Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk announces on Twitter: Plaid coming out soon, hope it's past Elon time.

Love this tweet from Elon. :cool:

upload_2020-9-2_9-33-23.png

I don't understand why it's so hard for the competitors to just have the same luxury and design on an electrical version.

They seem to design ugly cars on purpose that are electric.
Maybe they are? If they’re making more on ICE, and have fixed-costs tied to those production lines, why encourage buyers to like your less profitable options more?

The E-Tron is ugly, but not any more so than the X imo. The I-Pace and Taycan are great looking cars. The Polestar is in the same class as M3 and MY imo, and the E-Tron Sportback will be similar. I haven’t gotten to checkout a Mach-E, but it doesn’t seem any better/worse than its Tesla counterparts.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we haven’t gotten a genuine effort from many legacy manufacturers to make EVs that will have more appeal than ICE to their buyers. We’ll see how well and quickly they can fully pivot to EV. It’s not something they all will be able to just throw money at when buyers demand it imo

Reactions: SmartElectric
I don't understand why it's so hard for the competitors to just have the same luxury and design on an electrical version.
Every part of the car has to be redesigned from the ground up to match Tesla. Car companies have lost that ability. They have catalog engineers that order parts from a catalog and put them together.

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass
Every part of the car has to be redesigned from the ground up to match Tesla. Car companies have lost that ability. They have catalog engineers that order parts from a catalog and put them together.

The complaint was in regards to looks. Audi could have just as easily made the E-Tron look like the Q5 or Q7. Legacies are still making great looking ICE cars, PHEV, and EVs. It’s what’s behind the looks that are lacking.

It’s subjective, but which legacy EVs looks worse than Teslas? The X looks like a whale, and although I like the MY, its not necessarily universally acclaimed.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanCar

Legacy car makers are in a catch 22 with EVs. They still make many more ICE than EVs and the battery supply is not there to switch over to mass producing EVs. It's better than a couple of years ago, but they are still supply limited.

They can't make their EVs too compelling or they will Osbourne themselves. If they made an EV that everyone wanted, they would be unable to supply the demand and in the meantime most of the people who wanted the great new EV would put off buying a new car until it was available leaving legacy car lots full of cars with no demand and no ability to make the car people want in the quantities demanded.

Legacy car makers are in a catch 22 with EVs. They still make many more ICE than EVs and the battery supply is not there to switch over to mass producing EVs. It's better than a couple of years ago, but they are still supply limited.

They can't make their EVs too compelling or they will Osbourne themselves. If they made an EV that everyone wanted, they would be unable to supply the demand and in the meantime most of the people who wanted the great new EV would put off buying a new car until it was available leaving legacy car lots full of cars with no demand and no ability to make the car people want in the quantities demanded.

They could just give it an insane price to match the demand hehe. Also they already make EVs that sell well like the BMW i3.

Status
Not open for further replies.