Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many Continental owners cross-shop a Tesla...

It wasn't available when I bought, but I looked at it. I started out looking at Ford products because there is a Ford dealership in town, the other car dealerships are clumped about 25 miles away, and Tesla is about 35 (it was over 40 when I bought, but the service center moved closer to downtown Portland).

At the end my shortlist was several ICE in the $30-$40K range and the Model S. Most smaller cars were crossed off the list for not having enough legroom. I probably could have found enough legroom in some SUVs, but I was only looking at sedans.

Reactions: FlatSix911
There are several reports on Facebook and over in the Model X forum here of folks getting 195-199kW on a V3 supercharger.
I recently did a detail minute-by-minute audit of my Raven on a v3:

Rated miles / kW charge rate
20 74
24 83
31 137
39 144
47 147
56 148
65 178
76 196
87 190
98 185
108 179
119 172
129 163
138 145
146 134
154 126
162 120
168 116
176 112
182 109
189 107
195 106
202 104
208 105
214 104
221 103
227 99
233 96
238 92
244 89
249 84

The charge rate was momentarily over 200kW at 72 rated miles. All the above measurements were one minute apart, and what really matters is number of rated miles added per minute charging. That's 11 miles/minute for the best 3 minutes and 10 miles/minute for the best 10 minutes. At a v2 charger my max rate from about 20-40% SoC is 8 miles/minute.

As far as long distance travel is concerned Raven vs. Model 3, I don't see a huge difference at the moment.
1) On the initial leg each day on a full charge, Model S gets a head start with 360-400 rated range vs. 310-325.
2) The vast majority of superchargers are still v2, so both the Raven and Model 3 are capped at 150kW. The Model 3 is lighter and adds a max range of 10 miles/minute vs. 8 for the S, so with repeated SC stops the 3 will gradually catch up and pass the S in terms of miles driven in elapsed time.
3) So it's no surprise than on a continuous Cannonball Run, Model 3 lowered the Model S record from 51 to 47 hours. But for most people on a 10-12 hour travel day, I suspect the Model 3 arrives at its destination only modestly sooner than Raven Model S.

Another incremental upgrade... Tesla upgrades Model S with 402-mile range - Electrek

Tsla-Model-s-range.jpg

Interesting timing regarding the 402 mile Model S. Doesn’t seem like an actual “upgrade”, simply a re-rating by the EPA of all S cars since late January. In my mind, the next significant upgrade will be Plaid Model S - which will likely be end of year or early 2021 based on Elon’s comments. Unlikely that they release any other S upgrades anytime soon given that they even published a blog post on this new EPA range.

Interesting timing regarding the 402 mile Model S. Doesn’t seem like an actual “upgrade”, simply a re-rating by the EPA of all S cars since late January. In my mind, the next significant upgrade will be Plaid Model S - which will likely be end of year or early 2021 based on Elon’s comments. Unlikely that they release any other S upgrades anytime soon given that they even published a blog post on this new EPA range.

Summer 2020, according to this post:

Elon Musk: Tesla is going to 'simplify' Plaid tri-motor upgrade, 'was getting too complex' - Electrek

• Funny
  • Funny
Yes if we are to speak strictly re what Elon communicated, it’s q4. When it comes it comes, just gimme :)
Constantly tempted to trade in for a y or x or roadster but I just love a lightning fast sedan, these S’ are such great cars.
Same here. heh. As much as I want it right now, the longer it takes, the longer my money stays in places that are objectively a much better place. Subjectively though, not nearly as fun ;)

I like the instrument layout on the S better than the 3/Y and the S has more room than the 3 as well as more range, but there are not a lot of advantages right now. When the new Performance model comes out there will probably be an uptick in sales for a few months as people trade in their "slow" P100Ds,

How many months does it typically take for Tesla to resolve its workst kinks in a new release? Or does it take a Munro teardown?

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
How many months does it typically take for Tesla to resolve its workst kinks in a new release? Or does it take a Munro teardown?

Depends on the size of the changes. There were not many problems at all with the facelift Model S. Some of the initial problems with the Model S took years to work out, but I haven't heard of many problems with the various incremental changes. They aren't going to come out with a completely redesigned S any time in the near future, so any change will likely be a combination of introducing some things from the Model 3/Y, cosmetic changes, and possibly a few relatively small tech updates. The first two would likely have no bugs and the third may just have minor bugs.

I haven't heard of any serious problems with the Model Y, probably because there is little different beyond some body changes from the Model 3. The tech and core parts are the same between the two. The Model Y has some things that weren't done right with the early 3 fixed, but the 3 is probably incorporating them too.

Reactions: RobStark
Had a '14 S and an '18. I remember my buddy who owns a Tesla collision shop told me about this car. He said if you go a test drive bring your checkbook, because you won't be able to not buy one. My 2012 2 year S class was just about to end. IT was $995/month. The '14 S class lease jumped to about $1800/month. That seems insane to me. My wife thought I was nuts, ...what are you thinking an electric car? She drove it and instantly said wow, I can see everywhere lets take a chance.
My buddy was spot on, although we didn't need the checkbook;). That '14 is still by far the best car we ever had. The '18 not so much, kept having front drive shaft problems and even the Tesla main repair guy said I have to get you out of this car.
Now almost two and a half years later she wants tor try it again, so do I. But it seems like we are in the same place...When to make the purchase. Difficult decision given the constant unknown of if any face light/upgrade will happen. Throw in just came out of a year in a new other manufacturers buy back.
The fact they are 8--12 weeks out may help.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Status
Not open for further replies.