Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why cant there be non car related model S benefits?

-Free Supercharging(which they just added back)
-Priority Supercharging spots
-Priority Service(next day or same day)
-Accessory discount(like the $500 free credit in 2018)

The can do that, but that's just icing on the cake (except for the prior SC access which would be a really bad idea, I think).

The vehicle still has to be unequivocally better. Right now... it is in some regards, but no so much in others. And that's a problem. I do believe it's still coming in the relatively near future. If they were playhing with introducing it in September that means that a lot of the work is already done. Most likely, if they're planning on ramping up the Y in that same time frame, they don't want to draw away manufacturing resources to deal with issues involved in an S retool. And I'd say that makes sense. By early 2020 they will be past a lot of the early stage Y problems, and are better able to work on the S/X again.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Indeed. Priority is the new offerings that are selling well. The S was always a limited market vehicle with a time and place, it has received more attention than I would expect if the motive was purely money. Tesla investing energy in the recent overhaul of the drivetrain (Raven refresh) surprised and delighted me. Look forward to upgrading in a few years.

The screen on the S/X looks much more planned than the 3. the 3 looks like an aftermarket add on.

I hope they don't go with landscape orientation and keep the instrument cluster like they have now. I also hope they go back to the split screen capability they had on the previous versions of the firmware. I hate the current setup and I liked having black behind the top of screen icons. They tend to get lost in the map now. I also think the map controls disappearing after a few seconds is a bad design. If I want to zoom the map, I need to take my eyes off the road to touch the screen, then take my eyes off the road again and scan the screen to find the zoom control, then touch the screen again to zoom the screen. The controls that you might use while driving should be on screen all the time and should have high contrast with the background.

I agree and hope Tesla is monitoring this thread... they need a few new UX designers to get the job done right.

Indeed. Priority is the new offerings that are selling well. The S was always a limited market vehicle with a time and place, it has received more attention than I would expect if the motive was purely money. Tesla investing energy in the recent overhaul of the drivetrain (Raven refresh) surprised and delighted me. Look forward to upgrading in a few years.

I'll agree it's limited relative to cheaper cars. But BMW has a 7 series, Merc has a S Series. These are also limited models. But they contribute disproportionately to profit and brand cachet that makes people look on the brand as being something to aspire to. The lower end German cars are really nothing special compared to Japanese and Korean. But they sell at a higher price because the entire brand is viewed as premium. Take the higher end cars out of the mix and that goes away.

I ordered on Aug. 3 when FUSC was revived and took delivery Aug. 13. It seems clear that with limited options these days, Model S is being made in batch just like Model 3.

I think the seats have been improved since our S90D. The side support is better and the new seats have lumbar/headrest controls that the 206 next gen seats did not.

Today Aug. 14 we drove round trip to Zuma Beach, 95 miles. The calibration for autopilot took about 25 miles. The Zuma trip, including some slow traffic on the way home, consumed 117 rated miles at 287 Wh/mi. The rated miles are similar or a bit higher than the S90D but the Wh/mi is lower as we should expect. There are a lot of traffic/weather variables on these local SoCal trips. Our Mammoth trips will be the more valid comparison of efficiency/range.

Our 2015 S90D had coil suspension. Both ride and handling are improved with the Raven air suspension. We think we notice the faster acceleration too, though the Wh/mi went through the roof when I nailed it from a stoplight on Kanan Rd.

Slacker and TuneIn were both disabled when we picked up the car. Slacker was enabled over the air tonight but TuneIn is not yet working.

I ordered on Aug. 3 when FUSC was revived and took delivery Aug. 13. It seems clear that with limited options these days, Model S is being made in batch just like Model 3.

I think the seats have been improved since our S90D. The side support is better and the new seats have lumbar/headrest controls that the 206 next gen seats did not.

Today Aug. 14 we drove round trip to Zuma Beach, 95 miles. The calibration for autopilot took about 25 miles. The Zuma trip, including some slow traffic on the way home, consumed 117 rated miles at 287 Wh/mi. The rated miles are similar or a bit higher than the S90D but the Wh/mi is lower as we should expect. There are a lot of traffic/weather variables on these local SoCal trips. Our Mammoth trips will be the more valid comparison of efficiency/range.

Our 2015 S90D had coil suspension. Both ride and handling are improved with the Raven air suspension. We think we notice the faster acceleration too, though the Wh/mi went through the roof when I nailed it from a stoplight on Kanan Rd.

Slacker and TuneIn were both disabled when we picked up the car. Slacker was enabled over the air tonight but TuneIn is not yet working.

Is it quieter than your old S?

They made the seat changes in the S in December 2016. I missed them on my first S by a week but my March 2017 S has them.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Is it quieter than your old S?
Yes

We tested Navigate on Autopilot today, challenging conditions with moderate to heavy traffic between home and downtown LA. It's very hard for it to simulate what I would do with that much traffic. I suspect it's better for a lighter traffic route.

We do have some bugs. Driver's door panel came loose. Summon doesn't work right, coming out of our garage to only a fixed distance and refusing to go back into the garage. We are getting a ranger appointment next week on those. TuneIn works on maybe half the stations now; that's going to be the most challenging fix I suspect.

It's happening!
The [lower] range and interior update some have been asking for, don't worry about the sticker shock, it will all be worth it:

777051_taycan_2019_porsche_ag.0.jpg

Exterior is different too !! :

porsche-taycan-turbo-s-vs-turbo.jpg

/s of course.

And yes, I have a love/hate relationship with this thread too ^^

Just rename it, you could call it the Tesla Model $ SRS ($= Expensive, SR = Short Range, S= Slow charging & slow moving).

I'm just glad there is a competitor in the BEV segment that Tesla still beats....
Harsh, but literally true, I guess.
In my mind, the Porsche is worth it if you value its driving experience and better looks (esp. interior) that much.
I don't, but entirely reasonable if someone else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.