Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it was a really straightforward answer, especially to the interior question. That makes me sure that at least this year we won't be seeing a big refresh of any kind. It's possible that they might update the batteries to get to 400 miles, which would by all means be a huge thing, but it's not an exterior or interior refresh.

Tesla is under a lot of pressure to bring the S/X up to the technology level in the 3. They can possibly put the interior off, and the range extension off. But, at a minimum, they really really need to match the charging speed (whatever that entails) and install dual charge ports, like with the model 3 in Europe. Elon also specifically promised that the flagship vehicles would lead the tech. It's clearly not so, and they need to deal with that.

Of course Elon has to carry that line otherwise it kills sales.
Of course there's going to an imminent improve. You can't have the lower class vehicle fitted with the newer tech and see sales continue to slide on the higher priced, higher yielding vehicles. If they don't, well it'll cost them massively.
Patience, it'll be here soon enough, then you'll have the deprecation to think about because the next best bit of tech is around the corner.

If there was any significant change to Tesla exterior or interior this year, Elon's tweet would have been a straight up lie. I don't think that's going to happen.

Note that I am not talking about new batteries, fast supercharging, higher range, etc. I am talking about any interior changes, or changes to the looks of the car.

To me it was a really straightforward answer, especially to the interior question. That makes me sure that at least this year we won't be seeing a big refresh of any kind. It's possible that they might update the batteries to get to 400 miles, which would by all means be a huge thing, but it's not an exterior or interior refresh.

I agree, it was very straightforward. I guess the question is can we trust it to mean what it looks like it means? Or is a dash and a main screen change still in the works for this year and Musk is downplaying it as minor?

I really hope we will get new headlights and rearlights for the Model S. Headlights on the S are really bad in terms of performance and spread of light compared to Model 3 and the Rear lights on the S looks so dated that I don't know where to start. They turn me off massively with the dot LED look compared with the X and 3 LED's. The S looks 5 years older at least.

In Europe they need to incorporate the CCS port for S/X like the 3 already have. This would also solve the rear light issue so hope they do that redesign this autumn.

I really hope we will get new headlights and rearlights for the Model S. Headlights on the S are really bad in terms of performance and spread of light compared to Model 3 and the Rear lights on the S looks so dated that I don't know where to start. They turn me off massively with the dot LED look compared with the X and 3 LED's. The S looks 5 years older at least.

In Europe they need to incorporate the CCS port for S/X like the 3 already have. This would also solve the rear light issue so hope they do that redesign this autumn.

Aim up your headlights - makes them massively better. There's entire threads on this. Read this one: Poor LED Performance - 1 Solution

Regarding the tail lights, no luck there, although I actually love them so I'm surprised to hear you don't.

Reactions: St Charles
Of course Elon has to carry that line otherwise it kills sales.
Of course there's going to an imminent improve. You can't have the lower class vehicle fitted with the newer tech and see sales continue to slide on the higher priced, higher yielding vehicles. If they don't, well it'll cost them massively.
Patience, it'll be here soon enough, then you'll have the deprecation to think about because the next best bit of tech is around the corner.

He doesn’t need to answer to tweets like that at all. If they change the interior this year, this would be extremely dishonest.

I get that Elon won’t tell us when what will happen, since that might hurt sales. But saying nothing will happen and then changing the interior is just abusing the customers trust.

I agree, it was very straightforward. I guess the question is can we trust it to mean what it looks like it means? Or is a dash and a main screen change still in the works for this year and Musk is downplaying it as minor?

I have a really hard time believing that we'll see a new interior this year, now. Elon is sometimes, necessarily, evasive but I've not seen him outright lie. Very clearly saying there will be no new interior, and then swapping the dash/interior would be an outright lie.

I suspect that they intended to do it, but things aren't ready yet. So it's pushed back into next year.

All of the other stuff could be lumped into the "minor" category.

I think I figured this all out!!!!!

Elon stated that Tesla will have 1mm TeslaRoboTaxis on the road by next year. If you look at the London Taxis you'll notice that they haven't significantly changed appearance in 50+ years. Maybe Elon is taking a hint from that and keeping all Tesla models "looking" similar by model so that they will be easily recognized as Taxis. LMAO :D

1955-austin-fx3

CURRENT
16840_p1_s_1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: avesraggiana
This is mostly true. I think Tesla, as a group of people, does have a mission beyond making money. But reality is that if you don't make money, you aren't going to accomplish any mission.

That's exactly what I meant. No company can continue as an ongoing business if it does not make enough money to support that. It's especially true for Tesla that needs a lot of money to accomplish its mission which is still not a sure thing. Unfortunately there are always those people who on one hand say I support Tesla's mission but on the other hand say the top priority should be to take care of my wants and needs. Talk about having the cake and eat it too.

2 years and 132 pages and an update is still imminent. :D:cool: I was on the side of no major update coming either.....so much so that I bought a RavenRefresh the day it was announced. Well 2 days after as Tesla cancelled may order and re-ordered. I still feel pretty comfortable that no major refresh is imminent.

I remember congratulated you on the Tesla forum but refrained from mentioning the refresh which did come to my mind. Looks that is not a bad move even if it will always be a wrong move at least in some people's mind. As many say you need to wait forever to buy the best Tesla.

I think that the engineering staff has way more important work to do than cosmetic changes to low volume vehicles. Perhaps the upcoming Y, truck, semi, and newer batteries have a higher priority. Then, after those are substantially done, refreshing the S/X drivetrain and battery for higher efficiency and charging speed makes sense. Until there are more V3 SC locations, charging speed is still limited to 120-150 KW. Let’s return to this topic in a year or two.

I think that the engineering staff has way more important work to do than cosmetic changes to low volume vehicles. Perhaps the upcoming Y, truck, semi, and newer batteries have a higher priority. Then, after those are substantially done, refreshing the S/X drivetrain and battery for higher efficiency and charging speed makes sense. Until there are more V3 SC locations, charging speed is still limited to 120-150 KW. Let’s return to this topic in a year or two.

I agree. Given the company's cash position there are definitely bigger fish to fry than an interior refresh. I still love the lines on the Model S. Could there be some interior refinements, for sure, but those are the least of my worries.

While I applaud Elon's maniacal drive towards FSD, I think in the near to mid-term it is a strategic mistake. There is so much more basic blocking and tackling that has to improve to move Tesla to the next level whether before FSD needs to be a reality and IMO a refresh on the S's interior.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I think I figured this all out!!!!!

Elon stated that Tesla will have 1mm TeslaRoboTaxis on the road by next year. If you look at the London Taxis you'll notice that they haven't significantly changed appearance in 50+ years. Maybe Elon is taking a hint from that and keeping all Tesla models "looking" similar by model so that they will be easily recognized as Taxis. LMAO :D

1955-austin-fx3

CURRENT
16840_p1_s_1.jpg
Wrong - see the new taxi here:
https://www.levc.com/new-taxis/
Plus, it's a hybrid!

• Disagree
Reactions: boonedocks
My only hedge is that the announcement is still in September but you maybe can’t get the new interior until Jan which would make it technically next year

But that would absolutely TANK S/X sales between Sep and Jan, which is a full quarter then some... Who would buy something that is just about to get destroyed in value? Maybe with incredible discounts, but still doubtful

Status
Not open for further replies.