Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if they were able to get the S and X down to price parity with the 3 and Y the 3 and Y would probably sell better. The best selling cars in the US are about the same size as the 3 and Y. Larger sedans, except expensive luxury cars, have been discontinued, or sell in very low volumes (compare sales of the Camry and the Avalon or Malibu and Impala for examples). And with SUV/CUV the market is mostly midsized vehicles or those built on pickup chassis.

I'm thinking of Tesla going at getting 95% of the market segment, so it would not matter if it's shrinking, as all segments will eventually be sinking due to FSD and the like. FSD will also improve the parking situation.

Outside the US, the Model 3 and Y are large cars and a larger car is difficult to maneuver on small streets common in some countries.

Some "old" countries in Europe/Asia have small streets (think "old town"), but most are rebuilt or otherwise newer. In some countries it's difficult to find parking place with large cars, but for example where I live, most parking places (and road lanes) are fitted for full size SUV:s (think Q7, GLS, Touareg, Lx, etc.). Road lanes are designed to fit cargo and bus transport anyways.

I still think the BMW 5 Series, Audi A6 and Mercedes E sell well and that and above are the Model S competition. I would not compare it to anything less than those models.... If they revise the Model S it will sell just fine to people like me, that don’t like the Model 3 or Y and there are still quite a few out their like me. :)
agreed....but.....I do like driving my wife's model 3 sometimes cause it's a really fun car to drive

Here’s how they’ll get another A$200k (+) out of me for a new Model S:

- better range and 250KW charging
- new shape (and not another facelift)
- significantly improved interior, materials, fit and finish. even simple things like decent wipers (speed/ pressure adjusted as with BMW) Also upgraded lights (LED)
- more color/ interior choices. They’re (solidly) profitable now - they can afford to allow a bit more customization on their flagship car
- chrome delete option ‍♂️
- soft close doors
- don’t need CarPlay but would like support for 3rd party apps eg. Waze (bring back the “App Store.”?)
- pano roof (please!)

...and, if it looks like this concept from last year, I’ll take it even without any of the above !

upload_2020-7-28_16-15-21.jpeg

Here’s how they’ll get another A$200k (+) out of me for a new Model S:

- better range and 250KW charging
- new shape (and not another facelift)
- significantly improved interior, materials, fit and finish. even simple things like decent wipers (speed/ pressure adjusted as with BMW) Also upgraded lights (LED)
- more color/ interior choices. They’re (solidly) profitable now - they can afford to allow a bit more customization on their flagship car
- chrome delete option ‍♂️
- soft close doors
- don’t need CarPlay but would like support for 3rd party apps eg. Waze (bring back the “App Store.”?)
- pano roof (please!)

...and, if it looks like this concept from last year, I’ll take it even without any of the above !

View attachment 569776

Why don't you just do these mods afermarket, why do you want everyone to have the same car as you do?

I hope they keep the exterior the same or very similar. If the make it like the above, that would not be a winner to me. That is not the classic timeless design like the Model S is now. Make it a different model, as looks more sports car like. :)

Model S is the most beautiful car I know, it has some magic like the perfect hourglass figure 8 proportions, from all angles ;)

Last edited:
If they change the front more like the Model 3, then that will be a loser. Everyone I know, dislikes the front of the Model 3. Looks like a Korean car with that font end. Please Elon, don’t do that....
What would you think about the Unplugged Ascension bumper top (minus the Modena knockoff bottom) on the S with S headlights?

If they change the front more like the Model 3, then that will be a loser. Everyone I know, dislikes the front of the Model 3. Looks like a Korean car with that font end. Please Elon, don’t do that....

The gap for the Model S front end is the opening for the HEPA filter. If they eliminate Biodefense mode, then they might seal up the nose.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krash
Unlike the Ferrari 308, it is unlikely anyone will be EVing the original Miura en mass anytime soon. Here is what Lamborhini's chief designer made in 2006 as a Miura retro concept...
upload_2020-7-31_4-8-28.png

upload_2020-7-31_4-13-15.png

...which they stated they will never build.

Personally while I think the 2016 Model S refresh is beautiful, I don't think it looks as good as the Aston Martin DB9...
upload_2020-7-31_4-28-16.png

I think the Tesla S front grill would still benefit from some work, maybe a few design cues from the new Tesla roadster.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
I think the Tesla S front grill would still benefit from some work, maybe a few design cues from the new Tesla roadster.
...design cues from the Tesla roadster you say...? I cannot take credit for the photoshop work as this is the effort of others however I think this would be a great start. Like many others on these forums, I think the general shape/body lines more than hold their own even 8 years post-release, however a subtle tweak to the nose (and rear) along with some interior and drivetrain improvements would make the revised (not “refreshed”) Model S a showstopper.
90B3B470-950C-4565-A8F2-4BE45AE9893E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.