Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: rattling sound from front suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2,500 miles in from new: love the car. Cannot imagine going back to an ICEmobile. Not ever.

But...slight rattling sound from driver's side front suspension from 1,000-ish miles from new. Getting gradually worse...can hear it up to about 40mph, after which point wind and road noise drown it out.

Noise not "felt" or heard through steering column, but seems to come from general area of driver's side front suspension, and is in keeping with certain road surfaces.

Visiting SC soon for an inspection.

Anybody else had similar issues?

Update from earlier...

Visited SC today. Had a brief unscheduled drive with technician, who said he thought it was the issue I suspected. He confirmed there is a "fix".
SC will conduct fuller test drive in a couple of weeks to confirm. If confirmed, they will carry out the work.

Based on my experience don't part with your car until they confirm they have the replacement parts in their hot little hands (not "somewhere else nearby" even).

if you are happy to put miles on their loaner then ignore! but IME that means that things like TeslaFi logging are also lost for the period of time, and the lack of "Download your CONFIG preferences to the Loaner" I find an annoyance too.

Reactions: 85Drew
Thanks.

I don't really want to be without my MS for any length of time, as, if nothing else, I pay for it monthly.

So, unless Tesla say they need to take my car from me for safety reasons, then I think I'll hang onto it until the parts are literally in their hands and they're ready to fit them.

Having said all that, the rattle is becoming rather annoying...a silent loaner could appeal!

Try this Tesla Service bulletin. https://www.tsbsearch.com/Tesla/SB-18-31-009

After doing the test and the rattle went away they say to replace the struts. I just put 8 rubber washers above and below the shock tower brace and the rattle went away.

Attachments

• IMG_8585.jpg
    IMG_8585.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 481
Reactions: vescrig
Try this Tesla Service bulletin. https://www.tsbsearch.com/Tesla/SB-18-31-009

After doing the test and the rattle went away they say to replace the struts. I just put 8 rubber washers above and below the shock tower brace and the rattle went away.
Can you describe how you went about doing this? I have a rattle on my suspension they suspect is coming from the tower but can’t seem to figure out where. I’m out of warranty and don’t want to pay thousands of dollars if it’s literally just some washers needed. Is this an easy diy?