Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone can tell you when or if Tesla will do a cosmetic update to the S, but I can tell you that the recent Raven updates are quite significant. I came off a 2015 S and the 2019 updated models are far smoother, quieter, quicker and more efficient. The adaptive suspension is amazing. With MCU2 and AP HW3, the new front motor, silicon carbide inverters, 200kW charging, 180wH/mile efficiency, ceramic wheel bearings, new electrical wiring and new(ish) seats and interior trim, you should be future proof for a while - assuming you like the current body & interior.

The 2019 is like a different car compared to the 2015-16 cars - you should take a test drive before making a decision ...

Like you, I drove the Performance 3 and while I appreciated the sporty nimble aspects of it, and much of the interior design, the subsequent S test drive closed the deal. Unpopular opinion right now, but I do prefer the S by a wide margin. YMMV, but part of why I bought now was the uncertainty whether I would like the rumoured S updates ...

Last edited:
With Tesla, these things pretty much always show up at the start of a quarter, to drive sales that quarter. Since we haven't heard anything yet (and since Project Raven is so recent,) it's very unlikely that anything will happen before October.

My guess is it won't happen then, either. If there is a significant refresh in the next twelve months, I'd bet it'll show up in January or February, to compensate for the loss of the tax credit and early year sales slump.

Of course, this is Tesla, and the one thing that's truly consistent is their inconsistency and confused communication, so this advice may very well be worth what you paid for it...

I turned in my Model S 90D in about three weeks ago. The residual was $67K. Auction price on the car was between $41K and $53K. I am seeing asks for around $58-60K. Buying out that lease was not a wise option. Since I turned it in, the "buy the performance version and get ludicrous for no additional charge" for previous owners is now offered to everyone, and there have been price drops. I am driving my other vehicles for a few months until the changes come to the S. If they don't come till next summer, I am fine with it. The next vehicle will be an outright purchase, as the lease numbers don't currently pencil out.

I don't think anyone can tell you when or if Tesla will do a cosmetic update to the S, but I can tell you that the recent Raven updates are quite significant. I came off a 2015 S and the 2019 updated models are far smoother, quieter, quicker and more efficient. The adaptive suspension is amazing. With MCU2 and AP HW3, the new front motor, silicon carbide inverters, 200kW charging, 180wH/mile efficiency, ceramic wheel bearings, new electrical wiring and new(ish) seats and interior trim, you should be future proof for a while - assuming you like the current body & interior.

The 2019 is like a different car compared to the 2015-16 cars - you should take a test drive before making a decision ...

Like you, I drove the Performance 3 and while I appreciated the sporty nimble aspects of it, and much of the interior design, the subsequent S test drive closed the deal. Unpopular opinion right now, but I do prefer the S by a wide margin. YMMV, but part of why I bought now was the uncertainty whether I would like the rumoured S updates ...

Thanks jdw it helps a lot !

I tried the Model S 4 years ago, before early ordering the X, I'll definitely go for a new test drive

Cheers,

Reactions: jdw
Next-gen Tesla Model S/X rumored to have 3 electric motors, 400+ mile range

I think there’s no question that there are prototypes testing some new upgrades, potentially three motors and a bigger/better battery pack.

This is just a game of semantics. Whatever upgrade comes next, it won’t be called a “refresh” but upgrades are certainly coming. We’ll just have to see when. Also unlikely that more than one upgrade comes at once, they will likely be spaced out several months.

Elon has said in the past that models S&X were stepping stones to get to the cheaper more affordable cars for the masses ( model 3 & Y) I do expect that S & X will be phased out sometime in the future. I only expect improvements to be made along the way when sales dip again

Great news everyone, the refresh is coming - how do I know? Because I placed my raven order today!

I've had mine for over a month now, so I'm still waking up in the middle of the night sweating wondering what awesome thing got announced while I slept.

To be honest, I got a Raven car fairly soon after it was announced because I'll have at least a small window of time before it's upgraded in some way. I love that Tesla does rolling updates instead of model years. It's also terrifying. But now that a month has passed I'm feeling OK and worry has stopped. Just enjoy the car you have, until it's time to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.