip a supercharger, and I personally think that all this push for faster travel (like not having to stop for bathroom breaks, I mean, 300 miles takes a few hours) is silly. So leave ten minutes earlier, if it's really that important.

The second row legroom is one of the areas where S is not much better than 3. I am going out on a limb betting that the refreshed S and X will get a few cm more wheelbase to accommodate a more luxurious backseat. X second and third row could def use more space too. Body could otherwise remain constant.

The second row legroom is one of the areas where S is not much better than 3. I am going out on a limb betting that the refreshed S and X will get a few cm more wheelbase to accommodate a more luxurious backseat. X second and third row could def use more space too. Body could otherwise remain constant.

Disagree. The second row legroom is much bigger on the S. My kid, the back seat passenger, nixed the 3 for exactly this reason and the difference in leg room is one of the main reasons why we ended up with a S and not a 3.

They've got thousands of cars on the road with 75, 85, 90, and 100 kWh batteries. What is the benefit of, let's say, a 140 kWh one? The only reason a person might want more range is so they can skip a supercharger, and I personally think that all this push for faster travel (like not having to stop for bathroom breaks, I mean, 300 miles takes a few hours) is silly. So leave ten minutes earlier, if it's really that important.

Disagree slightly with this. There are tons of people who commute a lot 30-60 miles each way, or who are used to “filling up” infrequently and having to do so 3x times a much is potentially deal killer for a decent amount of people.

Guarantee you this though, Tesla is definitely going to introduce somewhere between 125-150kWh soon.

Reactions: Olle
Disagree. The second row legroom is much bigger on the S. My kid, the back seat passenger, nixed the 3 for exactly this reason and the difference in leg room is one of the main reasons why we ended up with a S and not a 3.
How does Tesla's Model 3 interior space compare to Model S and X?
upload_2019-1-8_21-25-1.png

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36

Or you need the extra range because you are traveling some place rural like Montana or you are traveling somewhere in the dead of winter with frigid temps and especially when you are traveling to someplace super rural and in the dead of winter.

From what I hear we will get the interior update before the battery/range update. Hopefully we will see the interior update in the first half of 2019 and not the second half of 2019.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Perhaps already answered here, but have read quotes from Tesla execs saying battery upgrade to 2170 unlikely to be soon for MS because size difference requireing redesign/retool of bettery enclosure, hints of locked-in longer term contracts, etc. Also found quoted comments about soonest real MS updates to be Q3/2019. My hunch those q3 updates will exclude battery tech, so maybe 2020/2021 more likely for real battery updates to S/X, to coincide with expected competition. I can hunt down quotes again if you wish. Again hunch this year they will focus on H3, software, and solidifying global manufacturing infrastructure for M3 and Y and semi, and just possibly pickup.

Over on the Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD thread @daktari made the discovery that Tesla has probably not certified Model S and X for WLTP yet, which would possibly only be possible if they are "end of series". This would apparently give Tesla until September 2019 to certify Model S/X for WLTP.

September 2019 would definitely jive with the Q3/2019 rumors for a some type of Model S/X facelift. Of course that does not preclude it from happening sooner, if that makes sense for Tesla for other reasons.

This rear legroom does not match my experience with both cars

Nor mine. If the 3 had as much rear leg room as the S, I would have saved a lot of money...

To Olle with the measurements, Have you ever actually sat in the X, S, and 3 rear seats or even sat in an actual car? I doubt anyone who has ever sat in a S and 3 and not just looked at the measurements will say the rear seat leg room is the same. From those measurements, the 3 looks like it is the same size as the S or even slightly bigger ;)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Status
Not open for further replies.