Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I look at new Model Ss on the order page, it says that the range is 335 miles. That is considerably more than the 265 that I have now on my 215 Model S now. Are you speculating that the "new" Model S will have more than 335 miles? Partly that is the 100 battery, and partly that is from newer motors, so I think that the new range is already being delivered.

The "new" interior could be anything. When I was at Rocklin last week I saw different wood on the dash. All this leads me to believe that "new" will be offered one bit at a time, which goes with Tesla's current method of updates. They do not do "makeovers" and they do not turn out "new" model years or months or decades. Just continuous, quiet updates.

New seats. this should tie in when the drivetrain refresh comes out in about two months. The active suspension will not be constant electro magnet ( eats up too much juice) but rather settings on the air suspension for sport, comfort etc. There will be new headlights and taillights but sitting in the same nacels. There will be active aero for the rear wing and on the front bumper. The new computer will be massively more powerful for the self driving functions.

Okay I'm confused. The new drivetrain is not what was announced on Tuesday, and the new computer is not in today's version of the Model S? If so, you'd be crazy to order one today right? (puts away credit card)

• Funny
Reactions: avesraggiana
I understand from what Elon said that if I ordered a new S today it would have the new motors etc. Is that not accurate? If so does that mean it will also have the interior refresh you stated?

When I look at new Model Ss on the order page, it says that the range is 335 miles. That is considerably more than the 265 that I have now on my 215 Model S now. Are you speculating that the "new" Model S will have more than 335 miles? Partly that is the 100 battery, and partly that is from newer motors, so I think that the new range is already being delivered.

The "new" interior could be anything. When I was at Rocklin last week I saw different wood on the dash. All this leads me to believe that "new" will be offered one bit at a time, which goes with Tesla's current method of updates. They do not do "makeovers" and they do not turn out "new" model years or months or decades. Just continuous, quiet updates.

it has been reported that the new range for the model S long range will be 370, the performance or ludicrous version will take a 25 mile hit to the range or about 245 miles

FSD computer, updated drivetrain, updated suspension, and updated charging are all now available to new (custom) orders, and will likely be 5/2019 production cars. The only outstanding change missing is interior - aside from ventilated seats no longer being available.

FSD computer, updated drivetrain, updated suspension, and updated charging are all now available to new (custom) orders, and will likely be 5/2019 production cars. The only outstanding change missing is interior - aside from ventilated seats no longer being available.
CraZ8 says, apparently from his sources, that the announced changes and interior refresh he detailed up thread are coming at the same time.

I have to think that a battery upgrade is still coming. Recent news of Panasonic considering switching Japan plant to 2170 cells, verygreen comments on twitter that something else is coming besides the powertrain, and the Model S lead designers awkwardly saying "not at this time" when asked specifically about the battery by Motortrend. Awkward messaging if true....they're gonna release another blog post saying jk now the S goes even farther?

A little more info and some clarification. There will be a super thin Landscape center screen, a small readout for speed and other functions in front of the driver and a similar readout in front of the passenger with a G meter. I guess they are making this symmetrical for switching over to British/ Japanese markets. New door cards with pockets, Trim that wraps from the dash to around the doors. New seats. this should tie in when the drivetrain refresh comes out in about two months. The active suspension will not be constant electro magnet ( eats up too much juice) but rather settings on the air suspension for sport, comfort etc. There will be new headlights and taillights but sitting in the same nacels. There will be active aero for the rear wing and on the front bumper. The new computer will be massively more powerful for the self driving functions.

This is very confusing. Powertrain refresh just happened. Did not come with a refresh. So refresh separately in a couple months? Lots of people theorized this so makes sense. Any word on battery upgrade?

Okay I'm confused. The new drivetrain is not what was announced on Tuesday, and the new computer is not in today's version of the Model S? If so, you'd be crazy to order one today right? (puts away credit card)

This is very confusing. Powertrain refresh just happened. Did not come with a refresh. So refresh separately in a couple months? Lots of people theorized this so makes sense. Any word on battery upgrade?
yes its all tied together apparently, but sadly no battery upgrade at this time

Correct. Other than no reference to interior refresh - which could come within the next few months if rumors turn out to be true -- this was unequivocally stated in yesterday's release. From the last line: "These changes will go into production at our factory in Fremont, California this week, and can be ordered today at Tesla.com."

A little more info and some clarification. There will be a super thin Landscape center screen, a small readout for speed and other functions in front of the driver and a similar readout in front of the passenger with a G meter. I guess they are making this symmetrical for switching over to British/ Japanese markets. New door cards with pockets, Trim that wraps from the dash to around the doors. New seats. this should tie in when the drivetrain refresh comes out in about two months. The active suspension will not be constant electro magnet ( eats up too much juice) but rather settings on the air suspension for sport, comfort etc. There will be new headlights and taillights but sitting in the same nacels. There will be active aero for the rear wing and on the front bumper. The new computer will be massively more powerful for the self driving functions.

Very interesting info, but something just doesn't add up. The new motors and the new adaptive air suspension is in production, but without the interior refresh, new seats and new headlights/rear lights and active aero you're talking about.

MotorTrend drove the new Long Range version with the new motors and new suspension just recently and that car did have the same old interior and lights.
EXCLUSIVE: 2019 Tesla Model S Review: From SF to LA on One Charge? - MotorTrend

So it seems like if there is an interior refresh coming and also some exterior changes, it is not tied with the motor/suspension change.

Will there be one additional update with the remaining goodies in 2 months or so??

Thanks for all info!

Interior refresh and drivetrain all at the same time, there was some discussion if this was to be a staggered rollout on not
Ok a mea culpa from me. My source said everything this summer and I ASSUMED that it was at the same time. ( you know what they say when you assume something) turns out that the drivetrain is basically now and the interior roll out is later this summer July or August. I wondered too after looking at the configuration page so finnally got some clarification. Hope this clears things up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.