Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just silly. Personal preference is one thing but calling the Model 3 MCU “bolt on” is some pretty serious hyperbole.

The display itself absolutely looks like a bolt-on, like someone decided to permanently install a computer monitor in a car. I remember seeing a post here of someone getting pulled over when the police thought it was a bolt-on computer. It looks very similar to police cars having laptops in their cruisers, like the setup pictured below, except a more modern version using touch screen instead of the keyboard, and of course removing all other buttons, displays and indicators from the cabin, making the mounted screen the single point of failure for all car controls. Lucky for people that government regulations require physical stalk for blinkers, or you'd be controlling them through the touch menu system on the screen.

Police Car Computer.jpg

Dash-CF1_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I agree the Model 3 screen looks like an afterthought and the S/X looks like it was designed from the ground up with a screen. The Model 3 screen also looks fragile. I could see a kid whacking the corner and breaking the display where it would take more effort in the current S/X to break the screen.

@buttershrimp predicted a double battery pack. If they did do that it would give the S a range somewhere in the 500-550 mile ballpark. I strongly doubt they're going to do that. I expect it will be the same footprint with 2170s and a capacity in the 120 KWH ballpark, which should get the S into the low 400s for range. The rumors also say the S/X are getting Model 3 motors and if they do have an aero wheel option, that should easily get the Model S over 400 mile range, even if the car weighs a little more.

A 400 mile range will easily put the S and X way out ahead of any European car makers for several years in the range department. Most of the cars on the market now or just reaching market are well shy of 300 mile range with battery packs in the same size range as the S/X.

It would be a major redesign to lose the falcon wing doors on the Model X, that feature is deeply integrated into the design. But it would make the X a lot cheaper to build. They could redesign the S to be almost as easy to build as the M3 with only moderate effort, but the X remains difficult to build and will likely remain that way until the new X body is unveiled in a few years.

Correct! Refresh now scheduled summer. Model 3 permanent magnet front and Ac induction motor in back. Small readout in front of driver but not a screen per se. Very thin border less center floating screen. New taillights and active aero on tail .NOT going to the 3 battery pack WTF ( still can’t believe that, maybe disinformation campaign?) they are talking ~350 mile range. New heated and cooled seats and probable new door cards.

No rumored updates to the front and headlights? The headlights in Model 3 are much better than X/S and I would hope that they get the deserved upgrade and even better if they put some Matrix headlights in there. Also would make sense to update S/X with new LED signature in front, wouldn't it?

No rumored updates to the front and headlights? The headlights in Model 3 are much better than X/S and I would hope that they get the deserved upgrade and even better if they put some Matrix headlights in there. Also would make sense to update S/X with new LED signature in front, wouldn't it?
Sorry no info on that. I will say to those speculating on the look of the interior that while those artist renditions may reflect what is coming they are not definitive nor completely detailed so I would wait with the heavy criticism regarding the esthetics

The interior leaked pictures don't look that great. The range will definitely increase, but all I care about is the performance. As long as the current P100D is still going to be the fastest sedan ever made, I will be OK with the update

The current P100D is not the fastest sedan ever made, I don't even think its the quickest although it might be. Tesla is quick to 60mph, and don't bother turning the steering wheel. You want fast, get yourself a Bentley Speed.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
One thing I think is interesting is how they laid off a bunch of the Model X and S lines before the reduction in sales came through. I could see Tesla killing the Falcon Wing Doors in the X (unfortunately) and I think they are going to try to use materials to differentiate the S and X. But I anticipate the Vertical screen is going away, as are the door handles, the car will get lighter, and get aero wheel options, I think the most interesting thing regarding the battery pack is going to be something that is like a precursor of what they are planning int he roadster, stacking two packs on top of each other. Expect 450 mile range in the S and 400 in the X. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn the car into a powerwall eventually if they can somehow. Expect new air suspension supplier, and continued refinements and massively different wiring and simplification of the vehicle. Expect doubling down on push button exit latches on the interior, and expect air conditioning vent change.
Maybe expect them to do something different, like unveil potential moonroof option as they surely are going to take advantage of the the weird patent they developed.
Expect a lot of people that upgrade to new version of model X and S experiencing buyers remorse as they idealize their old S and X... basically people AP1 versus AP2 all over again.... eventually it will probably be much more reliable and more bug resistant and yet. Everything will get tow hitches. Expect more fool proof cupholders rather than unfolding and high tech... I don't know how they make the car faster with the 2170 batteries but I'm sure they will figure something out. I'm going to guess some nutty bigger motors in the Performance versions.... Like whatever they are going to put in the roadster.

Expect it to be fairly righteous. In the mean time I need to find a Tesla Mechanic that I can kidnap and keep in the basement to fix my model X falcon wing doors in the year 2040 since I don't want to sell my Teslas. Upgrading is for quitters.

Interesting that you touch on Air Suspension. I purposefully did not choose that option when it was an option. It has proven over the years, all makes and models. Air suspension setups get a lot of wear and have leaks, leaks which become expensive fixes. The other day I was at Tesla Service and one of their own service vehicles was towed in with the air suspension broken. They are going to be a major headache for owners when the vehicles start hitting 6+ years and out of warranty.

