Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"What is rather interesting is that the Tesla Model S skateboard that has long been a staple of some showrooms have reportedly been pulled out. This has fueled speculations among members of the electric vehicle community that Tesla may be preparing to roll
ut an updated skateboard design for the two flagship vehicles, perhaps one that features some changes on the battery pack."

They removed the skateboard from the Park Meadows store years ago, like 2017, to make room for the Model 3 and none of the other CO locations ever had them. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that any stores still had them on display.

Nice! this came after. hopefully they unveil around earnings this month
Earnings on the 27th. Yes, given all the datapoints on Europe price increases, manufacturing shutdowns, inventory reductions, and showroom changes I think it is reasonable to say -- for the first time in many years -- that a Model S range and interior update is imminent.

Earnings on the 27th. Yes, given all the datapoints on Europe price increases, manufacturing shutdowns, inventory reductions, and showroom changes I think it is reasonable to say -- for the first time in many years -- that a Model S range and interior update is imminent.

Yeah, it only took 3.5 years since the beginning of this thread for “imminent” to be accurate

Well I just took out the $100 insurance policy on a new Performance S to see how this shakes out. I figure it’s worth losing the $100 deposit for the option of locking in current pricing since it seems a substantial refresh may be imminent. I’d prefer to buy an Inventory S if it offers a substantial savings to the refresh model, so if those prices drop and there are any left, I’ll cancel this order and jump on the inventory S. So far the pricing on Inventory S’s haven’t been affected.

Well I just took out the $100 insurance policy on a new Performance S to see how this shakes out. I figure it’s worth losing the $100 deposit for the option of locking in current pricing since it seems a substantial refresh may be imminent. I’d prefer to buy an Inventory S if it offers a substantial savings to the refresh model, so if those prices drop and there are any left, I’ll cancel this order and jump on the inventory S. So far the pricing on Inventory S’s haven’t been affected.

I'll go on record saying that if there is a substantial price increase Tesla isn't gonna honor the old pricing. They'll tell people they can accept the new config/pricing or get their $100 back. I don't see them just eating thousands of dollars per reservation.

I'll go on record saying that if there is a substantial price increase Tesla isn't gonna honor the old pricing. They'll tell people they can accept the new config/pricing or get their $100 back. I don't see them just eating thousands of dollars per reservation.
We took the gamble since there's no way we can lose. We either get the newer car at the old price or get our money back.

Back in 2016, Tesla offered a limited version of a Autopilot to those who paid the original $2500 price when AP2 was released. Those who wanted Enhanced Autopilot when AP2 cars came out had to pay an additional $2500. It's easier for Tesla to do something like that with software features than with hardware/car parts.

Interesting speculation... I'm not sure that I agree with the conclusion regarding the new skateboard design.

"As noted by the Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley group on Twitter, the Tesla Stanford showroom now only features the Model 3 and the Model Y as its display units. Other EV owners and enthusiasts later noted that Tesla showrooms such as the Century City site no longer have Model S and Model X displays either. Test drives for the Model S and Model X are reportedly unavailable for now as well.

What is rather interesting is that the Tesla Model S skateboard that has long been a staple of some showrooms have reportedly been pulled out. This has fueled speculations among members of the electric vehicle community that Tesla may be preparing to roll out an updated skateboard design for the two flagship vehicles, perhaps one that features some changes on the battery pack."

Structural pack already? :eek:

I bought the $100 insurance about 10 days ago. Advisor said I couldn’t make changes so if they introduce a long range +, I have to place a new order with price increase. However, the factory may allow a color change. Hopefully, landscape MCU is built into dash like current ms and NOT an ugly appendage as in models 3/y. If the structural battery case is ready with refresh, they may use the 4680’s because it’s needed for plaid. IMHO, they won’t have different battery cases for plaid & non-plaid. If given the heat pump, does it extend EPA range by 10-15 miles? This exciting!

Reactions: FlatSix911
If given the heat pump, you will have no proper heat when driving in cold climates :)

(I do think they've fixed it now, but major issues with that for M3 2021 in Norway and Sweden, basically no heat... Not fun when -15C - yet another example of too little winter testing/adoption for the vehicles for northern climates unfortunately - that saga seems eternal unfortunately)

Hoping they will announce soon, maybe it is time for upgrading finally! Haven't seen any reasons to upgrade my P85D yet - even if Raven seemed like a reasonable step up, it wasn't enough for me to pull the trigger... A structural battery with around double range and other improvements (like working windshield wipers and better headlights than the crap they put in the EU version in 2015...) would make it interesting for sure!

Reactions: ICUDoc
I would be highly (but happily) surprised if we see 4680 cells this soon. In late Sep 2020, during “battery day”, Elon clearly stated that the dry electrolyte deposit method wasn’t solved yet, and it’s a hard problem to solve.

So I wouldn’t hold my breath on seeing production-ready 4680 cells until later this year (likely next), and it might be a good idea to wait and see how they perform in the first few months anyway as they are not easily replaceable.

If given the heat pump, you will have no proper heat when driving in cold climates :)

(I do think they've fixed it now, but major issues with that for M3 2021 in Norway and Sweden, basically no heat... Not fun when -15C - yet another example of too little winter testing/adoption for the vehicles for northern climates unfortunately - that saga seems eternal unfortunately)

Don't know if they've fixed it yet, but heat pump technology has come quite a ways. Mini-split heat pumps with inverter technology typically work down to minus 13 F, which is -25° C, so your assertion that you will not have any heat when the climate is cold doesn't hold water. That is unless your definition of cold is colder than that.

Don't know if they've fixed it yet, but heat pump technology has come quite a ways. Mini-split heat pumps with inverter technology typically work down to minus 13 F, which is -25° C, so your assertion that you will not have any heat when the climate is cold doesn't hold water. That is unless your definition of cold is colder than that.

It is not the heat pump per se, but some sensor for pressure that put no heat to the cabin. At stand still heating worked fine, but when going at highway speed removed all cabin heating. They will replace those parts now. But it was due to the new design.
I’m super pro heat pumps otherwise - long term user of a geothermal heat pump...

It is not the heat pump per se, but some sensor for pressure that put no heat to the cabin. At stand still heating worked fine, but when going at highway speed removed all cabin heating. They will replace those parts now. But it was due to the new design.
I’m super pro heat pumps otherwise - long term user of a geothermal heat pump...

sure, not all pumps failed though. Live in upper Midwest with a Y and have had no heat issues. Heating like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.