Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some question the accuracy and integrity of this you-tuber. So, take it with a grain of salt. Doesn’t seem outside the realm of possibility after the maxwell tech acquisition.

If the video is accurate, the Model S refresh is going to be an absolute beast. The exterior looks like a total kick a$$ muscle car. We know the interior will have the slick minimalist interior like the Model 3. And 3 motors and 400 miles range! WOW. The new Model S is going to dominate!

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and VQTRVA
If the video is accurate, the Model S refresh is going to be an absolute beast. The exterior looks like a total kick a$$ muscle car. We know the interior will have the slick minimalist interior like the Model 3. And 3 motors and 400 miles range! WOW. The new Model S is going to dominate!

I don't think those exterior and interior pictures are anything but the artist's imagination

I don't think those exterior and interior pictures are anything but the artist's imagination

Yes, which is why I prefaced my reply with "if the video is accurate". Although, I trust Tesla to come up with an amazing exterior and interior refresh even if the video is incorrect in its renderings. The Model S refresh is going to be amazing no matter what,

Seems strange to change the motor setup after the Raven update. That makes the raven update a very short run and costly for no reason...
All incremental. Raven is the new (PMSR) motor is in front for range. The proposed update would just swap the rear motor for performance. In fact they would likely go from one big P motor in the rear to two small motors in the rear, the small motors being similar to the current DU00 units. We suspect that those units were good for more than 450Nm torque each but not as much as 550Nm before the bearing refresh. The rear LR RWD PMSW could do more than 450Nm. If something similar is being used in the S/X front you are above 1350Nm on a car 300 pounds lighter. It would be so quick that Tesla would probably have to tune it down a notch until the new roadster has been established.

My guess is all the changes in the video happen eventually: higher capacity battery, better cooling, twin rear motors, exterior refresh and interior refresh. But it is not like Tesla to do them all at once.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
The interesting part for me is that the change in badging to "dual motor" now makes more sense if the tri-motor rumors are correct:

The Tesla Model S Could Be About to Cross a Crucial Electric Car Milestone | Inverse

From the article:
The refresh is also expected to offer a tri-motor design, similar to the $200,000 second-generation Roadster expected to launch next year. Current tests involve a “micro-motor” in the front and two larger motors in the rear. Both standard and performance variants are under testing, meaning enthusiasts may have a new most-coveted electric car on the way.​

Anyone else thinking the same way?

The cost-effective exterior refresh items (on any car) are the bumper covers, light assemblies and, to a lesser extent, the hood, front fenders, and hatch.

The body-in-white is extremely expensive to change and validate for crashworthiness. The S has great bones and they can do a pretty huge refresh with only the above items and the new interior.

I can’t imagine them changing the basic structure of the car given their recent focus on fiscal responsibility.

The cost-effective exterior refresh items (on any car) are the bumper covers, light assemblies and, to a lesser extent, the hood, front fenders, and hatch.

The body-in-white is extremely expensive to change and validate for crashworthiness. The S has great bones and they can do a pretty huge refresh with only the above items and the new interior.

I can’t imagine them changing the basic structure of the car given their recent focus on fiscal responsibility.

Yes you are on the money. The bumpers, headlights, taillights possibly the rear hatch to incorporate the active aero wing will be changed. All the other stampings are staying the same according to my info.

CraZ8, I went back and reviewed your previous posts and I apologize in advance if I missed it but I could not find anything where you mentioned a possible revision that would provide for three motors as the recent YouTube video suggests. Do you happen to know whether the three motors are part of the refresh we may see in the third quarter (together with the other items you have mentioned)? Also, any idea as to whether the increase in range is something we can also expect with that refresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.