Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no battery upgrade with the Raven. That is still in the works. Battery upgrade should yield a 400 mile car, but going from current to 400 isn't a big deal.

There was a battery *revision*, to version "E" of the 100kWh battery, but it is still unknown what changes that might entail. It may only be wiring for the 200kW charging, but something changed enough to warrant a new version number.

Keep in mind not all changes are good. And once they make the change, you can't order the old one anymore, and there's no guarantee you'll find the exact config you want from inventory. So if you like the car you see today, you might be best off ordering it. I was on the fence between a 100D and P100D, when they updated the interior trim last year and dropped the cream option on the P models. I checked around and had my sales rep check too, and no red/cream P100D's in inventory. So I had to settle for the 100D. It did save me from spending an extra $32K though, and I do like the new light oak trim that comes with the cream.

When you have limited resources, you have to decide which will have the biggest impact. In the case of Tesla, they may have decided to invest in accelerating the Model Y instead of refreshing the S/X, because the volume and profit potential for Model Y is so much greater. Maybe that's what the added capacity in Fremont is all about.

Just a thought...
I suspect they didn't want another round of writing down their inventory so soon after Raven, which was late. And they judged the market didn't require the change at this time to sell S's and X's.

The S HAS to get upgrades, plain and simple. Raven wasn’t enough. They have to keep selling their premium flagship product, especially with cars like the Taycan on the horizon. They’re not going to abandon the S/X in favor of the 3/Y.

They might not abandon it, but being a publicly traded company now, there's a lot of pressure to reduce cost and increase volume - hence, increase shareholder value. For these reasons, they may just focus a majority of their efforts on the high volume 3/Y and future pickup trucks....

Tired? I think they looked great then and still look great now.
Not when compared to the more modern light-pipes in the Model 3, Model X, and even (gasp) Kias.

It is amazing what some people find to complain about. Especially when getting into anything other than a Tesla STILL feels old and tired.
It is amazing that some people are willing to spend $80k+ for a car that has 7 year-old tail light design that doesn't keep pace, aesthetically or technically, with its Model 3 and Model X siblings. Or even a $20k Kia for that matter. I have lots of stuff I'd like to sell to someone like you.

Last edited:
What makes me most bullish on Tesla is my own conversion I experienced as an owner. I was a euro lux rip roarin v8 dude, loving gobs of cf and sharply styled cars.

Now i find myself more interested in autopilot autosuspension autoupdates supercharger dog mode summon blah blah. Moreso than the aggressiveness of the front bumper or the style of the taillight. This is a daily driver and daily driving things that matter win.

Never thought I would feel that way as a performance car enthusiast but *sugar* it does that too :) Think Im gonna order a raven and not wait...like a sucker :)

Not when compared to the more modern light-pipes in the Model 3, Model X, and even (gasp) Kias.

It is amazing that some people are willing to spend $80k+ for a car that has 7 year-old tail light design that doesn't keep pace, aesthetically or technically, with its Model 3 and Model X siblings. Or even a $20k Kia for that matter. I have lots of stuff I'd like to sell to someone like you.

They have updated the tail lights. Newer designs don;t have the condensation issue.

I think the Model S tail lights look just fine. I'd greatly value an interior door pocket or compartment more than any tail light update.

Also not implementing frivolous exterior changes helps with the resale value of vehicles.

The Model S exterior still looks thoroughly modern and I would like them to change as little of it as possible.

The Audi ist still ramping up, but beats S and X sales in Europe easily. And at least compared to the S, cargo capability is similar.

And you are right, range is less and power is less. Still more people buy it, despite sharp price decreases by Tesla.

So Tesla really needs a more luxurious interior. Luxury cars have never been bought because of range. That’s still different with EVs. But once the others have 300 miles of range, Tesla won’t really compete with just having more range.

So if Tesla wants to stay in the luxury market, they need to make their cars real luxury cars.

There is still time, but they better have some ideas already.

Partly because of brand loyalty.

Partly because there is no cheaper compelling electric Audi. If Audi had Model 3 clone at Model 3 prices I very much doubt Etron outsells Model S/X.

Partly because Model 3 is cannibalizing Model S sales.

And only partly because some prefer Audi interior.

Reactions: DanCar
Sorry you feel this way, again my info is only as good as the source and who would have guessed that with Elon as a CEO that time lines would change, other cars and projects would be promoted at the expense of the S and X. Tesla as a young and overextended company does not have unlimited resources. Did I move the goalposts with the raven refresh? Told you about the new suspension as well didn’t I? We just have to wait and see how accurate the info is about the interior refresh. Sorry you feel cheated some how but really I would love to trade my early 2015 P85DL tomorrow for a Raven with a new interior but that is not going to happen. So I am disappointed for sure but I love my car and will drive it for another 6 months happily. And lighten up Francis ( let’s see who pegs that movie quote)

Just came here from tesla investors club, appreciate the info, but it seems no one got your stripes reference

Reactions: Seattle
Status
Not open for further replies.