Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They got a pilot production line which is working 24/7.

Lol, no way. Where did you read that it’s fully 24x7 operational?

Production target would be enough for roughly 100.000 model s x. They only sell around 50.000 per yeah and after the price increase I'd expect less.
They’ve already been pretty clear on what models are getting the new cells first. Devoting significant capacity to the Model S/X instead of new products like cyber truck / semi or new markets like Model Y produced in Berlin would be fully insane.

Don't have a link, but there were news about the pilot line being really busy, producing more than a few prototype cars would need.

Goals for pilot battery production are 10 gwh, that's enough for s x, but not for y. They need a real production for that.

Well, to be fair, this is why I think your claim that the pilot line is running “24/7” cranking out cells as fast as it can is dubious at very best.

If we get a 4680 celled S/X in Q1 2021 I’ll eat my hat.

I don’t think the s/x will use 4680 cell right away, but I do think Elon sand bagged Tesla ability to pump out those cells. We know this plant will need to be production ready soon because it will support Berlin and Texas. I say soon, because you need to make the cells, stockpile them, and ship them to Berlin. The size of Berlin factory means there’s needs to be quite a bit of cells too.

The question should be, where are these cells now and in 2 months. it can’t be all prototypes vehicles. Tesla don’t stockpile goods, they are a on-demand supply chain.

Price increase in europe is roughly 6000$, they better deliver something good, otherwise I don't expect a lot of sales.

Additionally in europe the last 69420 reduction didn't happen, so increase in US might be even higher.

In Germany because of the expiration of reduced vat increase is over 8000$.

CARBON DRIVETRAIN?
WTF? Never heard his rumour before- stunning idea!
Sounds very pricey, though....
Glad I locked my Plaid order in early!!

Maybe something like this...

Prototype electrical motor uses carbon nanotube yarn in the motor windings (w/video)
"If we keep the electrical machine design parameters unchanged and only replace copper with future carbon nanotube wires, it is possible to reduce the Joule losses in the windings to half of the present-day machine losses. Carbon nanotube wires are significantly lighter than copper and also environmentally friendlier. Therefore, replacing copper with nanotube wires should significantly reduce the CO2 emissions related to the manufacturing and operating of electrical machines.

More reading:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/f...s for Lightweight Motors and Generators_0.pdf

Maybe something like this...

Prototype electrical motor uses carbon nanotube yarn in the motor windings (w/video)
"If we keep the electrical machine design parameters unchanged and only replace copper with future carbon nanotube wires, it is possible to reduce the Joule losses in the windings to half of the present-day machine losses. Carbon nanotube wires are significantly lighter than copper and also environmentally friendlier. Therefore, replacing copper with nanotube wires should significantly reduce the CO2 emissions related to the manufacturing and operating of electrical machines.

More reading:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2018/04/f50/Carbon Conductors for Lightweight Motors and Generators_0.pdf
Maybe something like that.
I was thinking it meant carbon-fibre driveshafts etc to save weight.
I look forward to finding out what it really does mean!?

Maybe something like that.
I was thinking it meant carbon-fibre driveshafts etc to save weight.
I look forward to finding out what it really does mean!?

Carbon likely means replacing the copper windings with carbon. It’s lighter and can save up to 50% of the losses due to resistance. For example a 90% efficient motor becomes 95%. Besides improving efficiency and range, it also helps with the cooling problem in high performance applications. Less waste energy means less heat that needs to be removed.

So it looks like confirmation of a "new" car (new chassis) after eight years. This will be Tesla first replacement of a selling product, a definite tight rope walk and I can imagine the howls of protest from those that unknowingly bought the last batch of the present gen. Refresh usually means a nip and tuck, change some headlights here or there. A new generation is just that......A new generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.