Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a little research, the modules for the S/X pack are described as 3.5 inches tall, which is 89 mm. They currently hold 65mm tall cells as well as the cooling loops, connectors, some electronics as well as the physical box of the module itself. Most of the vertical space is taken up with the height of the cell, electrical connections, and physical box. There is 24 mm (just shy of an inch) left in vertical height on top of the cell itself. A redesigned module might be able to shave down the 24mm space used to 19mm to accommodate the 5mm taller cell. Or it might not.

No kidding. I'm taking a long serious look right now. I could basically sell my P85DL for $50K and pay $55K after the rebates to have a fully optioned P100DL without FSD.
Yes was thinking the same thing but is this with an interior refresh? When you configure on the website you see the old interior. I do like the idea of the new active suspension. The wife’s Range Rover Velar rides like a cloud compared to my S

Is acceleration times gonna be worse for non-P S since they replaced an induction motor with a permanent magnet motor?
From what I hear ( wink wink nod nod say no more) the new S ( and I’m referring to just the P variant) will have the same time from 0-60 but will be slightly faster from ~60 to the quarter mile trap speed because of the efficiency of the permanent magnet motor. We are just about traction limited to 60 anyway. Elon can’t put out a slower S as a successor and claim that’s progress can he? One of my friends raced a model 3 performance with his p85d and said he would get the jump on the 3 but then could not shake him for the rest of the quarter mile with the 3 staying 2-3 car lengths behind the entire way

Last edited:
...acceleration times gonna be worse for non-P S since they replaced an induction motor with a permanent magnet motor?
Unlikely to be worse. The torque and power settings are set by Tesla. If Tesla picks a smaller, less powerful motor for the front, they can simply dial up those for the rear.
From what I hear ( wink wink nod nod say no more) the new S ( and I’m referring to just the P variant) will have the same time from 0-60 but will be slightly faster from ~60 to the quarter mile trap speed because of the efficiency of the permanent magnet motor. We are just about traction limited to 60 anyway. Elon can’t put out a slower S as a successor and claim that’s progress can he? One of my friends raced a model 3 performance with his p85d and said he would get the jump on the 3 but then could not shake him for the rest of the quarter mile with the 3 staying 2-3 car lengths behind the entire way
The cars are torque limited most of the way to 60, then power limited, then limited slightly by motor constraints before reaching top speed. It will be interesting to see if the latter changes with the new front motor.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
No kidding. I'm taking a long serious look right now. I could basically sell my P85DL for $50K and pay $55K after the rebates to have a fully optioned P100DL without FSD.
Why? $55K for the up to 0.4s quicker car without plus suspension? Ok, bio-hazard mode, fake leather, and MCU2, though the latter is a mixed blessing (no always-on mode means often phone app times out before the car wakes up - we have MCU1 and MCU2, MCU1 is always available very quickly, MCU2 takes time, and on occasion just won't wake up at all without a fob press). Oh, and for highway AP, AP1 is still better (that actually surprised the hell out of me when I drove my wife's AP2.5 recently, so much less smooth than AP1).

No such thing. Can't get around the laws of physics. Now if you mean monovision(two prescriptions..one for each eye) or multi-focal, that's a different thing but they mess with your vision WAY more than bifocal each for different reasons.
I beg to differ. Your assertion that you "can't get around the laws of physics" shows that you not only wear glasses, but that you have blinders on as well. Bifocal contacts are made in such a way that you don't have to tilt your head or move your glasses to see through a separate lens. And monovision is a technique whereby one contact is used for distance and the other for close up. A hybrid use of this would be one for distance and the other a bifocal lens. That is what I am currently using at it works magnificently. It's true that it takes some time for some people to get used to it, but the brain eventually gets used to it and merges the sight from both eyes perfectly. The brain is a wonderful tool if it isn't shut out from being used by one track minds that say it can't be done and refuse to see reality. The optometrist has been asking me if I have thought about lasik surgery and doing away with contacts for years. So I told him "let's test this. Put a contact in both of my eyes that would show me what vision I could have AFTER the lasik.....then test my accuity. THEN put my hybrid contacts in (one for distance, the other a bifocal) and compare them." No comparison........the optometrist conceded I see better with the distance and bifocal contacts than I would be able to see after having had lasik surgery.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
S refresh is announced now. M3 switched reluctance motor in the front, AC induction in the back, giving a range improvement with the same battery pack. Suspension improved. They are sticking with the continuous improvement program, and not doing an interior refresh, or battery type change at this point.

Nope. This is not a "refresh". I think it's a "what can we do to get something out now" effort. At a minimum The dual charge ports, available on the 3 in Europe now, is coming and that will require updates to the sheet metal on the rear. And of course Tesla put out that interior refresh rendering. That's happening soon too.

...unless you could design a contact lens that doesn't move when you look down :rolleyes: But you understand that any lens that moves with your eye can't be bifocal. Apparently they achieve this non moving lens by having it locked into place by your lower eyelid. That would drive me BONKERS.
You are wrong again. The contact bifocal lens is made with concentric circles. So envision (no pun intended) a contact lens with different circles all the way to the middle. Each circle is made of different focus. One circle is for far vision, the next circle for near..........and so on until you get to the middle of the contact. In this way, your brain uses the optic nerve to see BOTH far and near at the same time without having to move your eye to a different position. Brilliant!

You are wrong again. The contact bifocal lens is made with concentric circles. So envision (no pun intended) a contact lens with different circles all the way to the middle. Each circle is made of different focus. One circle is for far vision, the next circle for near..........and so on until you get to the middle of the contact. In this way, your brain uses the optic nerve to see BOTH far and near at the same time without having to move your eye to a different position. Brilliant!
While informative your discussion isn't really on topic. You two should get a thread

I am in no hurry but my next electric vehicle must have a range starting with at least 4, and I want 80% of that in a 20 minute charge. Everything else is optional, speed 0 - 60 is fast enough as it is. The sub 4 seconds is just going to make the grand parents pass out.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Here's a strikingly on-topic question for this thread: When the ventilated seats came back, the P100D was the only S that got them. I just checked tesla.com, and it doesn't look like it has them anymore? Was that removed just now, or with the name change from "P100D" to "Performance" not long ago.

EDIT: I just noticed someone posted a separate thread about this an hour ago.

I think it's ALL S&X owners. If you've bought one, regardless of year, you're good. Now the question is whether you need to have bought it new (or does used qualify too?), and if you need to be a current owner (or just having bought one new in the past).
Typically answers to those kind of questions are not defined but determined when they come up. Or it depends on who you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.