Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. I would like side view cameras.... and I'm not alone.

"Some estimates say that by just getting rid of side mirrors, aerodynamics could improve as much as 5% overall."

Tesla Wants To Eliminate Side Mirrors

Assume an average of 15,000 miles per year, ~3.5 miles per kWh and an average US energy price of $0.13/kWh.

A 5% efficiency improvement saves you $27. A year.

In other words, a single repair for a fancy electronic mirror replacement system will negate any cost savings due to efficiency improvements for a good 10-20 years.

I’ll pass.

Boooooring!... ;-)This body styling has for the most part been in production since 2012 and is getting a bit stale. I mean I still like the current S and think it's a good looking car, but I sure hoped for something that looked a bit more exciting like some of the renderings. Hopefully this is an intentionally subdued test car exterior and the real thing will have a bit more pizzaz. Side view mirrors are so 2020.... we want sideview cameras
Despite my post, I'm actually most interested in functionality over form. So if it has some incredible range and or charging speed improvements, even if it just looks like the suspected test mule above. I'll probably be buying end of this year once all the bugs are worked out.

Almost at 200 pages on the "Model S range and interior update imminent?" thread with less than 24 hours to go till the expected reveal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiger and irish26
Assume an average of 15,000 miles per year, ~3.5 miles per kWh and an average US energy price of $0.13/kWh.

A 5% efficiency improvement saves you $27. A year.

In other words, a single repair for a fancy electronic mirror replacement system will negate any cost savings due to efficiency improvements for a good 10-20 years.

I’ll pass.

I hear ya. Although their cameras seem to be pretty reliable. Now if we can just get them to improve their MCU reliability.

While I wouldn't burn $27 in the street, I'm buying an almost $100k car, so the cost savings is not my primary concern. I'm much more interested in increasing maximum range. 5% extra on 402 = 425 miles. I drive frequently on a route where range is tight in snow, cold or with headwinds. Any extra range I can get is very valuable to me. An extra 23 miles is significant.

Boooooring!... ;-)This body styling has for the most part been in production since 2012 and is getting a bit stale. I mean I still like the current S and think it's a good looking car, but I sure hoped for something that looked a bit more exciting like some of the renderings. Hopefully this is an intentionally subdued test car exterior and the real thing will have a bit more pizzaz. Side view mirrors are so 2020.... we want sideview cameras

Hardly boring... evolution of the breed through incremental improvements.
Porsche only updated the iconic 911 design 6 times in the first 50 years. :cool:

Hardly boring... evolution of the breed through incremental improvements.
Porsche only updated the iconic 911 design 6 times in the first 50 years. :cool:
Facts! If Tesla holds true to updating exterior minimally over the years for all models it’s pretty clear which car will age the best. I’ll take the S hands down. I’ve owned a lot of cars but not one as “practical” and fun to drive as this one.

If the Palladium S is wider than the current version, it's going to be a pain to park anywhere outside of Costco. It'd be nice if they could add the heat pump, the horizontal screen and eke out another 50 miles of range (or more). The flagship shouldn't have less range than their upcoming pickup truck. Of course, adding storage compartments in the doors is a must. If they keep the price at $70K, they may have a winner on their hands.

What we speculating on the price? Same as current, price cut or seeing pricing increases? My guess would be it would be the current pricing. For 3 reasons,
1. You are currently able to place a order today with current prices for the revised S.
2. To stay competitive and not back track dropping below $70k to beat Lucid Motors pricing.
3. Yes, You’re probably getting more range and whatever else sweet to add to the car, however, cost savings found in manufacturing/simplifying will level any possible increase cost for new tech to price match current pricing, that’s just my prediction

What we speculating on the price? Same as current, price cut or seeing pricing increases? My guess would be it would be the current pricing. For 3 reasons,
1. You are currently able to place a order today with current prices for the revised S.
2. To stay competitive and not back track dropping below $70k to beat Lucid Motors pricing.
3. Yes, You’re probably getting more range and whatever else sweet to add to the car, however, cost savings found in manufacturing/simplifying will level any possible increase cost for new tech to price match current pricing, that’s just my prediction

I hope we see it stay at current pricing with significantly improvement in capabilities. A recent European price increase might be indicative of a $5-6k increase for U.S. buyers. This could be well worth the added expense depending on improvements.

I'd like to see a 435+ mi range, return of the bright silver exterior paint color (your S can match your Cybertruck) and the return of the sun roof!

Europe: New Tesla Model S/X Prices Suggest Upcoming Update

Reactions: 5JMJ
Did a Chat on the Tesla order page. "No info on refresh until it is released"

However, if I placed an order now, and it turned out the refresh had a center screen or something else I could not live with, only out $100 USD.

Might be good idea to get ahead of the crowd.

Are we at 200 pages yet?

• Love
Reactions: Tiger
Status
Not open for further replies.