Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 MS 85D and saw all the remotes of the refresh. But I was not looking forward to what was projected by numerous sources. Also you get absolutely zero information from TESLA staff. They always state that they have no advance knowledge, I believe them!
Anyway I believe that the refresh was going to follow the setup of the Model 3 (Elon) sorry but I am not a fan of the removal of the instrument cluster and the physical hardware for controlling numerous functions that the Model S/X has.
I have driven the Model 3 and sat in it for long periods during repair waits at the Service Center (not joking). Just not a fan of the right side view for my speed, navigation, radio program and everything else I can place directly in front of me now. If they only offered the HUD option that was rumored to have been seen in testing with the Model 3.
Bottom line, had 107, 000 miles on the 2015, they ungraded the front motor (from Model 3), increasing the range to 345 miles, along with the new suspension and offered free Ludicrous ($20,000).
Now driving a 2019 Model S Performance

It looks like another thread was merged with the long running Model S update thread. The person may have been commenting on the other thread that was up to about 3 or 4 pages when merged. In any case the combined update thread is 144 pages. There has been the Raven update, but no major cosmetic changes yet.
My 300 page comment was in response to someone's joke.

Please keep the info coming @CraZ8 – we should all know by now that Tesla is moving the goalposts not anyone else. Life itself is a moving target so let’s not be too hard on the messenger. Now, for me personally, this news comes as quite a disappointment and has thrown my future plans into much doubt. My RVG expires mid-Sept and I was hoping to at least see a refreshed interior and thus be able to make an informed decision to either wait for availability or jump on a hopefully discounted (with free supercharging) Raven. Now—what to do? But, I digress—thank you @CraZ8 for your intel....please keep it coming.
CraZ8 nailed the drive unit/suspension upgrade in both specifics and timing. So he's as good a source as any in this 140+ page rumor mill.

MJP70D must have one of the last RVG's, because that program was terminated in June 2016 and applies to a window 36-39 months after purchase. I returned my S90D to Tesla under the RVG program this June. We have 2 other cars and thus intended to wait for our best option after the expected interior refresh announcement in the 3rd quarter.

But the Raven drivetrain upgrades were what were most important to us. Would it be nice to have door pockets, ventilated seats, more color/interior choices, return of the sunroof etc.? Sure. But if those come with a Model 3 type screen and we lose the 4 customizable screens we have in the current Model S, that's a downgrade rather than an upgrade IMHO.

With the interior refresh pushed to at least January, that's another cut in the tax credit plus possible price increases for FSD. Therefore we will go ahead and order the current Raven at an opportune time in 2019. That might be late in this quarter when Tesla is most eager to move new cars.

Last edited:
It may be wishful thinking but I just don't see Elon ceding the market to the Taycan (I understand some believe the Taycan is closer in size to the Model 3 but pricing is certainly closer to the S). The Model S is Elon's baby - it is what brought the company to this point in time to where it has the ability to dominate the BEV market. With the recent announcement of the Taycan having 30,000 reservations, I have a hard time believing Tesla will allow this segment of the market to slip away from them.

From a strategic standpoint, wouldn't it make the most sense to allow Porsche to fully announce the Taycan (with all of its specs and pricing) and then shortly thereafter announce an update (not a "refresh") that makes the Taycan look like outdated technology. With Porsche's rollout of the Taycan due in September, the end of the federal tax credits on December 31, moving the battery investor day to early next year together with CraZ8's info indicating an update has been moved to the first quarter all add up to something significant happening in early 2020 for the Model S.

AFAIK Free Supercharging for Life was only offered on legacy inventory S&X built before the Raven upgrade. If you browse inventory now, they are all Ravens, though some are now discontinued 285 rated miles SR version.

Perhaps there are a handful of legacy cars around with the FUSC offer, but we know Tesla tried hard to get rid of those in Q2.

To my knowledge FUSC has never been offered on Raven S&X, and I was also told that this morning at the local Tesla store in Burbank. I'd like to know soon if anyone here knows of FUSC being offered on Ravens. If it happened at end of Q2 it might happen at end of Q3.

Otherwise I'm inclined to order soon to beat the $1,000 price increase on FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: re04586
AFAIK Free Supercharging for Life was only offered on legacy inventory S&X built before the Raven upgrade. If you browse inventory now, they are all Ravens, though some are now discontinued 285 rated miles SR version.

Perhaps there are a handful of legacy cars around with the FUSC offer, but we know Tesla tried hard to get rid of those in Q2.

To my knowledge FUSC has never been offered on Raven S&X, and I was also told that this morning at the local Tesla store in Burbank. I'd like to know soon if anyone here knows of FUSC being offered on Ravens. If it happened at end of Q2 it might happen at end of Q3.

That is true, FUSC has never been offered on Ravens, and the May/June FUSC promotion was exclusively for pre-raven inventory cars. Which is amazing since the Tesla tweet announcing the promotion made no distinction at all and very unambiguously made it sound like any Model S/X bought before end of June would get FUSC. But if you tried to order a new custom one or a Raven inventory one you didn't get it. Tesla's inconsistency is horrible

That is true, FUSC has never been offered on Ravens, and the May/June FUSC promotion was exclusively for pre-raven inventory cars. Which is amazing since the Tesla tweet announcing the promotion made no distinction at all and very unambiguously made it sound like any Model S/X bought before end of June would get FUSC. But if you tried to order a new custom one or a Raven inventory one you didn't get it. Tesla's inconsistency is horrible
Have you thought about changing your avatar?

Tesla has brought back FUSC for Raven S&X... https://electrek.co/2019/08/03/tesla-brings-back-unsustainable-free-unlimited-supercharging-perk/

Status
Not open for further replies.