Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok a mea culls from me. My source said everything this summer and I ASSUMED that it was at the same time. ( you know what they say when you assume something) turns out that the drivetrain is basically now and the interior roll out is later this summer July or August. I wondered to after looking at the configuration page so finnally got some clarification. Hope this clears things up

Gotcha, yeah that seems to be the consensus. Hopefully the interior refresh is worth it! I'll be waiting.

Ok a mea culls from me. My source said everything this summer and I ASSUMED that it was at the same time. ( you know what they say when you assume something) turns out that the drivetrain is basically now and the interior roll out is later this summer July or August. I wondered to after looking at the configuration page so finnally got some clarification. Hope this clears things up

I think it makes perfect sense. Since a lot of people have said a single landscape screen is a deal killer. (I don't know that the small readout, like the 2020 Roadster has is good enough to satisfy them.)

People that were waiting for the refreshed items have two choices:
  1. You want the two screen with portrait MCU with the better drivetrain/suspension? Order now.
  2. You want the new interior and are OK with a single landscape screen? Wait until this summer, or whenever it comes out.

I think it makes perfect sense. Since a lot of people have said a single landscape screen is a deal killer. (I don't know that the small readout, like the 2020 Roadster has is good enough to satisfy them.)

1. You want the two screen with portrait MCU with the better drivetrain/suspension? Order now.
  2. You want the new interior and are OK with a single landscape screen? Wait until this summer, or whenever it comes out.
I assume a refreshed interior will have a landscape screen, but as the S/X are the expensive vehicles I'm hoping the 2nd screen in front of the driver will be retained. I think no one knows whether this will happen or not.

I assume a refreshed interior will have a landscape screen, but as the S/X are the expensive vehicles I'm hoping the 2nd screen in front of the driver will be retained. I think no one knows whether this will happen or not.
I hope so too. CraZ8, who had some accurate information about the drivetrain, says there will be a small screen on either side. That's also consistent with the leak Electrek had about a year ago. If there is a small screen to display speed and other critical items, then a landscape central screen is no longer a deal breaker for me.

I hope so too. CraZ8, who had some accurate information about the drivetrain, says there will be a small screen on either side. That's also consistent with the leak Electrek had about a year ago. If there is a small screen to display speed and other critical items, then a landscape central screen is no longer a deal breaker for me.
Sounds hopeful but I'll wait until I have eyes on to decide.

Reactions: pilotSteve

I owned a Model S and Model 3 simultaneously for about six months. The second IC screen is completely unnecessary. In over a year with the Model 3 I haven't missed it a single time. In fact, I found myself frustrated by it getting blocked by the wheel and my hands, particularly when turning. You only notice things like that after it's gone.

Furthermore, the glow was distracting when moving to the Model S. The pure darkness in your forward line of sight is an improvement. Better night vision and visibility of the road.

To be clear, I fully expected to miss the IC but the opposite happened. It was the same with the dedicated Autopilot stalk. I prefer the single stalk with "Autopilot" being downward clicks from Drive. It just feels right.

If anyone has lived with a Model 3 for months and misses it, I completely respect that. But if you're hypothesizing, I urge you to keep an open mind and you may be pleasantly surprised. Based on all the feedback from Model 3 owners I know, I suspect the IC will fade into history like floppy drives and physical keyboards on phones.

@Fred42 Did you read what @CraZ8 wrote a few posts back:

A little more info and some clarification. There will be a super thin Landscape center screen, a small readout for speed and other functions in front of the driver and a similar readout in front of the passenger with a G meter. I guess they are making this symmetrical for switching over to British/ Japanese markets.

Then go back and look at videos of the 2020 Roadster at the little strip display that it has... i.e. there won't be a large IC with nav/music/tire pressure/etc. on it.

@Fred42 Did you read what @CraZ8 wrote a few posts back:

Then go back and look at videos of the 2020 Roadster at the little strip display that it has... i.e. there won't be a large IC with nav/music/tire pressure/etc. on it.

Yes, you can see something going on in the recent videos:
https://i.imgur.com/n8Tfy18.png

There's a similar strip/glow in front of both the driver and passenger. It appears to be embedded inside the seam of the vent.

Industry standard, as long as everyone uses it that's what we go off of. It wasn't a problem until recent years when cars could start laying down power on the word go with launch control. Electric cars made it worse with no engine revs or turbo lag.

That's fair. It's only an issue if they use 1-foot rollout on Performance but not on the other models. They should stick to one standard or be very clear about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: CraZ8

And also with #1, lesser cost of the FSD plus the $3750 fed tax credit. Drops to $1875 July 1st.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It may be that all the planned changes are going to take some time to bring into production, but the motors and suspension were ready to go and they needed to do something to boost sales ASAP.

I dunno. Looking back now, I suspect that this was all planned. Killing the 75 was bound to significantly reduce S and X sales; it was more than half of the volume. Why would Tesla do that? The only reason that I can think of is that they needed to take down production to do the line upgrades. Now, with the line running full bore again, they've re-introduced the shorter range S/X. And that will put them back into play for a lot of people who want something bigger than the 3.

You don't get these sorts of things done based on a whim. There's a lot of advance work and scheduling required - for parts suppliers, for the integrators doing the upgrade work in the plant, and for the staffing. Elon can't just walk in one day and say "let's do it now". Things just don't work that way.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone ever bought those limited 100 packs it'll be interesting to see if one ever shows up on the market. Another problem with tesla is they don't give a damn about the used market, they only care about people buying ordering a car now. Because of the constant changes they make it's nearly impossible to figure out what car is what on the used market unless you have the original paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.