Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Chaserr
Just published on Electrek... Tesla secret project Palladium: new Model S and Model X are coming

The project involves building new production lines for updated versions of the Model S and Model X.

It’s still unclear how far-reaching the Palladium update is going to be, again due to Tesla keeping the information compartmentalized, but it sounds like it could be significant. According to people familiar with the matter, the new Palladium update is going to involve new battery modules and drive units that are going to serve as the basis of the upcoming “Plaid” version of Model S and Model X.

The new powertrain is going to enable a tri-motor configuration for plaid and feature increased performance and efficiency. We don’t have the final numbers just yet, but it should be impressive. Another source told Electrek that it involves more than the powertrain, and one employee even referred to a new “Model S and Model X Palladium Body” — meaning that the new version of the vehicles will have a different body.

Yep! It’s coming finally! I have seen emails from friends who know people at Freemont and this is very top secret although everyone seems to know, but details have been kept very hush hush. What we know is it’s all coming at once. What I am trying to figure out is when they will reveal. Battery day is too far away for them to reveal it all then. The updates are happening as I type this and what I want to know is people ordering Model X/S now, what will happen to their orders.

Yep! It’s coming finally! I have seen emails from friends who know people at Freemont and this is very top secret although everyone seems to know, but details have been kept very hush hush. What we know is it’s all coming at once. What I am trying to figure out is when they will reveal. Battery day is too far away for them to reveal it all then. The updates are happening as I type this and what I want to know is people ordering Model X/S now, what will happen to their orders.

That is very interesting. I have a Model S on hold, maybe I should reconsider and order one or wait for sure on the newer one. I just wonder if it will be a lot more money?

details have been kept very hush hush
I read a lot about Tesla on the 'net.
There are a lot of people interested in the details of upcoming Tesla stuff.
But it seems to me that Tesla is EXTRAORDINARILY good at keeping details under wraps until Elon is ready to announce them.
Look at New Roadster- totally blew us all away at the truck reveal....
'can't wait :)

Reactions: GSP

What's finally coming? A new gen and design or just an interior update?

The article posted in another thread said that there will be some body changes to the S and X.

And I don't think Tesla needs to worry about Osbourning the Model S and X at this point. Sales of the two have been poor the last year and a half. If people quit buying now, it will give them an opportunity to retool for the new version and when it comes out people won't be mad for buying just before the change. Tesla doesn't need the S and X anymore, the 3 and Y are the breadwinners. Of an update of the S and X spurs sales, that will be a bonus.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Is it possible that the new stamping press is actually for the new Plaid version?

I suspect that will probably be installed in the new factories being built. That's the sort of machine that is easier to install before the building is built. If they are going to form the whole chassis in one piece, that does show promise for cheaper manufacturing and will eliminate the criticism for panel gaps, but how do body shops go about repairing the car after an accident? It could mean a minor fender bender that normally would involve replacing a body panel could be impossible to repair.

My old Buick from 1992 was formed by stamping out the entire body as one piece, then it was cut for the openings. It did result in tight panel gaps. That poor car was accident prone, over the 24 years I owned it I had to replace the trunk lid, then one door and fender, and finally the hood. The only job that involved any serious body work was the fender, but the underlying frame structure was undamaged, so it was just a matter of cutting out the old one and welding the new one back in.

If the structural pieces are cast together with the body panels, removing a body panel could damage structural integrity of the car.

Because of the battery pack under the floor, electric cars could return to body on frame construction. Then mating the frame with a cast body would enable this manufacturing technique to save money on manufacturing, but also make repairs feasible.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
it would be pretty surprising. The S and the X are fairly low volume vehicles. That sort of equipment works better, as far as return on investment, if you make it for very high-volume vehicles.

Maybe they're finally planning to make Model S also a volume sales item, like similarly sized cars are for other automakers (Tesla could get significant market share there with properly positioned offering and pricing).

Reactions: FlatSix911
it would be pretty surprising. The S and the X are fairly low volume vehicles. That sort of equipment works better, as far as return on investment, if you make it for very high-volume vehicles.

Even if they were able to get the S and X down to price parity with the 3 and Y the 3 and Y would probably sell better. The best selling cars in the US are about the same size as the 3 and Y. Larger sedans, except expensive luxury cars, have been discontinued, or sell in very low volumes (compare sales of the Camry and the Avalon or Malibu and Impala for examples). And with SUV/CUV the market is mostly midsized vehicles or those built on pickup chassis.

Outside the US, the Model 3 and Y are large cars and a larger car is difficult to maneuver on small streets common in some countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.