Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Electrek. https://electrek.co/2019/12/28/5-things-tesla-bring-market-2020/

2 – Tesla Model S refresh and Plaid
When we first heard of the plan to refresh the Model S and Model X interior, it was in the summer of 2018 and at that time, it was planned for the next year.

Tesla ended up focusing on the Model 3 ramp-up and bringing Model Y to production.

It pushed back the project as Model S and Model X became less important vehicle programs, but we believe it is still in Tesla’s plans.

The automaker is also working on introducing its new ‘Plaid’ tri-motor powertrain and we believe Tesla might be planning to release both the performance improvements and the new interior at the same time.

We believe that Tesla is going to breathe some life into the Model S and Model X programs with a new interior and the new top performance Plaid option around the end of the Summer 2020.
If Elon puts the Model 3 interior into the Model S, Tesla will breathe death, not life into the Model S/X. I have bought 2 Model S’ since 2015 and I will not buy another one if he puts the minimalist interior into them.

But many others will

Only if Tesla also drastically reduces the price. A Model S with a Model 3 interior won't sell at $80K. If they lowered the price to about $45-$50K it would probably sell.

I also expect the Model Y will drastically lower Model 3 sales once it hits stride, at least in the US. The sedan layout is quickly dying in the US and the Model 3 only sells well because it's the only game in town if you want an inexpensive, long range EV with convenient charging on the road. The Model S only held on because it was really a hatchback. The Model Y is much closer to what the US market is buying.

Without a refresh the Model Y might further erode Model S sales to nothing. The Model S offers a bit more range and an interior that is both more roomy and more useful than the Model 3 (trunk vs hatch). The Model Y is going to have similar interior space to the Model S with a hatch for about $50K. At that point the only advantage of the Model S is the longer range. Most people aren't going to pay a $30K premium for range and a bit better aesthetics (to some people's eye).

Do we really have to re-hash the whole confirmation bias thing again where Model S/X owners tie themselves in knots to believe how SUPERIOR the S/X interior is and how Tesla couldn’t possibly sell a single copy if they move in the direction of the 3?

There’s no basis in reality for this assertion. It’s explicitly engineered to coddle your ego and keep you believing you have the superior product, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Come on people. Let it go. OF COURSE a refreshed S/X interior is going to resemble the 3. You need to prepare yourselves for this eventuality, and the whiplash you’re going to endure when you obviously upgrade and then have to undo all of the psychological warfare you’ve been waging with yourself for the past 3 years.

Everyone chill. There’s room in between the extreme perspectives. The S can get a landscape screen and still have a much more premium interior. Isn’t that why Tesla hired the Volvo XC90 interior designer? (Just hope he got it done before he quit or was pushed if I remember correctly).

Reactions: ICUDoc
Everyone chill. There’s room in between the extreme perspectives. The S can get a landscape screen and still have a much more premium interior. Isn’t that why Tesla hired the Volvo XC90 interior designer? (Just hope he got it done before he quit or was pushed if I remember correctly).
Exactly, may be the Model S and X will received some Pullman rear seats, to compete with the Faraday Future, if this EV gets ever built.

This is the same way as car makers like Audi with the A3, A4, A5, A6, A8.. attract different clientele while making basically the same car.

I believe Tesla will upgrade (refresh) S in mid to late 20 as follows:
  • Improved battery chemistry & battery size / form => LR to have min. 120...130 kWh capacity (same pack weight as today). LR range increased from 373 to min. 450 mi.
  • Charging speed increased to 250+ kW. Onboard charger to 22 kW.
  • Landscape screen, larger than current 17". Smaller instrument cluster than today.
  • New interior, 3 type ventilation etc.
  • Improved sound insulation
  • Tri motor in performance version, dual motor in long range. Improved acceleration.
  • Minor changes to chassis => better looks and reduced drag coefficient
  • New head and rear lights
  • Built-in SSD for sentry, Dashcam etc.
  • Starlink connection(?)
  • Power frunk(?)
I think that's what we can realistically expect if it's just going to be a refresh. Perhaps Tesla will go an extra mile and do a full chassis redesign as well(?).

I believe Tesla will upgrade (refresh) S in mid to late 20 as follows:
  • Improved battery chemistry & battery size / form => LR to have min. 120...130 kWh capacity (same pack weight as today).
  • LR range increased from 373 to min. 450 mi.
  • Landscape screen, larger than current 17". Smaller instrument cluster than today.
  • New interior, 3 type ventilation etc.
  • Tri motor in performance version, dual motor in long range. Improved acceleration.
I keept only the bare minimum.
Perhaps Tesla will go an extra mile and do a full chassis redesign as well(?).
This would be great, but: Elon Musk: Model S, Model X production continues for ‘sentimental reasons’

Last edited:
I think that's what we can realistically expect if it's just going to be a refresh. Perhaps Tesla will go an extra mile and do a full chassis redesign as well(?).

If they do switch to a different battery cell format, to the same cell size as the 3 and Y, that might require a full chassis redesign. And if they did that, then they could take the opportunity to work in some other technical improvements, streamlined manufacturing, flex wiring maybe. That would become a true second generation Model S.

Only if Tesla also drastically reduces the price. A Model S with a Model 3 interior won't sell at $80K. If they lowered the price to about $45-$50K it would probably sell.

I also expect the Model Y will drastically lower Model 3 sales once it hits stride, at least in the US. The sedan layout is quickly dying in the US and the Model 3 only sells well because it's the only game in town if you want an inexpensive, long range EV with convenient charging on the road. The Model S only held on because it was really a hatchback. The Model Y is much closer to what the US market is buying.

Without a refresh the Model Y might further erode Model S sales to nothing. The Model S offers a bit more range and an interior that is both more roomy and more useful than the Model 3 (trunk vs hatch). The Model Y is going to have similar interior space to the Model S with a hatch for about $50K. At that point the only advantage of the Model S is the longer range. Most people aren't going to pay a $30K premium for range and a bit better aesthetics (to some people's eye).

The MS will not have a 3 interior it will have and design like the 3, they are not the same in quality and cost. The Y will impact 3 sales but an S has far more range and a Y does not have "similar" interior space as an S other than they both have a hatchback. Moving the S to a 3 design platform affords significant cost savings. This move has been on the drawing board a long time and it is a necessary and strategic change that is aligned with cost and the long-term FSD goals in particular and is required without eliminating the S.

The MS will not have a 3 interior it will have and design like the 3, they are not the same in quality and cost. The Y will impact 3 sales but an S has far more range and a Y does not have "similar" interior space as an S other than they both have a hatchback. Moving the S to a 3 design platform affords significant cost savings. This move has been on the drawing board a long time and it is a necessary and strategic change that is aligned with cost and the long-term FSD goals in particular and is required without eliminating the S.

There was a post here a couple of months ago, that stated the same. The next S will use Model 3 components to lower costs of production and yield even higher profits per unit. The post also stated the original Model 3 interior was much nicer, nicer than the Model S interior and had to be pulled back so as not to steal sales more so from the S. So an interior based on the Model 3 can be luxurious and higher quality.

My opinion is that next year, the Plaid powertrain or new S based on the Model 3 components will be available for order,not delivery. Delivery sometime in 2021.

That was my point, I think he means ready for order not production. If the Model S Plaid is available this time next year for delivery, then its just a powertrain switch in the same body with some new lights and maybe new interior.

Why would they even do that after they have shown the new body design that they are testing? And of course he flat out said it would be in production before the end of next year:

Elon Musk Oct 16

Replying to @Teslarati

The final configuration used at Nürburgring to set the record will go into production around summer 2020, so this is not merely for the track

Status
Not open for further replies.