Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The refresh is finally inevitable: Tesla releases V3 SuperCharger which is currently only compatible with Model 3.

That is only speculation at this point. And false at that. There is no way a S or X won't be able to charge at a V3 site, they just might not charge at as fast of a rate as a Model 3 can. (And different age/ranges of S/X may be able to charge at different rates, just like is the case with V2 Superchargers now.)

Reactions: bmah and Olle
I’m torn between thinking a refresh of some sort is coming with Model Y as “one more thing” and thinking they’ll wring out every dollar from the existing car until the tax credit is halved again in Q3 and they need to juice demand.

They’ll certainly want to get all the Q1 cars delivered and past their return period before announcing a big change.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Heard from my source today. He told my buddy to hold onto his P85D for the next several months and don’t upgrade to that P100D he was looking at this week. Wink wink nod nod say no more
The dramatic price drop of the S/X across the board sure seems interesting, almost like if you buy one today and see a "new model" (or refresh or whatever) in a month, you kinda have to shrug and say, "Well, at least I got mine for a good price."

The dramatic price drop of the S/X across the board sure seems interesting, almost like if you buy one today and see a "new model" (or refresh or whatever) in a month, you kinda have to shrug and say, "Well, at least I got mine for a good price."
I would add to your post as a recent buyer (P100D in December). If they offer a path for battery upgrades for the "old" versions that too wil create goodwill in addition to the I got it for a good price. Nothing says I can't hope for future-proofing.

• Funny
I would add to your post as a recent buyer (P100D in December). If they offer a path for battery upgrades for the "old" versions that too wil create goodwill in addition to the I got it for a good price. Nothing says I can't hope for future-proofing.

... just keep that 'hope' at a very low level...

The most likely reason to tie battery upgrades to a refresh is the need to redesign the pack dimensions so 'upgrades' are unlikely...

Yes that would be really good. They can use the old batteries for powerwalls etc, where they don't need crazy fast charging

• Funny
Yeah, at this point a refresh is imminent, and that is probably why they will update the MS/MX in a few months

Unless they've completely abandoned the MS, which is unlikely, there will be new battery packs rolling out soon that will be able to take advantage of V3.

If they do, they will basically cede the very profitable Model S market to Porsche, so hopefully they will not do that...

Last edited:
Re: the lower price being a good deal today

Are we suggesting a refreshed S will suddenly jump in price for the same battery size? It's not like the fascia or MCU2 or new seats made the price go up. The only thing I can see raising the prices now is the battery size.

I do feel like Tesla has missed a great opportunity for making the Model S more "upgradable." Having the ability to swap out sensors, batteries, MCUs, and AP hardware should be part of the marketing and design. Now, throw in bi-directional power which allows the car to send power back to the home for solar energy arbitrage or outages and you can ask for that premium price again.

Re: the lower price being a good deal today

Are we suggesting a refreshed S will suddenly jump in price for the same battery size? It's not like the fascia or MCU2 or new seats made the price go up. The only thing I can see raising the prices now is the battery size.

I do feel like Tesla has missed a great opportunity for making the Model S more "upgradable." Having the ability to swap out sensors, batteries, MCUs, and AP hardware should be part of the marketing and design. Now, throw in bi-directional power which allows the car to send power back to the home for solar energy arbitrage or outages and you can ask for that premium price again.

Agree with paragraph one. Bidirectional power? Never ever going to happen. Warranty issues. Wrong chemistry type. Poor use of a rugged pack design. Much smarter to simply add a battery to your home. And it'll make Tesla a lot more money!

I'm in on the something else with Model Y idea.

Reactions: KJD
Could this be it?
-1x-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.