Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range options - would you pay for more than 160miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, 160 miles is plenty. I can only think of one weekend drive about four years ago, when I rented a Prius, that I drove that far in a day.

Obviously, I don't need more than 160 miles now.

When I retire, and have time for road trips, my answer could be different.

When I retire, I could imagine wanting to drive 300 miles, pause for a leisurely lunch, then drive 300 miles more. Even if I should imagine it, I don't think I'd ever desire to drive that much in a day.

Renting a Model S with a 300 mile range (or renting the battery if swapping is offered) for such rare trips seems more likely than buying the longer range battery pack.

Everyone has different needs, but for me the 160 mile range is plenty.

For the very wealthy, offering a very long range makes sense. The convenience factor outweighs the cost in their case.

The heavier the battery, the worse the performance will be.
As we get closer to production, hopefully Tesla will be able to tell us the differences in performance for 0-60 between the 160 range vs 230 range.

I am sure there are other differences between the various models. We will only know more likely by 2010 or 2011 when they get closer to a finished product.

Tesla could decide to lower max torque for 160 miles model. That would lower max discharge rate for those fewer cells and thus prolong their life, closer to that of 230mile model. Otherwise 230mile model should see a little better battery life.

Tesla could decide to lower max torque for 160 miles model. That would lower max discharge rate for those fewer cells and thus prolong their life, closer to that of 230mile model. Otherwise 230mile model should see a little better battery life.

That kind of brings up an interesting point. The batteries with more capacity hurt performance with weight, but they can provide a larger current (and thus more performance) for the same max discharge rate. I wonder if Tesla will limit max torque for the 160 mile pack (as you suggested) or raise torque for the bigger battery packs to compensate for the differences in weight & output current among the different sizes of batteries.

I think it will depend on how much different the weights are among the different battery sizes relative to the car's total weight; if they aren't that different, then they might just stick with the same max torque.

230mile battery is supposed to weigh around 1200 pounds or around 30% of total car weight (4000 pounds). 160mile battery should only weigh around 700 pounds or around 20% of total weight (3500 pounds).

If both versions would get same power and torque then lower-mile version should see about 12% better acceleration - if 230mile had 6s 0-60 time, 160mile would have 5.3s 0-60 time.

I think 160mile version will have lower power and torque to produce similar (or slightly weaker) acceleration as 230mile version. In this way they avoid lower priced version having better performance (acceleration) and also that smaller battery will last as long as the bigger one. Seem logical to me and is very easily doable in software.

Kevin Harney:
I am teetering between the 230 battery and the 300. I need to be able to do 170 miles of highway driving and be able to recharge to a full charge in 2 days on a standard 110v 15 A circuit to be able to make the return trip.
48 hours x 110V x 15 A = 79kWh
I doubt 80kWh will suffice for a complete charge of empty 300mile pack but it should suffice for such a pack after 200 miles of driving.

Last edited:
48 hours x 110V x 15 A = 79kWh
I doubt 80kWh will suffice for a complete charge of empty 300mile pack but it should suffice for such a pack after 200 miles of driving.

Electrical Code here in the US would require a maximum 12 amp draw from a 15 amp circuit resulting in 48 hours x 110V x 12 A = 63kWh or more typically 48 hours x 120V x 12 A = 69kWh

I have seen the Roadster charging screen while on a 110 MC. It shows about 117 volts and 15 amps. Aren't the standard outlet circuits actually 20 amps?

Many but not all modern receptacle circuits have a 20 amp breaker and wiring but feed multiple 15 amp receptacles (2 vertical prongs). A 20 amp circuit feeding a 20 amp device (16 amps max) should have a 20 amp receptacle (1 vertical and 1 horizontal prong).

I would like to direct your attention to the following website where you can easily see how large a 160, 230, or 300 mile circle is around your home or permanent residence:
Mapping and Distance Tools

From my parents' house location, I made this map (which shows you could easily reach either Chicago or Detroit from where they live).

try this one instead

Drivable radius map

it's not a "as the crow flies" radius. Rather it's based on actual drivable roads.
i registered this account just to say this. i spent 3 hours looking, and figured i'd save other people the effort of finding it all over again.
enjoy

try this one instead

Drivable radius map

it's not a "as the crow flies" radius. Rather it's based on actual drivable roads.
i registered this account just to say this. i spent 3 hours looking, and figured i'd save other people the effort of finding it all over again.
enjoy

Thanks for that! It's interesting that even with the 300 mile pack I won't quite make it all the way to Kansas City or St. Louis from my home (some fairly common trips for my family) assuming 80% actually usable range.

Yeah, with the 160, I've pretty much accepted that I should only expect 100 miles to a charge. If I can keep my foot out of the carburetor, so to speak, hopefully I can do better. But this will be a limited mileage vehicle, and I will have to change my driving habits to use it effectively.

But as someone pointed out in another thread, I hope to upgrade the battery pack in time when the price comes down or when I have the money to upgrade...

A 160 mile pack would be cutting it kinda close for comfort, but the 230 mile option would be more than enough for me. So that would be my choice, except the roughly $8-10k premium may push it over my budget ... but then it's at least 2 years away anyway and things could change...