The current P100D is not the fastest sedan ever made, I don't even think its the quickest although it might be. Tesla is quick to 60mph, and don't bother turning the steering wheel. You want fast, get yourself a Bentley Speed.
From what I understand the “performance “ model S update will have the same 0-60 time as a p100d but with the model 3 motor they will tweak the 1/4 mile with a lower time and higher trap speed since the permanent magnet motor will pull harder after 80mph

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Inside
0 - 60
P100D 3.0 Bentley Speed 3.4

Max speed
P100D 155 Bentley Speed 209

Price
P100D 98K Bentley Speed 200K

The fastest production sedan ever made is the Dodge Charger Hellcat with a top speed of 204 mph. The fastest Bentley has a top speed of 202mph slower than the Hellcat. The Cadillac CTS V has a top speed of 200 mph.

The Tesla model S P100D is the quickest by acceleration for a production car with a 0 to 60 in 2.28 sec. Most supercars and Hypercars can’t beat that acceleration.

Here is what a one sec difference in acceleration looks like:

Last edited:
The fastest production sedan ever made is the Dodge Charger Hellcat with a top speed of 204 mph. The fastest Bentley has a top speed of 202mph slower than the Hellcat. The Cadillac CTS V has a top speed of 200 mph.

The Tesla model S P100D is the quickest by acceleration for a production car with a 0 to 60 in 2.28 sec. Most supercars and Hypercars can’t beat that acceleration.

Here is what a one sec difference in acceleration looks like:

Bentley claims 209 on their website

Correct! Refresh now scheduled summer. Model 3 permanent magnet front and Ac induction motor in back. Small readout in front of driver but not a screen per se. Very thin border less center floating screen. New taillights and active aero on tail .NOT going to the 3 battery pack WTF ( still can’t believe that, maybe disinformation campaign?) they are talking ~350 mile range. New heated and cooled seats and probable new door cards.

Any reference to a HUD? That little readout is going to be a bit underwhelming.

I don't quite get the bit about the battery or range. In another thread somebody had posted about references in the firmware to a 6 string x 108 module. Assuming that's for 18650 cells, and assuming that the # of modules stays the same, then that alone would increase range by 15% - so 385. Add a bit more efficiency for the new motors, aero and such and you're pretty darned close to 400 miles.

Any reference to a HUD? That little readout is going to be a bit underwhelming.

I don't quite get the bit about the battery or range. In another thread somebody had posted about references in the firmware to a 6 string x 108 module. Assuming that's for 18650 cells, and assuming that the # of modules stays the same, then that alone would increase range by 15% - so 385. Add a bit more efficiency for the new motors, aero and such and you're pretty darned close to 400 miles.
Rated miles don't mean much to me. What are real world miles? 70 mph, AC set at 67 and 300 miles or more between charging would be meaningful. For Day to day driving my 75D rarely gets below 60% so it's more than enough.

Honestly, "fastest" becomes strictly a numbers game not far after 150mph, as then you need to seek out special tracks just to be able to test the limits (before you hit a turn). "Quickest" is a much more usable day-to-day trait to spend your money on, and even then we're pushing the limits of that without needing non-road-legal track tires to realize the benefits.

Doesn't make it any less fun though ;)

Reactions: Vitaman
Rated miles don't mean much to me. What are real world miles? 70 mph, AC set at 67 and 300 miles or more between charging would be meaningful. For Day to day driving my 75D rarely gets below 60% so it's more than enough.

You need some sort of consistent metric that can be used to compare cars across all manufacturers. The current method of doing that works pretty well.

Yes I know that I'll only get rated miles (or sometimes a bit better) on moderate summer days at 60-65 mph. But that's okay. I can mentally adjust from there.

Last edited:
Wondering if battery upgrades come at the same time as the motors, or if they push one of the upgrades to the quarter after. My guess is they would split them up and some people would miss out on one of the upgrades as they normally do.

I found the 209 claim on thier website.

Here's a Road and Track review stating 207.

2019 Bentley Continental GT First Drive Review

The car is a two door sports coupe for people who prefer a more luxurious interior than a Lamborghini Huracan. Doesn’t have the looks of the Lamborghini either. As a 200k+ Sports coupe, you should be comparing it to the Tesla roadster not the P100D which is a four door family sedan: I use mine for hauling kids and their gear.

Reactions: KJD and RobStark
Honestly, "fastest" becomes strictly a numbers game not far after 150mph, as then you need to seek out special tracks just to be able to test the limits (before you hit a turn). "Quickest" is a much more usable day-to-day trait to spend your money on, and even then we're pushing the limits of that without needing non-road-legal track tires to realize the benefits.

Doesn't make it any less fun though ;)

Yeah, it’s for fun! In VA, reckless driving (20+ miles over the speed limit) is a class 1 misdemeanor with steep penalties including jail time. Be careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.